Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I'm not going to jump through hoops to get a pet. I treat my dog well. He lives a great life. I will answer questions within reason and that's it.
This! I really wish that this was the approach more people would take (breeders and rescues alike). I understand there are bad apples to be weeded out, but it would be nice if they started the process with the thought that hey, maybe some decent people want a nice pet. I'm sure sometimes that's the case but others it's certainly not.

A friend of mine applied for a gorgeous Newfie/BC mix. She lives in an apartment and doesn't have a "yard" per say but she's a grad student and there's TONS of gated land around her to run/walk a dog (and the campus has no policy against that). She could bring the dog to some of her TA work, too. She was turned because of not having a fenced yard. I'm sorry, I do think that's silly. It's their loss, in the end. She went and found a lovely young dog on Craig's List who is her best friend now.

I adopted a cat in November and had to lie about Keeva's uterus to get him. A neutered male cat. I went to Chicago AC, which is by no means swimming in dough, and still had to lie about my intact bitch. Come ON.

That said, it was a pretty good experience on the whole. The volunteer we met had written up his little personality blurb ("Very calm and loves to be pet" indeed) was super friendly and really wanted him to go home with us. In fact, we forgot to bring a copy of our lease. When they called our landlord, we explained that he's a teacher and wouldn't be able to call them back until school got out. Our adoption agent (who was actually an AC officer who got roped into helping us, LOL) disappeared, came back out, and said, "Oh he called, he said no problem!"

We found out later they'd never talked to him. LOL Classic example of "busy shelter worker goes with gut instinct". And now he has a beautiful home. I'm glad we went with AC, and and our cat is the BEST EVER.

I'm generally not looking for rescue dogs anyway, but if I ever am, I don't imagine I'll ever be looking at private rescues, really. I just can't stomach the home check business and the third degree. Knowing that allows me to steer clear of them in the first place, but I do feel bad for those who fall in love with a particular dog and are denied, like my friend.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Being an animal rescuer can be a potent source of identity, combining salvation and self-sacrifice. But in recent years the ASPCA has seen that, for some people, this identity crosses over into pathology. Dr. Randall Lockwood, a senior vice president of the ASPCA, says that around 25 percent of the 6,000 animal hoarding cases reported in the United States each year involve purported rescuers, up from less than five percent 20 years ago.
I think this is the bottom line. They're a bunch of animal hoarder nuts who don't want to part with their animals. They justify their pathology with calling themselves rescue organizations. 25 %! It's probably a lot more than that...but many may not be reported or discovered that they're NOT rescuing, but instead, hoarding.

They're ridiculous with some of those "reasons." I'd never go along with repeated home checks and rules about re-homing, keeping up on vaccinations, where I decide to re-locate, or any ongoing intrusion into my life. Other animals in the house, kids...I'd have none of it. They're not out for the animals. They're feeding their own hoarding illness.

My niece adopted a dog about 11 years ago from the county animal shelter. She had none of that. She was a nice, responsible gal, they could see. She did not have a fence and she worked. That was when she and I both lived at Priest Lake Idaho where the dogs got to run off leash on our daily hikes on trails in the woods and go swimming in the lake. She has given him a nice life. I'm sure there were a few key questions and that was that.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige
I'm not going to jump through hoops to get a pet. I treat my dog well. He lives a great life. I will answer questions within reason and that's it.
Yep, that about explains my stance on it too. I didn't have anywhere close to the interrogation when I got my purebred dogs from reputable breeders...nothing like any of that! If I want to save a dog, I'll find one off the street whose owners can't be found. Or I'll try a county shelter. Forget rescues if there are that many that are animal hoarders in disguise. Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know. They're not ALL like that. If a shelter is that picky, I'll find a woops litter. I can totally understand why people go to byb and pet stores. Totally. It's not a problem to get a dog and it's probably cheaper. And people have the nerve to criticize good breeders and people who purchase dogs from them? Unreal.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
This! I really wish that this was the approach more people would take (breeders and rescues alike). I understand there are bad apples to be weeded out,
Having worked with rescues I don't think these sorts of rules when they are held hard and fast are weeding out the bad apples.

One of the worst homes I have ever had the misfortune for a foster dog to go to sounded perfect on paper. Some of the best homes have not. I think forms should have a part where you can explain.

