Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Easily Transportable & Secure Crate?

Does such a thing exist?

I bring Keeva to my parents' house pretty often, and since we'll sometimes go out together and do whatever, I really need a crate with me.

Right now, I keep a plastic shipping crate in my car (actually, it's the one that Traveler was shipped in from Australia - LOL) but Keeva has really outgrown it, and I don't like having to leave her in it for very long.

I have a nice Noz2Noz pop-up crate for Macky for trialing, but Keeva is not nearly trained enough to use that - she has already proven she can unzip it, so it's out of the question.

I do have a wire Midwest 36", but that's a permanent fixture in my living room and a huuuuge PITA to haul around (I did it for a summer for trials... NOT fun).

So... is there something that's fairly easy to transport (reasonable weight for a weak 20 something woman), folds down, and is sturdy? Any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
...I have a nice Noz2Noz pop-up crate for Macky for trialing, but Keeva is not nearly trained enough to use that - she has already proven she can unzip it, so it's out of the question...
Hmm, my Noz2Noz has a snap near one top corner of each door to secure the zipper pulls. If all she does is unzip it, maybe use a snap to hold the two zipper pulls together? Then, even if she manages to move them, they'll stay together and the door won't open.

The only other suggestion I have is another wire crate. Or maybe a bigger plastic crate to keep at you parents? A few years ago there was a line of plastic crates out that folded. I think Nylabone made them. You might be able to find one used someplace.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

There's a line of crates called iCrate that folds up and down fairly easily ...
Old 02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
There's a line of crates called iCrate that folds up and down fairly easily ...
I was thinking about those... we have them at work. Maybe I'll have to fold one up and down and see what I think. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom
Hmm, my Noz2Noz has a snap near one top corner of each door to secure the zipper pulls. If all she does is unzip it, maybe use a snap to hold the two zipper pulls together? Then, even if she manages to move them, they'll stay together and the door won't open.
I'm worried she'll just tear it then. I'm pretty sure the only reason she DIDN'T tear it is BECAUSE it unzipped.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

Gusto's travel crate is an iCrate. I'd rather get him a Noz2Noz like Meg's, but I am fairly certain that would last about 3 minutes with him! I don't find the iCrate hard to set up or carry particularly, and I'm no superwoman. I've never noticed much difference in the various types of wire crates when it comes to weight or set-up though.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Gusto's travel crate is an iCrate. I'd rather get him a Noz2Noz like Meg's, but I am fairly certain that would last about 3 minutes with him! I don't find the iCrate hard to set up or carry particularly, and I'm no superwoman. I've never noticed much difference in the various types of wire crates when it comes to weight or set-up though.
I mean, it would probably help me out that at least the iCrate has a handle. My LifeStages one does not.

What size is Gusto in? Keeva has tons of room in a 36" but not enough room in anything else because Corgis are a stupid shape, LOL.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
What size is Gusto in? Keeva has tons of room in a 36" but not enough room in anything else because Corgis are a stupid shape, LOL.
That's pretty crazy, Webby is fine in a 30" for trials and I'm rather fussy about making sure they have enough room. I guess I underestimate how long Corgis are!

There are these: (image via petco) if you want something that's not all wire...supposedly they are quieter in the car, and they have wheels on the back so if you don't feel like tearing them down (they fold down) you can just wheel it along. But they are rather pricey and no lighter than a wire crate.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I mean, it would probably help me out that at least the iCrate has a handle. My LifeStages one does not...
Check the MidWest site. They might have replacement handles. That would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a new crate.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I mean, it would probably help me out that at least the iCrate has a handle. My LifeStages one does not.

They do have handles; I never put the handle on mine though! It is narrow enough folded that I can just put my hand around it and carry it that way. Gusto is in the 30" iCrate. Plenty of room for him. Keeva must be a lot bigger than I picture her!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 PM
overdogged

I like my wire iCrates as well. That's what Luce stays in for trials. No way I'd trust her in a soft-sided crate.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?