Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2012, 09:26 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
So, its not ok for two fully health tested merles to be bred but its ok for Jim and Bob down the street to breed their untested dogs? What if Jim and Bob don't know that both of their dogs have a thyroid problem? Still ok? I mean really.
To turn that around, why isn't it ok for Jim and Bob down the street to breed their untested dogs or two dogs that have thyroid problems if it is ok to knowingly breed two merles together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
FWIW There were some influential workingAussies that resulted from merle x merle breedings.
So what? It's ok because people have done it before and because the dogs were working dogs? "Honey, I know I had an affair, but JFK did it AND HE WAS THE PRESIDENT!!!!!". Yea, that works. People used to do and do all kinds of things but that doesn't automatically make it ok, a la the old parents' standby "if all your friends jumped off the Empire State Building, would you?"

Quote:
FWIW I'm not saying I think it's a great idea to breed merle to merle in Collies or Shelties or breeds at a high risk for blind/deaf double merles. But this sort of thing has been done throughout the history of the breed and the only reason it's being discussed now by people who have no involvement or interest in the breed is due to an article written by someone who seems to think breeding any merle or any Collie for that matter is questionable ethics.
I call BS. I've seen (sometimes heated) discussions about double merle breedings long before this on various forums. And besides, so what if that really is the reason? You're not allowed to care about the issue because you just learned about it?