Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Enjoying the puppy life!

Default No interest in eating from the bowl?

Bruce really has little interest of eating from the bowl. He sees where it is- and will look at it when I put the food it.. but then he zooms zooms away.

I have been using this as bonding/charging the clicker time and have been giving him pellets after a click from my hand/ throwing them so he can pounce. He enjoys this game- but gets full quickly.

Is it because he is new and uncomfortable? What can I do to help make sure he IS eating. This morning he didn't even want to eat from my hand!!

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”~ Audrey Hepburn

Bruce the Brussels Griffon!! Born 6/19/11...HE IS NOW HOME!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi won't eat if there's too much more fun stuff going on.... If the back door is open and there's someone out there who could potentially throw something for her, food is of no interest. Even if she hasn't eaten since the morning previously.

He's probably just too excited about everything else!

I shut her in and take away her toys if she won't eat And stand next to her saying 'finish your dinner' lol
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

It took Menchi a couple of days to want to eat much. I would hand feed her out of her little bowl too. She eats fine now, but she has the benefit of some food competition having her big brother and old girl Maeve eating their foods as well

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Try crating him during feeding time, that way he can't just run away.

I don't know that I'd hand feed him.. that could create a "Well, she's going to feed me out of the bowl anyway, so why would I eat from it??" mentality. Crate, put food down, leave down for 15min. If he doesn't eat, oh well, shouldn't take him long to figure it out
Old 08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Love my pets

I would try a bowl made out of a different material. One of my dogs would never touch food in a metal bowl.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

You could try putting the food into a Kong, treat ball or hollow bone with a dab of peanut butter on the end.

Another idea is to put some canned tuna or salmon on top of the kibble in her food dish. Sometimes stinky food is better. Do you feed kibble or stinky canned food?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
*Now with Snark*

NVM - at 6 months he's old enough to learn that there is eating time and doing things time. Put him in his crate with a food dish at the back of the crate, walk away 30 minutes. Come back and let the puppy out, remove the food dish, try again in the PM.

He'll learn eventually to eat when the dish goes down.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Top Dog

Along with what the others are saying, make sure you are not overfeeding him. Tucker was the worst eater ever, I'd have to pick him up and plop him in front of the bowl 3 times to get him to eat any of his food. He'd often skip breakfast and never ate all of the food. Then we cut back on how much he got and he became a normal "OMG it's dinner time!!!" dog who scarfed down his food.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Rottweiler

It really depends, how long has your puppy been in your environment? It takes time for a puppy to become fully acclimated to new environments, and every dog has a different threshold. It can range from a a couple days to a couple months.
I can only speak on behalf of my dogs that have gone into new environments, and as German Rottweilers are a very smart breed, my customers tell me that within a matter of days they have become completely comfortable in their new homes.
For starters I would recommend, if you haven't already done so, to set a strict feeding regiment that is always consistent so that the puppy can slowly start to learn the new schedule. Hope that helps a little.