Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Collie that won Westminster is son of double merle

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2...s-cruelty.html

The article is more than a little dramatic, but still interesting and the information is dissappointing. I'm wondering how many more breeders out there are breeding double merle stud dogs just to produce all merle litters.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Yep...I was aware of this.

I am more than a little sad that someone would justify doing a breeding like this knowing the consequences

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I know of one sheltie breeder who I believe still has the brag of their merle x merle breeding on their webpage. One of the agility folks I know has one of their dogs, I LOVE his dog, so I went looking to see if I could find out more about the breeder. (This was before I decided to get Payton and was considering trying to find another breeder.) And that's what I found, a big "oh, we are so excited about our merle x merle breeding!!"
It really does make me feel physically ill, not just that somebody would do this, but would then turn around and BRAG about it.

I don't think it's incredibly common, but I would say it's more common than we probably all would like to think.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I know of one sheltie breeder who I believe still has the brag of their merle x merle breeding on their webpage. One of the agility folks I know has one of their dogs, I LOVE his dog, so I went looking to see if I could find out more about the breeder. (This was before I decided to get Payton and was considering trying to find another breeder.) And that's what I found, a big "oh, we are so excited about our merle x merle breeding!!"
It really does make me feel physically ill, not just that somebody would do this, but would then turn around and BRAG about it.

I don't think it's incredibly common, but I would say it's more common than we probably all would like to think.
It isn't the first time I have heard about something like this... I hate it that people can justify doing these things

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am more than a little sad that someone would justify doing a breeding like this knowing the consequences
That pretty much sums it up. The article is a little sensationalized (as are the related articles at the bottom) but it is sad that people think it's okay to breed merle to merle.

If you can't find a suitable non-merle stud, why not make it your goal to breed one?
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm All Ears

Unfortunately I know of a few sheltie breeders that have done breedings like this.

Quote:
Yep me too. And I've heard all the excuses for it. I don't buy any of it. At all.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2...s-cruelty.html

The article is more than a little dramatic, but still interesting and the information is dissappointing. I'm wondering how many more breeders out there are breeding double merle stud dogs just to produce all merle litters. :
ALL of the articles having to do with Collies on this guys website/blog are very dramatic. Clearly the guy does not like Collies. If you want to see for yourself, do a search for his other collie articles, I first saw this site last summer and read through a bunch of them.

Also, check out the 2010 Sheltie results for Westminster. The dog that won is sired by a double merle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
That pretty much sums it up. The article is a little sensationalized (as are the related articles at the bottom) but it is sad that people think it's okay to breed merle to merle.

If you can't find a suitable non-merle stud, why not make it your goal to breed one?
I do not personally agree with doing merle x merle breedings, however I do know of a breeder who has a double merle smooth. He was the result of an accidental breeding that took place while the dog was at the handlers.. a sable merle stud got into a run with a blue merle bitch. The resulting litter had a double merle, who is I believe at least some what deaf and blind. The owner kept the dog, and he sired a few litters. Never actually seen the dog in person though.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
such sights to show you

Yea, I think it's pretty indefensible. Just sad what people can justify to themselves.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwind View Post
ALL of the articles having to do with Collies on this guys website/blog are very dramatic. Clearly the guy does not like Collies. If you want to see for yourself, do a search for his other collie articles, I first saw this site last summer and read through a bunch of them.

Also, check out the 2010 Sheltie results for Westminster. The dog that won is sired by a double merle.

I do not personally agree with doing merle x merle breedings, however I do know of a breeder who has a double merle smooth. He was the result of an accidental breeding that took place while the dog was at the handlers.. a sable merle stud got into a run with a blue merle bitch. The resulting litter had a double merle, who is I believe at least some what deaf and blind. The owner kept the dog, and he sired a few litters. Never actually seen the dog in person though.
Pups should have been aborted plain and simple. I hope he culled the poor disabled pups.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yea, I think it's pretty indefensible. Just sad what people can justify to themselves.
I agree. There is NOTHING that makes this okay. It's sickening, and it's just another nail in the coffin for those of us who are working our collective arses off to do right by involving ourselves with purebred dogs.

Those collie people are wreaking havoc on the reputations of ALL breeders and exhibitors. They're stabbing us in the back, all so they can have "pretty" puppies for themselves. Selfish, selfish, selfish. And the dogs are the ones that suffer the most. It's just... just awful.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)