Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
100% agree...

The daughter was a brat, but it's not hard to see where she got it from. Publicly humiliating your child is not the answer when they act out. From the sounds of it, she was blowing off steam, which is pretty typical of a teenager in the annoying rebellious phase. Instead of sitting her down and explaining how that made him feel, taking away her privileges (including computer), and giving her abused belongings to charity until she grew up, he damaged what little relationship was there in the first place. He had the opportunity to basically say "Look, you acted very selfishly and childishly. Now I am going to address this as an adult and show you how mature, adults handle problems between one another".

So I guess I will join the minority and say that I think his response to her being a typical jerk teenager was atrocious.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that the relationship was "what little of a relationship there was"? Because she was ungrateful? Because she was annoyed with her parents? I guess I ask this because I was very much like that as a teenager and I did not have a bad relationship with my mom. We got along most of the time but had our rough patches. Also, we don't really know what they have gone through as a family. It's easy to say "Well *I* would have sat down and had a mature, heart to heart with *my* kid and just explained why those kinds of comments hurt my feelings. Who knows, maybe the parents did that--472749592847 times, and it was not working. Maybe they were at the end of their rope and decided that this might wake her up more effectively.

Also, I don't understand the idea of associating donating to charity with punishment. How does "you've been bad, now you have to give your stuff to poor people" teach the child the value of giving to those less fortunate? It automatically links something that us supposed to be a positive thing with all kinds if negative feelings.

I wonder if it is the act if shooting the laptop that bugs people. I wonder if hr threw it in a dumpster or dropped it in a pond if it would get that reaction.

Then again, I also believe that parents have to do something pretty freaking horrible to not deserve the respect of their kids, so perhaps I am just old fashioned--lol.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

Well, I dislike the destruction of the laptop and the method of destruction has no bearing on that. I like guns and shooting lol but waste bothers me.

To me donating it isn't so much to teach her that giving is good. It's a)completely regardless of teaching her a lesson, I just don't like waste; b) some grateful person could have really used it, their missed opportunity makes me a little sad c) it may not teach her to love charity but at least it wouldn't teach her to just blow away something valuable on a whim, because you can. But c'est la vie I guess, people wreck perfectly good stuff all the time ("Will It Blend"? *cries* lol)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:42 PM
such sights to show you

I do and don't understand the "well he could have given it to charity" sentiment. It's a nice thought, but it's hardly an obligation and I don't think it would teach any more of a lesson than destroying it. Either way, the girl doesn't have her laptop anymore.

I mean, he could have given the money to charity instead of buying a laptop at all. Or I could have given the money I spent on the movies last weekend to charity. Or people could quit smoking and give their cigarette money to charity. Nobody's pointing fingers around here saying "oh you could have given that collar money to charity", why care what one guy you don't even know does with his own property?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Jerk.

Good on him. Its not hypocritical if he paid for the laptop either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

It sounds, from the updates, that he finally got through to her. Of course, we really only have his side to go on.

It sounded to me like the laptop needed a new charger cable and a new battery, which means quite a bit of money before it's up and running, right? Are there charities that would be able to use it, even?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Obey the Toad.

I suppose I don't see the destruction of the laptop as that big of a deal, especially if it is an older model--those actually lose value very quickly. Either way, he paid for it so I guess it is his to shoot.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Let it be

I agree. The laptop was his to shoot. I doubt I would ever do this to my child but her face isn't plastered on the video. Does the general public even know who she is? If not I see it as no harm. Just her direct friend circle knows.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Frankly I think this guy is my soul mate. I laughed the whole time and found it very fair. I did laugh at the thought he made it into a video but whatever.

Wasteful? Maybe, those are nice bullets.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Frankly I think this guy is my soul mate. I laughed the whole time and found it very fair. I did laugh at the thought he made it into a video but whatever.

Wasteful? Maybe, those are nice bullets.
Best quote of this whole thread.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM
MIiA

This is called natural consequences. I'm a fan!

Was the fathers public response to being publicly flogged by his daughter fitting? Yes.
Was the laptop his to do as he pleased? Yes
Were 8 or 9 shots a little overkill? Perhaps, but he gets points for style.
Was his response mature or did it follow the high-road? Probably not, but then again, sometimes to make a point it has to be delivered in a fashion that is understood. I'd say there's a good chance he met that objective....and gave her something to legitmately whine about.

Just my opinion.