Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
<--------Orson

I get anxious over certain things, nothing life disrupting and certainly nothing 'diagnosable'

My youngest son has social anxieties. (age 12) He is not on any type of meds. We are working with him to deal with them in a more constructive manner and without medication. At the moment he acts out or shuts down when social issues become too much for him.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I just wonder if it is becoming more common as a chronic illness, or if Chaz is over represented.
I think the internet in general is over represented actually. At least in terms of social anxiety. A lot of people have an easier time interacting through the screen than they do face to face. I get a little stressed out over new social situations but I (generally speaking lol) don't worry about that on the internet. There's a niche for everyone.

Disclaimer: I don't really think this applies to Chaz. I was completely intimidated when I first started posting here but this forum is not the norm. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
She won't go into a restaurant by herself if she's waiting for us, because she gets that anxious about walking in and every one staring at her.
Yep that's me. Somehow I've gotten a lot better about it in the last 2 years or so, but it used to be I wouldn't even go to Target by myself because, in my mind, everyone is focused on me and judging me. I still won't go alone to places I'm not familiar with though because I feel like I look stupid for not knowing where things are and whatnot.... and that it looks less stupid if you're with someone.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yep that's me. Somehow I've gotten a lot better about it in the last 2 years or so, but it used to be I wouldn't even go to Target by myself because, in my mind, everyone is focused on me and judging me. I still won't go alone to places I'm not familiar with though because I feel like I look stupid for not knowing where things are and whatnot.... and that it looks less stupid if you're with someone.
I couldn't live like that.... It would seriously do my head in!!! Funny because I used to be PAINFULLY shy as a child.... I guess I outgrew it.

I dislike people more and more each year, but that's for totally different reasons
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I think the internet in general is over represented actually. At least in terms of social anxiety. A lot of people have an easier time interacting through the screen than they do face to face.
This is what I've found as well.

I've battled with social anxiety disorder for my entire life. I can easily trace it back all the way to when I was a little kid. I was diagnosed during college, only because I just quietly dealt with it while growing up.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I am like that....I have a bad fear of making a mistake or doing something stupid. Sounds silly but one reason I was never really good at say, ice skating. My friends would just get out and go...if they fell, they fell. I was PETRIFIED of falling and looking stupid. Makes no sense as I never thought they did. I still really really envy people who are themsleves and make no apologies for it. I am, once I am comfortable. Get me in a new situation though and I tend to freeze.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Squishy face

I have adult ADD (diagnosed by a professional) which does impact my daily life. Its weird to be a human being and just not understand how to interact with other human beings sometimes.

I do have anxiety issues, but I'm not sure if they'd be a diagnosable disorder. It doesn't really impact *daily* life. I don't have anxiety attacks every day, but I have them every week. And I can't be around large groups of people for a long period of time or the anxiety just builds until I'm ready to snap, like a dog who's stress signals have been ignored too long. Of course, the definition of "long period of time" can vary depending on my mood that day and whether or not there are animals present. Animals help a great deal with my anxiety.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
This is what I've found as well.

I've battled with social anxiety disorder for my entire life. I can easily trace it back all the way to when I was a little kid. I was diagnosed during college, only because I just quietly dealt with it while growing up.
This is why first meeting me is awkward LOL.

Seriously, I have a meetup planned with a few members on here, and we figure it'll be super awkward cause we all fail at social settings

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I don't get it?
You really don't?

It's like asking the validity of ADHD or more recently Aspergers, except, with even more debate as the symptoms can be so widely expressed and many people in this case self diagnose.

In a world where I get calls almost daily asking, "I have a dog, I want to take them with me, I get social anxiety, where do I buy the vest?" You're bound to start a fabulous discussion when you ask a group of dog people online if they have chronic anxiety. Dare I say those with any varying sense of social anxiety often feel most comfortable online and in the company of animals.

I would gamble that most every human alive has had some form of anxiety, it is however a conversation of relativity limiting out those who are truly crippled by their condition.

Some of us have spent years with medications, counseling, special schooling, and special exercises to overcome and assimilate more fluidly. Some, well, they take the minimalist effects of the condition and it as a shield and scape goat. It's actually fascinating when it's not used by society as a means to demean those truly unable to function.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Sounds silly but one reason I was never really good at say, ice skating. My friends would just get out and go...if they fell, they fell. I was PETRIFIED of falling and looking stupid. Makes no sense as I never thought they did.
I'm having that problem right now actually lol. I've always been sad that my dad never taught me to ice skate (he taught my brothers and they all played hockey). I made the mistake of telling my friend/roommate and she really wants to teach me. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of excuses pretty soon, right now I can rely on "I don't have any skates" but she keeps telling me we can rent them and whatnot. I can just see myself start crying after maybe two or three falls. Plus I'll start with my excessive smiling and laughing that I do when I'm nervous and that always makes me feel like a real idiot.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!