Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2005, 03:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default dog parks in your community

I realize I live in a fairly large city. We have several, one downtown that is only 5 acres, but does allow for a place to socialize young dogs...a larger one on the north side, but it has no water, and the creme de la creme in Shawnee. I don't know if it is possible, but especially in smaller towns it could be made as a suggestion to the city council to set aside a piece of land just for this purpose. Dogs are becoming more and more "citizens" because their owners are taking them out of the back yard and making them a member of the family. I thought I would start this post to see who had good parks, what they thought made them good, and could be used as a sample to show the city govt how it becomes a valuable useful place for the community.
I go to lots of parks, and see lots of empty parking lots. AT Shawnee..even in the rain someone is there. Kelly took her dogs there this morning and I hats off to her cause we looked out the window said ugh and went back to bed!
The park is full of lots of people with lots of dogs! 50 some odd acres has been set aside, it has trails, lots of them, and a sizable beach to the lake where the dogs just have the time of their life, people meet there, make friends, drink their coffee together, look forward to coming back!
The park in the city advertises clean up day becuase it is only 5 acres, and I suppose the people do show up or else that place just wouldn't work, but even five acres is better then nothing for a young dog in the city to get to enjoy a good run off the leash in a real dog stride. Dogs are less likely to be vicious when they are socialized early with both other animals and people so it is a win win situation no matter how you look at it. If you are trying to get a place estabished good luck!