Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Top Dog

Default Food Suggestions?

So my boyfriend's dog gets fat really, really easily, and is currently in doggie boot camp, and has to earn all of his meals through clicker training. This is, as far as he's concerned, a win, since he'd basically sell out his mother for a piece of kibble.

The problem is that he and Elsie are on the same kibble, and it's fairly high calorie (460kcal/cup) and has really large kibble pieces (like, marble sized). Since he only eats about 3/4 cups of kibble a day, this makes training a pretty short thing.

Does any one have any suggestions of high quality, lower calorie food options with smaller kibble sizes?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

TOTW is a fairly small kibble, and has fewer calories (in the 350ish kcal/cup range if I remember right).

Nature's Variety Instinct is TINY kibble, but is also high in calories. But at least it's more kibble pieces per cup.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Slave to the Aussie

Acana has small pieces not sure on the calories though.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I'll second NV being TINY TINY kibble!

Frodo lost weight on the NV because even though there are quite a few calories per cup, it's very meat heavy and carb light. That might be something to look into more than actual calorie count.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

I might try TOTW. I know he was on it before, and did well, and I know it's available in the area.

If I can find NV, that might be better, if it's tiny. Zobby doesn't need to lose weight right this moment, but he balloons like no dog I've ever met.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'll second NV being TINY TINY kibble!

Frodo lost weight on the NV because even though there are quite a few calories per cup, it's very meat heavy and carb light. That might be something to look into more than actual calorie count.
Ditto. Orijen, Acana, and Nature's Logic are also extremely high in meat and low in carbs.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

I just opened my first bag of Victor dog food last night and the kibble is very small - not quite as small as NV, but still about the quarter of the size of TOTW. It just not started being available here, so it might not be where you're at yet. But it's cheaper than TOTW and higher quality than TOTW. IF you can find it.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I just opened my first bag of Victor dog food last night and the kibble is very small - not quite as small as NV, but still about the quarter of the size of TOTW. It just not started being available here, so it might not be where you're at yet. But it's cheaper than TOTW and higher quality than TOTW. IF you can find it.
I checked on their website, and there aren't any retailers within 200 miles, unfortunately. That's a bummer.

I'll look into the others suggested--thanks!
Old 02-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

The search tells me the closest dealer to me is 22 miles, but in reality it's 5 or 6 miles. That being said, I do have to special order it, and I only know that's an option because my brother works at the feed store I get it from. So you might try calling some feed stores and checking if you can order it. BUT there are a TON of dealers within 200 miles of me, so it might not have reached your area yet. I think it originated in Texas?

Some of the Diamond Naturals are tiny kibble, but I can't remember which formulas. And they're not even close to TOTW quality-wise.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Top Dog

I'm in SoCal, so it might not be here. I'll probably try calling around some tomorrow.

If they don't have it, I'm leaning towards TOTW, since I know he did well on it, and the kibbles aren't ginormous.