Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 949
Default Agility training

I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread similar to the Tricks and Training one, but focus on agility. There must be enough of us here training it, and I love watching other people's agility vids.

I started training running contacts today!

http://ablondeandadog.blogspot.com/2...cts-day-1.html
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
MafiaPrincess's Avatar
MafiaPrincess MafiaPrincess is offline
Obvious trollsare Obvious
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 6,124
Default

We have a forum for agility and sports.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32
__________________

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles


Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
MericoX's Avatar
MericoX MericoX is offline
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In depression
Posts: 5,216
Default

Nice!
I've started some nose touches and targeting with the younger dogs. Hopefully borrowing my friends weaves soon so I can have them in the house and start refreshing on those vs having to wait until spring.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Nice!
I've started some nose touches and targeting with the younger dogs. Hopefully borrowing my friends weaves soon so I can have them in the house and start refreshing on those vs having to wait until spring.
I can't wait to start weave training! I'll probably start with snow on the ground, don't know if I can wait till spring.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

I'm in a Foundations/Flatwork class with Keegan right now. We're focusing more on not barking at the other dogs, than actually training, LOL. Though he's getting a lot better. We're doing mostly running with our dogs, recalls, stays, targeting, etc. We should be graduating in a couple of weeks and get to start obsticles. I found a set of weave poles from work that were about to get thrown away (), so they're sitting on my back porch waiting.... I've been itching to start training them but at this point I'm going to wait and see how my trainer will teach them before I do them myself. I failed miserably with weaves with Luna so I'm going to take it slow this time around.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I'm in a Foundations/Flatwork class with Keegan right now. We're focusing more on not barking at the other dogs, than actually training, LOL. Though he's getting a lot better. We're doing mostly running with our dogs, recalls, stays, targeting, etc. We should be graduating in a couple of weeks and get to start obsticles.
That's cool. It's always good when places focus on foundations first rather than running over equipment all willy-nilly.

I've been training on my own so far, but I'm going to start a Foundations class in early March. I have to get Pan into an indoor environment with strange people/dogs, and it'll be good to just practice stuff she knows.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,780
Default

I just did some path finding responsibility/extension-compression work today, no vid though. Mostly just a line of jumps in the backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread similar to the Tricks and Training one, but focus on agility. There must be enough of us here training it, and I love watching other people's agility vids.

I started training running contacts today!

http://ablondeandadog.blogspot.com/2...cts-day-1.html
Has she been on contact equipment before?

One reason I think dogs like to jump off is because they aren't used to running hard on something narrow and with iffy grip (relative to the ground). I saw Daisy Peel using a long strip of carpet for the initial run-the-length-of-the-board training and even progressing into run-to-the-end which I thought was a great idea...it's wider and has great traction, it's different then the surrounding ground (she did it on a matting training floor but it would work on grass or whatever too) so it should transition well, and any stress associated with the initial learning frustration won't be associated with actual contact equipment. Just a thought.
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Panzerotti's Avatar
Panzerotti Panzerotti is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Has she been on contact equipment before?

One reason I think dogs like to jump off is because they aren't used to running hard on something narrow and with iffy grip (relative to the ground). I saw Daisy Peel using a long strip of carpet for the initial run-the-length-of-the-board training and even progressing into run-to-the-end which I thought was a great idea...it's wider and has great traction, it's different then the surrounding ground (she did it on a matting training floor but it would work on grass or whatever too) so it should transition well, and any stress associated with the initial learning frustration won't be associated with actual contact equipment. Just a thought.
Yeah, that would be the ideal way to start, I guess I could have staked down a strip of carpet into the snow.

This was her first time seeing a board. I'm thinking though that once she gets the concept a bit more she'll start running with more focus forward and not have to think about where she's putting her feet so much. She really improved just in today's session. It's going to get tough when I have to start rewarding for proper foot placement though, she's quick!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,780
Default

Yeah she'll probably be fine, just an idea is all.
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
adojrts's Avatar
adojrts adojrts is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Yeah, that would be the ideal way to start, I guess I could have staked down a strip of carpet into the snow.

This was her first time seeing a board. I'm thinking though that once she gets the concept a bit more she'll start running with more focus forward and not have to think about where she's putting her feet so much. She really improved just in today's session. It's going to get tough when I have to start rewarding for proper foot placement though, she's quick!
Just a suggestion, but we typically train a contact criteria first (regardless of which method chosen) before even doing plank work or the contact equipment (lowered). This is done to avoid bad habits forming that are hard to retrain and often result with inconsistant contacts. Of course I am assuming you want to compete if not, other than safety it doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site