Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Maybe it was some teenage way of telling them how she feels.... Maybe they should have sat down with her and asked her why she felt the way she did.
She felt the way she did because she totally, like, had too many chores to do! Duh! 10 minutes of chores a day is so unfair!

And like, her parents are such meanies for not buying her an iPod and wanting her to get, like, a job to pay for it. They should, like, totally pay her for making her own bed and sweeping the floors.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
I suspect she KNEW her dad would see it seeing as this was a 2nd offence.

Maybe it was some teenage way of telling them how she feels.... Maybe they should have sat down with her and asked her why she felt the way she did.
maybe they did. You don't know that they didn't. maybe she just felt the way she does because she's lazy and ungrateful lol Maybe that's why he lost his cool and made this video. Maybe they tried everything else (more than once). Maybe they tried sitting down and talking with her about her feelings but it didn't change anything

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I don't disagree that he was just as boneheaded. I don't think he's a hero or anything. I think he's just the average parent doing the best he can and sometimes slipping up. I also don't think this is the tragedy in this girls life that everyone seems to be convinced it is. Not here but some of the comments on different news stories are so ridiculous. claiming that because of this she's probably going to grow up to be a prostitute or a drug addict. WHAAAAAA? really?

yes... it's always truly public. you put it online... it's public.you can set your settings to private but it still shows over in the ticker bar on the side of facebook to people who are friends of your friends or your friends friends friends... so to speak lol.

I see people's statuses all the time that I don't have on my friends list and their pages are set to "private". whenever someone on my friends list comments on one of their friends pages... I can see it in the ticker on the side.

not truly private. nothing online ever is
Oh I agree with you there.........this 'one incident' shouldn't send her over the edge to drugs or prostitution, etc etc.

On the other hand, people all over facebook (and other places) are hailing him as some sort of "parenting hero" or "lesson teaching warrior"........THERE is where I'm having a big problem. He is in no way shape or form an example of good parenting or sound lesson teaching. His actions are just as immature as hers were but the only difference is HE is supposed to be the mature one, the parent, the teacher.

This child, YES child, needed a lesson in internet use, respectful behavior towards her parents, perhaps even how to tell the truth (who knows but them) but his way is DEFINITELY not the answer to any of those things, which of course begs the question: How many of his past 'lessons' were along the same line as the one we've witnessed? *shudders*
Old 02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Bratty dad spawns bratty teen... stop the press...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by acooper View Post
oh

on the other hand, people all over facebook (and other places) are hailing him as some sort of "parenting hero" or "lesson teaching warrior"........there is where i'm having a big problem. He is in no way shape or form an example of good parenting or sound lesson teaching. His actions are just as immature as hers were but the only difference is he is supposed to be the mature one, the parent, the teacher.

This child, yes child, needed a lesson in internet use, respectful behavior towards her parents, perhaps even how to tell the truth (who knows but them) but his way is definitely not the answer to any of those things, which of course begs the question: How many of his past 'lessons' were along the same line as the one we've witnessed? *shudders*

exactly!!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Bratty dad spawns bratty teen... stop the press...
Seriously. I have had 20-30 parent conferences this year for my problem students, and in just about every one it's immediately apparent why the child is being a brat. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

There are the occasional outliers where parents do everything "right" and child is a screw ball, but it's rare.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
She felt the way she did because she totally, like, had too many chores to do! Duh! 10 minutes of chores a day is so unfair!

And like, her parents are such meanies for not buying her an iPod and wanting her to get, like, a job to pay for it. They should, like, totally pay her for making her own bed and sweeping the floors.

I'm not this girl obviously, but I had the exact same complaints at her age. I think I might have even nastily informed my mother that I wasn't her slave-lol. My underlying reason? I didn't feel like doing it.....not very deep or earth shattering.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Seriously. I have had 20-30 parent conferences this year for my problem students, and in just about every one it's immediately apparent why the child is being a brat. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

There are the occasional outliers where parents do everything "right" and child is a screw ball, but it's rare.
I have very, very rarely worked with a family where the problem hasn't been fixable if the PARENTS changed something about their parenting (make that never).

And that doesn't involve being a brat yourself.....

I am not saying teenagers don't take the royal p!ss. They do. They need consequences. But....... this? As a consequence?

Even the WORST teenagers I work with (think violent, damaged kids) respond the best to FIRM boundaries, but if you did this to them they would be lost forever. Seriously forever.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-13-2012, 04:36 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
(other than perhaps about privacy settings, but I don't think that's the real lesson to be learned here).
Didn't he say that she used her privacy settings to block her parents from seeing it, but it came out anyway? In that case, the lesson is, privacy settings aren't secret keepers, so don't put anything on FB that you don't want the world to know.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.

Last edited by AliciaD; 02-13-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
Didn't he say that she used her privacy settings to block her parents from seeing it, but it came out anyway? In that case, the lesson is, privacy settings are secret keepers, so don't put anything on FB that you don't want the world to know.
Another good lesson. But not the way to teach it.

And "parenting hero" . . . yeah, I agree . . what other lessons has he taught . . .and what other lessons will be inspired by this?

And as for putting the lesson on the internet . . . didn't this start because of putting inappropriate stuff on the internet? Because telling the world about your family dispute is fun for the whole family . . . "PAGING JERRY SPRINGER"

No, I don't think this ruined her life. But I don't think she'll forgive him for it either. I wouldn't have.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com