Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
cliffdog's Avatar
cliffdog cliffdog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 349
Default

Exactly what Adrianne said, I prefer to keep dogs in the fresh air when I'm not home rather than stock in a crate, that's not to say that I'll keep dogs outside 24/7. My dogs are usually outside during the day when nobody's home or if it's just nice out and then inside with the family the rest of the time. Just don't like crating for several hours unless I really, really HAVE to.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
cliffdog's Avatar
cliffdog cliffdog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 349
Default

I'd like to point out though that when I first started SAR, the head honcho told me I should keep my dogs in a kennel and only take them out to work. Said it built the dog's drive and desire to work. He wasn't fond of how people like myself, my trainer, and my sister brought our dogs inside.

I only prefer tethering to kenneling because it provides more space, but as for a dog like a corgi, I'd probably put the dog in a raised kennel. Smaller dog, smaller space.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM
cliffdog's Avatar
cliffdog cliffdog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyce View Post
I've noted a size bias in many sports and work, not just in SAR. As someone who has done protection sport, herding, agility, scentwork and more with her Cardis, I get biased/breedist people in all venues who simply don't like short dogs. I have to remind them though, these are cattle herding dogs, and my dogs can, and do herd cattle, sheep, goats, ducks, and chickens.
That's why I love them so much! I'm a sucker for a cute little dog that can go out there and take care of business.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM
dreameyce's Avatar
dreameyce dreameyce is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
Exactly what Adrianne said, I prefer to keep dogs in the fresh air when I'm not home rather than stock in a crate, that's not to say that I'll keep dogs outside 24/7. My dogs are usually outside during the day when nobody's home or if it's just nice out and then inside with the family the rest of the time. Just don't like crating for several hours unless I really, really HAVE to.
As long as they're safe from intruders, I don't see what's wrong with securing them in a yard, instead of a crate. I wouldn't keep a Cardi as an "outside dog", but aside from the safety considerations, I wouldn't see a problem with Cardis being secured in a yard, instead of a crate when you're not supervising them.
__________________
Emily and the canine sidekicks in N. Texas

DreamEyce Studio all-breed and custom dog art, and professional photography.
www.DreamEyce.com

Visit us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/DreamEyceStudio
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 PM
dreameyce's Avatar
dreameyce dreameyce is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post

I really like what I have seen from "Chase" of Elyan Corgis. He has some awesome progeny...my friend's is a tracking machine!
I like what Chase, and his brother Pilot are producing, Pilot was BOB at Westminster this year- the charismatic boy with the eye patch. Nice working and show dogs, which I'm a total sucker for! I want dogs who can work the field or stock one day, then win in the show ring the next
__________________
Emily and the canine sidekicks in N. Texas

DreamEyce Studio all-breed and custom dog art, and professional photography.
www.DreamEyce.com

Visit us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/DreamEyceStudio
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 PM
MyHorseMyRules
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think what it really comes down to is figuring out what kind of terrain you would typically be dealing with and what kind of callouts you'd typically be getting. Most of the terrain we work here, a small dog wouldn't be well-suited to it. Take me for instance. I would love to train a Terv in HRD. But a Terv wouldn't be well-suited to searching all day in our muggy heat. Can they be great at SAR? Definitely. But if we had a Terv on the team, they would seldom get called out because a lot of our callouts are in-state. They would most likely be waiting for a callout in a cooler climate. On the other hand, they would be perfect for someone in an area that usually had cooler weather. You just need to figure out whether or not a corgi would be suited to working in your area OR be prepared for the possibility of not getting many callouts. It's not breed-biased. It's just logical. You have to take a step back, look at the big picture, and be honest with yourself. And if it turns out that a corgi would be perfect for where you are, awesome! If not, you can either select another breed or train the corgi and go out on callouts that it would be well-suited for.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
cliffdog's Avatar
cliffdog cliffdog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: LA (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHorseMyRules View Post
I think what it really comes down to is figuring out what kind of terrain you would typically be dealing with and what kind of callouts you'd typically be getting. Most of the terrain we work here, a small dog wouldn't be well-suited to it. Take me for instance. I would love to train a Terv in HRD. But a Terv wouldn't be well-suited to searching all day in our muggy heat. Can they be great at SAR? Definitely. But if we had a Terv on the team, they would seldom get called out because a lot of our callouts are in-state. They would most likely be waiting for a callout in a cooler climate. On the other hand, they would be perfect for someone in an area that usually had cooler weather. You just need to figure out whether or not a corgi would be suited to working in your area OR be prepared for the possibility of not getting many callouts. It's not breed-biased. It's just logical. You have to take a step back, look at the big picture, and be honest with yourself. And if it turns out that a corgi would be perfect for where you are, awesome! If not, you can either select another breed or train the corgi and go out on callouts that it would be well-suited for.
Makes perfect sense. I live in an area where there biggest problem is humidity. It doesn't get into triple-digits usually, but it's really, really humid. Our winters are pretty nice, though. Probably wouldn't want to use a corgi in the hottest months, but I think 8-9 months out of 12, it'd work out.

