Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

the ones with the prick ears are the Norwich

LOVE that Norwich!! Cuteness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I would be interested in a drivey, fun, sturdy little dog with some terrier spunk but not too serious and DA. It would be a pet primarily that I could be active with, that could dabble in agility, rally, possibly freestyle.
Sounds like Jackson No, it defintiely sounds like a BT would suit your needs.

Jackson has definitely got some terrier spunk, but he doesn't necessarily have that full out... attitude (I guess, is the right word?) that a lot of terriers may have. Silky's could be potentially something to look into as well, but then you are dealing with more grooming so not sure if you'd be interested in that. I know BT's need to be hand stripped though, but I don't think as often as a Silky needs groomed. I will say since I keep Jackson short, he's super easy maintenance. I don't really even ever brush him, LOL. Not hat I officially know if he's a Silky or a Yorkie, but he fits almost every description I've read of them for the most part (no DA, though). I've been in touch with a few Silky breeders who feel he is, and I've really fallen in love with the breed.

Quote:
The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. He is not a dog you can leave alone, either inside or outside the house. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous, and especially loves to dig up your yard! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safely fenced area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He can bark too much--in fact he loves to bark!--and must be trained not to do this. He will be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner, although he may occasionally be obstinate, and doesn't always obey you. He can be difficult to housebreak. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it as a puppy. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.
http://www.silkyterrierclubofamerica...erformance.htm

Here's a BT description I found too:
Quote:
The Border Terrier is fearless, lively, affectionate, good-tempered and obedient. He's active without constantly demanding your attention. He can be laid back in the house, then wonderfully energetic outside. He's cheerful and friendly and loves to play. He's very sociable with strangers, and excellent with children as long as they are respectful to him. He doesn't mind being left alone, but he also needs plenty of hugs and cuddles from his family. He is a strong dog with a lot of energy and stamina. He loves vigorous, outdoor activities like hiking and biking. He should be kept firmly on his leash when outdoors, because he likes to chase small animals. He doesn't do well with small pets in the house, although he should be fine with a cat if he's raised with it, and he gets along well with friendly dogs. While generally not yappy, he is very alert and makes a good watchdog. He's sensitive to new sights and sounds: he will bark to let you know whenever something new is happening outside the house. If you have a yard, you might need a fence with a reinforced bottom, because he likes to dig holes! He can be independent and strong-willed, but he is also easy to train, adaptable to your needs, and eager to please. He is a very low shedder, and would make a good pet if you like your home on the neat-and-tidy side.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Just try me..

Don't go too much on breed descriptions though. They are far too vauge. I know plenty of DR BTs. Its like judging good GSDs by meeting all the show line ones. Most BTs are show lines.

If you go show line JRT you also get very little DA. Its part and parcel of working drive (though BTs are less edgy, but from what I hear they go for the kill, with the prey. Where as a JRT is supposed to be a bay dog a BT is supposed to also do the kill)
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

I would maybe suggest speaking to some show breeders about their dogs and some working breeders than maybe you will get a feel for both lines of dogs. Gives you a better idea of what you would be getting into.

They are super cute, I love their little square heads. And the scruff <3

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
For those who want the cute and size of terriers but want little in the way of 'bad' terrierness I would suggest Norfolk or Norwich terriers.
I do agility with a pair of norfolks. Yappy scrappy little dogs--but oh my gosh, so cute and bunny like when they run!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Don't go too much on breed descriptions though. They are far too vauge. I know plenty of DR BTs. Its like judging good GSDs by meeting all the show line ones. Most BTs are show lines.

If you go show line JRT you also get very little DA. Its part and parcel of working drive (though BTs are less edgy, but from what I hear they go for the kill, with the prey. Where as a JRT is supposed to be a bay dog a BT is supposed to also do the kill)
according to some Limey diggers i talk w/ all colored terriers are bred to be killers & all white terriers are bred to be bolters. obviuosly this is a generalization about breeds so there are plenty of JRTs that are killers.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I would maybe suggest speaking to some show breeders about their dogs and some working breeders than maybe you will get a feel for both lines of dogs. Gives you a better idea of what you would be getting into.

They are super cute, I love their little square heads. And the scruff <3
as far as i know, in the USA, there is only one genuine working border breeder. he uses them on coon mostly & also breeds pat/fells. he is in TN. his stock is not AKC registered.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

I haven't been back to this forum in ages!! But, I was lurking (due to boredom) and thought I would comment.

I own a 2 year old BT. Have been obsessed with the breed for years prior and reluctant to move forward due to not really wanting a super active, drivey terrier in the house. After much research and talking/meeting with breeders, we finally decided to take the plunge. Boy am I glad we did!!

Our BT is from a show breeder. Sire was a top, nationally ranked champion and the number 1 BT in the USA while being campaigned. She is also linebred. The reason I say this is to let you know that this breed ranges in temperament and activity level. Your best bet is to look at the temperament and activity level of the PARENTS rather than focusing on if the dog comes from show or working lines. My girl is from show lines. She can sleep the day away with the best of dogs, is super gentle with my children, kind and affectionate to the point of being a velcro dog and beyond easy to live with in the house. But, I will make it known that she has superb DRIVE and INSTINCT when on the chase. She is loud (only on the chase) and fast and has more endurance than any other dog I have ever seen. Don't be fooled to think show lines mean a "dumb" dog with no more instict left. This dog knows what she's doing the second she starts and is efficient in covering ground. In the house she collects dust. This makes her the ideal terrier in my book. She is not dog aggressive/reactive and has never met a lap she doesn't want to be on.

In my opinion, this is one of the best breeds there is and it's rather undiscovered which is also a huge plus IMO.