Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Original Twin

I know in another post you mentioned you wanted to do therapy work with Crickee, bear in mind that some therapy groups will not allow a dog that has been trained in bitework to participate in therapy.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside View Post
I know in another post you mentioned you wanted to do therapy work with Crickee, bear in mind that some therapy groups will not allow a dog that has been trained in bitework to participate in therapy.
Ya right now I'm just getting ideas on what I want to do with her and figuring out where she would excel more. I'm not planning on her doing both. We are going to take a therapy dog class through my work which basically just introduces things your dog will run into doing therapy work. If she does well then that may be what i pursue with her... If she doesnt like it then sure I may look further into the idea of schutzhund, but I'm still unsure if I actually want to pursue that or not since from the sound of this thread the amount of time required to do Schutzhund might be too much for Cricket on top of doing agility which is my main goal with her.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Behavior Nerd

I do both agility and schutzhund with Kes and Aeri and training for both sports has slowed down each dogs' progress in both sports, but it can be done. The costs of paying for both is pretty significant too: $300 annually for schh club, $70 every two weeks for agility (private lessons give me more time with the instructor for my money), plus a total of between 120 and 340 miles on my car per week. And those costs and miles are fixed regardless of the number of dogs I have.

Not to mention trialling costs: easily $50-100 per dog per schh trial and at least $100 per dog per agility trial.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Let it be

Oh that's a great idea to go watch. I'm excited now. I know it won't be a short term goal but things are up in the air for my next dog two years down the line. I'd love to go get to know what my area has to offer and see if it's realistic fit or not.

Eep I'm stoked.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
but I'm still unsure if I actually want to pursue that or not since from the sound of this thread the amount of time required to do Schutzhund might be too much for Cricket on top of doing agility which is my main goal with her.
Yeah I think it would be extremely hard to do both given the time involved. BUT many agility trainers use fun tug work as a reward in agility training. A good decoy can help you learn how to tug effectively with your dog.

I would go spend some time visiting clubs and watching training. It will not only give you a better idea on if its for you or not, but also show you if that particular club's training methods are something you want to do with Cricket. I for one and very thankful that my finances meant I could never join the club here and got told to find my own way when I did have the finances to show up again... the trainer I work with one on one (basically puppy tug games for fun as far as agitation/bitework) is so much more experienced and positive than the people who do club. Just my experience though!

Delta won't take dogs that are fed raw or do bitework of any kind, however TDI will.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I would still like to get Sloan a TDI title.

I'm glad you're considering things responsibly! I would focus on one sport, once you have a grasp on it, then dapple til your hearts content.

I started out thinking I would do a bunch with Backup. This type of thinking (and doing) has put him on the slow bus as far as progression in schutzhund. He is catching up and he'll get there but some of his foundation is a bit askew and some of it is definitely because of the multi sport attempts. He is a one sport dog, nothing wrong with that. He is at home in sch and doesn't do well trained in too many sports. We gave up on flyball because of this and it's worth it. Sloan does well in multi sports but she's not common and even then some of the sports do negatively effect one another. It does help that I run her in agility while Denis works her in everything else (schutzhund and dock dogs and competitive obedience).
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.