We do have a pretty significant breed bias here, though... Labs and GSDs are prone to be certified before a different breed of dog who's equally as prepared.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 PM
dreameyce's Avatar
dreameyce dreameyce is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Denton, Texas
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHorseMyRules View Post
You just need to figure out whether or not a corgi would be suited to working in your area OR be prepared for the possibility of not getting many callouts. It's not breed-biased. It's just logical. You have to take a step back, look at the big picture, and be honest with yourself. And if it turns out that a corgi would be perfect for where you are, awesome! If not, you can either select another breed or train the corgi and go out on callouts that it would be well-suited for.
Finding a suitable breed for your needs is common sense period. What I commented on though is the flat out "Such and such breed can not work" commentary I see often on breeds not often see working. Since you have to live with a dog you work with, finding a dog you will enjoy living with *and* have a sound working relationship is incredibly important in life.
__________________
Emily and the canine sidekicks in N. Texas

DreamEyce Studio all-breed and custom dog art, and professional photography.
www.DreamEyce.com

Visit us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/DreamEyceStudio
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
stafinois's Avatar
stafinois stafinois is offline
Professional Nerd
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 1,611
Default

I knew a guy with a Kelpie/Schipperke that was an excellent SAR dog. He'd used bigger dogs in the past, but this dog's smaller size made her more portable. She was still an athletic dog and excellent working dog.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM
Red Chrome's Avatar
Red Chrome Red Chrome is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
Exactly what Adrianne said, I prefer to keep dogs in the fresh air when I'm not home rather than stock in a crate, that's not to say that I'll keep dogs outside 24/7. My dogs are usually outside during the day when nobody's home or if it's just nice out and then inside with the family the rest of the time. Just don't like crating for several hours unless I really, really HAVE to.
I have nothing against a dog being kenneled instead of crated. In fact, I have 2 dogs that are kenneled outside when I am not home in safe secure kennels with tops,bottoms and solid sides 1/2 way up. The impression you give on the other forum is that you do not want inside dogs period.....in fact that is what you have said over and over there. It is a personal choice and although I would never do that....it is your perogative. However, I think it would limit the breeds you could own with success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyce View Post
As long as they're safe from intruders, I don't see what's wrong with securing them in a yard, instead of a crate. I wouldn't keep a Cardi as an "outside dog", but aside from the safety considerations, I wouldn't see a problem with Cardis being secured in a yard, instead of a crate when you're not supervising them.
I don't have any qualms with it either. However, while posting elsewhere, this persons attitude is that dogs do not belong in the house and he doesn't want inside dogs at all and has posted to that affect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyce View Post
I like what Chase, and his brother Pilot are producing, Pilot was BOB at Westminster this year- the charismatic boy with the eye patch. Nice working and show dogs, which I'm a total sucker for! I want dogs who can work the field or stock one day, then win in the show ring the next
I love the Chase progeny I have seen. I knew that about Pilot who is an awesome dog! My friend's Chase daughter is so neat. I have actually considerd getting a Cardi to do Schutzhund with! Her dog is just so neat and drivey! I love her!!
__________________
Osyrius SilverChrome GTOVonMarionHaus-OFA H/E DM Free CGC DDJ RN BH
WBBs BleauChrome Lady of TheCopa-CGC STARR Naughty RockStar
The BlackChrome Executioner VonMarionHaus-Puppy Terrorist
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site