Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Are you saving or investing for retirement?
Yes, and have been for a while. 19 51.35%
Yes, just started. 6 16.22%
No, but I'm about to start. 2 5.41%
No, I'd rather put my money towards other uses. 0 0%
No. I'm pretty young, so I'll worry about it later. 2 5.41%
No, but I wish I could. 5 13.51%
Nachos! 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It's not really a "do I do both" thing. You can contribute up to the federal limit (I think 50% of your salary or $15,500, whichever comes first) into a 401k of any kind. You can put that money in either a regular (tax-deferred) 401k, or a ROTH (post tax) 401k. It depends how much money you're expecting to be pulling in when you retire. My money is hedged on being in a higher tax bracket at retirement, so I'd rather pay the taxes now when I'm in a relatively low bracket. Hence, our money goes into ROTHs.
To clarify a bit, you can do both a 401k and a Roth (traditional or IRA). They have different limits.

I'm maxing out my allotments but all the retirement calculators tell me I need to be doing more (personal investing). Boo. Retirement is freaking expensive!
Old 02-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

No, but we will be starting once we move and Tyler starts his new job.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
To clarify a bit, you can do both a 401k and a Roth (traditional or IRA). They have different limits.

I'm maxing out my allotments but all the retirement calculators tell me I need to be doing more (personal investing). Boo. Retirement is freaking expensive!
You can have a 401k and/or and IRA (both can be either traditional or ROTH). Can you max out a ROTH 401k and a traditional (tax deferred) 401k? I thought the limit was $15 or $16k into 401k and another $5k into IRAs.

Then there are 403b's...which is what my work now has, and I need to look into.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Yep. We're maxing out. Which sucks sometimes, if you think about how much more money we could have.. But it's also good and an important thing to do. I also have a German account, kinda like a private CD that grows aggressively over time. My parents started it when I was little and I took over the payments with my first real job.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

It's not necessarily for "retirement", but I do have two different savings accounts. One is for long term things (retirement, house, etc) that I absolutely never take money out of. The other is for short term things and emergencies (down payment on my car, vet emergencies, etc) I don't, however, have a 401k or anything, but I'll look into it once I have an official full-time job (right now, I work pretty much full time hours, but I'm not full-time status).

I'm really good at savings and budgeting, and I feel that I'm doing the absolute best I can with what I make.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:36 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I prepare nachos.

I'm 22, and I know that's a poor excuse, but I'm also unemployed and working on immigration to another country. I finally got my boyfriend to open a savings account in his bank, that was a start. When I am able to work, I intend to start putting away as much as I possibly can.

My Polyvore
Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Top Dog

The maximum yearly contribution for a 401k is $17,000, or $22,500 if you're 50 or older.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I pay into a pension.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Top Dog

I've had a 401K through work since I started (3 years ago). I put in 12% and the company puts in 4%. I really don't pay as much attention to it as I should but I'm super intimidated by all things investing. >.< Matt has nothing going right now and it worries me.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013