Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-14-2012, 02:10 AM
*Now with Snark*

Default One of those days

where I am proud to be a Washingtonian.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rriage14m.html

And to my friends who choose to get married... I'll be the one in the back cheering for you.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Top Dog

Gov. Gregoire is a HUGE embarrassment to me. She is so far left, she could fall into the Pacific at any moment. Fortunately, she's not running for re-election. I wonder who these raging liberals in this nanny state will choose next.

As far as this gay marriage thing, I don't really have a strong opinion on that. It's fine with me. I don't see it as a political issue in the first place. The polititans. should stay out of things like that. But oh well...It's fine and I'm happy for the gay people if that's what they want, though I think it's kind of silly because I thought the institution of marriage, by definition was meant for a male and female. But it doesn't hurt anything and is fine by me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Twin 2.0

Or a male and a harem of females, or a rapist and his victim...

Marriage in it's current definition is relatively new and I don't think it's anyone's place to deny legal benefits and that "next level" to anyone. There's little enough love in the world as is, we should allow those who have found it to celebrate it how they wish.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm talking about the dictionary definition. So, what I meant was that the word itself may not apply accurately to a gay marriage. But that's neither here nor there I guess, to me. I agree that they should be able to celebrate as they wish and that it should not be mandated by government or anyone else. And it's fine by me. I'd rather see everybody happy and doing their own thing as long as it doesn't infringe on others' rights, which it does not. I would like to see these types of issues out of the hands of our control-freak politicians. That does disgust me.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM
& the Muttly Crew

*happy dance*

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
*Now with Snark*

I don't really care who our Gov is for this event. That paper could have been signed by Carl Rove using the blood of a newborn goat and I wouldn't have cared so long as the signature was binding. All I care about it is that they signed it and barring legal challenge it'll stand. I don't see it as anything but putting right what should be a no brainer. Words and their usages evolve over time - personally I don't let the dictionary rule my personal rights, nor yours and I feel granting that freedom should be celebrated. There are worse things in this world than allowing people who care for each other to commit to it and have that union be recognized with all the legal protections that go with it.

So for my friends who now can get married to those they care about Chris, David, John, Carrie, Gina, and Donald ~ I'm so happy for you all.

PS As part of the nanny state liberal left I can assure you Christine Gregoire is not our champion - far from it.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

As NYer, I welcome you

(Though after learning that Matt Bomer has just come out, I'm kind of annoyed at gay men. jk (kind of))

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Twin 2.0

I, too, applaud everyone in that state and the state itself!

Congratulations to all your friends and all their friends as well.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
But oh well...It's fine and I'm happy for the gay people if that's what they want, though I think it's kind of silly because I thought the institution of marriage, by definition was meant for a male and female. But it doesn't hurt anything and is fine by me.

You know, Dober, I thought the same thing at one point . . . you know, as long as it is the same rights and such, who cares what is called. But after having ended up getting to know a number of gay couples quite well . . . it matters a great deal to them. Because they feel that what they have is a marriage . . . and having gotten to know them and seeing their relationship, I don't know what else I'd call it either. Its a marriage . . . a livelong partnership between two people, with all its up and downs and compromises and fights and promises and broken promises and love and pain and joy. And they want people to realize that that is what it is and that its as real, and important and valid as a hetrosexual marriage. I'll never forget the gay partner who used to sit next to me saying, with a great deal of emotion "I never thought I'd get to have a church wedding" after both DC and the Episcopal Church decided to recognize gay marriages. He'd had a "civil union" with his husband for years . . . but it wasn't the same. Not for him. It was that, actually, that put me firmly on the side of marriage equality. Frankly, it makes no difference to me whatsoever if gay people get married or what they call it. It doesn't effect me in any way. But it matters a huge amount to them.

Congratulations to Washington!

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Taxiderpy

This has been making the rounds through my facebook friends. It made me lol.