Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Yes, I thought that back-up should have been called, although the guy might have gotten away in the meantime. It does need to have consequences...a fine or something. But could that not have been accomplished without tasing him? They send tickets in the mail for traffic violations. I bet it could have been learned where he lived by staking out where his car was or following him.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Yes, I thought that back-up should have been called, although the guy might have gotten away in the meantime. It does need to have consequences...a fine or something. But could that not have been accomplished without tasing him? They send tickets in the mail for traffic violations. I bet it could have been learned where he lived by staking out where his car was or following him.
Following him to his car might have been a good choice. With his license plate she could have called the regular police to pull him over and avoided confrontation.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

If true, this is totally uncool:

http://www.ohmidog.com/2012/02/03/ta...art-condition/

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Obey the Toad.

IDK, I can think of a few repeat "off leash in a posted on leash area" offenders who I wouldn't mind being tazed....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Tasered dog walker — before he was zapped — told park ranger he had a heart condition

A new twist in the case of the Tasered dog walker: After a park ranger informed him she would use her Taser if he walked away, Gary Hesterberg informed her he had a heart condition.

She, seconds later, as he turned her back to her, fired anyway, according to a witness quoted in a Patch.com report.

Given the offense Hesterberg was being detained for was an unleashed dog, given the park ranger’s mission that day was supposedly “educating” dog owners about the new policy, we feel her use of a stun gun falls clearly into the category of over-reacting.

Her use of force was not just unnecessary, it was potentially deadly, and even though Hesterberg originally supplied her with a phony name, even if he may have been argumentative, even if he was aware that the park service had started requiring leashes in Rancho Corral de Tierra two months earlier, the bottom line is 50,000 volts of electricity for one unleashed dog doesn’t add up to anything but brutality.

Howard Levitt, spokesman for the park service, said Hesterberg repeatedly tried to flee the scene, and that the encounter between the dog walker and the park ranger ”moved into a different realm” when Hesterberg gave her a fake name.

“He didn’t have ID and gave a name that turned out to not be his actual name … In checking that out — it’s standard procedure to run somebody’s name when you’re dealing with someone who might be a danger — she asked him to remain on the scene, as we understand it, and more than once he refused to stay there,” Levitt said

If Hesterberg had been placing strange packages under the Golden Gate Bridge, that would be one thing. But he was walking his dogs. There is no reason — other than over zealous law enforcement, which isn’t a good reason at all — that should escalate into a potentially deadly encounter.

Given a choice of worst case scenarios, I think allowing Hesterberg to go home, and catching him, if it’s really all that important, the next day would be preferable to potentially executing a man for an unleashed dog — if not for reasons of logic, then at least for the park service’s public image.
Turned his back to her. And she attacked him? He wasn't even threatening her! He was going to go away. He was probably going to leave the park. Isn't that the whole point? To not walk an unleashed dog in the park? So, he's going to go home and his off leash dog would no longer be in the park? Isn't that the point....to not have off leash dogs in the park? There are laws in Seattle and many places where it's not allowed to have off leash dogs or even dogs on certain beaches. There are signs but people let their dogs run on the beach where my daughter lives. It's a huge beach and there often aren't too many people around anyhow. But if a cop sees them, (I've seen it) they tell them they need to get off the beach with their dog. There is a fine, but usually I think they get a warning. They don't seem to make that big a deal out of it. And this is Seattle cops I'm talking about....BAD reputation for over-zealousness. So, this park ranger was clearly on a power trip IMO. You can say law is the law. But there's also a thing called the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. Couldn't she have told him and if he still didn't leave the park or leash up his dog, then find out where he lives and send someone else to talk to him or give him a fine? This potentially dangerous thing...this taser should ONLY be used if the authority or public is in danger and there's nothing else that can be done. This was not a dangerous crime and it's just awful imo. What if he had died? The headlines would then say, Park ranger kills man for walking dog unleashed.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

For me the ONE thing this guy could have done to change my mind on this situation was just give his correct information.

It wasn't long ago some crazy guy ran to a park and killed a ranger. People are crazy and unpredictable. Giving her the wrong information kept her from being able to see if he had a record, was known to be violent, or had a warrant. He didn't just refuse information he gave incorrect information and then after being told to not leave he tried to leave.

So I still stand by the fact that this guy was a douche and totally in the wrong. And the comments on these stories belittling the woman and the general attitude of 'I'm better than her she isn't even a real cop' doesn't help my feelings about this guy. If he gave the correct info then I wouldn't have a problem but he gave false info.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

The fact he claimed to have a heart condition settles it.

He might have been lying; he had already lied and knew she had a taser . . . but any possible excuse for hitting him with that taser vanished the minute he said that he had a heart condition . . . because if true the odds of him dying just skyrocketed, going from a remote possibility to something far more likely. And as the article I posted pointed out . . . excuting someone for having an off leash dog and then disobeying a cop is way out of proportion.

That said, I fully agree the guy was a jackass.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

He WAS wrong. There's no question about that. He was a jerk. There's no question about that. The thing is, that kind of wrong, that kind of "crime" doesn't warrant the use of a stun gun or any kind of weapon. They're dangerous, especially if one has a heart condition. And people often don't know they have a heart condition. Heart disease is often asymptomatic. Tasers can kill. They disrupt heart rhythms. This crime was non-violent and did not warrant this excessive use of force, whether or not the guy told the ranger he had a heart condition.

I'm very conservative. I believe in the death penalty for murderers. I think rapists and child molesters should be eliminated from society permanently. I am not one who leans toward leniency in violent criminals or criminals who ruin peoples' lives. I have no mercy for those types. This unleashed dog walker who was a jerk and was dishonest and uncooperative should have some kind of consequence to pay. It by no means though, was a horrible crime against society and he should not have had that kind of punishment or detainment. This was a case of a park ranger who was just too full of herself. She didn't have to do that to keep society safe.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 02-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Top Dog

But like I said earlier the second he gave bad info he gave up the right to have some handle him nonviolently. She couldn't find legit info on it. She didn't know if he had warrant or a history of violence.

And if he really did have a heart condition he shouldn't have 1. Dared her to tase him and 2. walked away after being told by an office to stay there.

If this guy was just a jerk and ignored her I'd say no using a taser was out of line. But on a guy who is obviously being a jerk, ignoring an officer *I don't care if she was JUST at park ranger*, hiding his identity, giving false information then yes when he tried to leave after being told to stay I think he took being tased into his own hands. If anything had happened, which it didn't other than some jerk got tased, I feel it is his own fault for ignoring a simple command that my dog understands.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I dont think lying warrants the usage of a taser either. I dont see why she couldnt just follow. Sure, he couldve become violent I guess...then guess what, you can taz him.