Ie if the form says 'do you have a fenced back yard?' if no please explain how you intend to make sure your dog gets enough exercise. Then people could go on to explain that they are avid hikers, or into agility or even go for a 2 mile walk most evenings...

It doesn't take that much more time for the rescue, a lot less time than finding extra foster homes when they get over full...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Having worked with rescues I don't think these sorts of rules when they are held hard and fast are weeding out the bad apples.

One of the worst homes I have ever had the misfortune for a foster dog to go to sounded perfect on paper. Some of the best homes have not. I think forms should have a part where you can explain.

Ie if the form says 'do you have a fenced back yard?' if no please explain how you intend to make sure your dog gets enough exercise. Then people could go on to explain that they are avid hikers, or into agility or even go for a 2 mile walk most evenings...

It doesn't take that much more time for the rescue, a lot less time than finding extra foster homes when they get over full...
Oh, I absolutely agree.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I do understand to a certain degree how rescues/fosters can be more picky on where their dogs go. If I had a dog living in my home and got to know him/her, sure I would ask questions of the prospective adoptee, you bet. I would feel responsible for that dog. But a home doesn't have to be "perfect" to be a good home. Doesn't even have to be better than my home. But yeah I would want to know that the adopter has a realistic idea of dog ownership, has a vet or one picked, and that they aren't a mismatch for the dog in question.

It's when, as another poster said, the adopting agency/individual becomes rigid or perfectionistic that the problems occur. I'm not buying a new pair of shoes...it's not cash & go. But at the same time I'm not dealing in nuclear arm...and after a point red tape, excessive requirements, and inspectors are just over the top.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I do understand to a certain degree how rescues/fosters can be more picky on where their dogs go. If I had a dog living in my home and got to know him/her, sure I would ask questions of the prospective adoptee, you bet. I would feel responsible for that dog. But a home doesn't have to be "perfect" to be a good home. Doesn't even have to be better than my home. But yeah I would want to know that the adopter has a realistic idea of dog ownership, has a vet or one picked, and that they aren't a mismatch for the dog in question.

It's when, as another poster said, the adopting agency/individual becomes rigid or perfectionistic that the problems occur. I'm not buying a new pair of shoes...it's not cash & go. But at the same time I'm not dealing in nuclear arm...and after a point red tape, excessive requirements, and inspectors are just over the top.

Exactly. Well put.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I tried to adopt a beautiful little white "pit bull" who was deaf. I figured my years with the breed(s) plus the fact that I've previously owned and trained 4 other deaf "pit bulls", well, that all would be well.

NOT

I was denied because I had/have children. I was denied because I owned 2 intact dogs. I was denied because I didn't fawn all over "pittie" and "pibbles" nor buy into their description that this dog had been a bait dog because she was deaf (I don't buy into the "bait dog" mania, but the kicker was that this dog had nary a scar or even a single hair out of place).

I wanted to give this dog a forever home to be loved and cuddled and with which to do some more PR work.

Instead the rescue euthanized the dog because "no one was interested in her". I was sooooo angry reading their pathetic sob story on how there was no home for her.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
On second thought...

I'm pretty sure Cameron and Duncan both have contracts stating that the shelter can seize them for any reason.

My family was also denied for 3 dogs that we applied for, and so my mom went to the shelter when she heard they had puppies, and she waited all day for the puppies to be health screened and available. Somebody came out to tell her they would be available in half an hour, so she came and picked up my brother and I from school and brought us up. When we got there, we were told there were only 3 puppies and they had already received applications via fax. My mom lost it and said we would just go to a breeder.

We left with Cameron that day. Oh Cameron. We almost got your brother, but he was too chill, and you were the life of the party. Knocking your brother and sister over, chewing on our shoes, running around us while he slept.

I can't believe I almost didn't get Cameron,

We were turned down for one dog, a Golden Retriever, because he had mange when we put in the application for him. We filled out the app, and then we waited, and waited. My mom called, and they said he was still being treated. She waited a day and then called again, and they told us that he had been adopted out to somebody else because it was against policy to accept applications on sick dogs. My mom would have re-applied had she been told such, and she should have been informed. She called about this dog at least 3 times.

Years ago, they used to have this policy that they waited until they got in at least 3 applications before adopting the dog out. I suppose it was so that they could pick the best out of 3, but in the end an unwanted dog could have been waiting for months and a family could have moved on, and 2 people would have still been crushed.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

Um...I find home checks and applications and interviews for adopting fun.

But I'm a bit strange