Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Squishy face

Default "Want to Adopt? Prepare for an Inquisition."

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/h...uisition_.html

The article is slightly bitter, but I think it is fair. Even people at the rescue I volunteer for are more and more getting God complexes and denying people for stupid reasons.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

It really is a tough situation.

We were denied a cat once because we had an intact dog. I guess they didn't want to see babies

But there are lots of really good owners and lots of really bad ones. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation overall.

I do think some of the requirements that some places hold are a bit ridiculous and turn away good homes, but i can understand some of the requirements which i'm sure most can. But there is no doubt that some go way too far. at least in a lot of people's opinions.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I agree. I've fostered quite a few various animals independently...and while there are some things I really look out for (and you can typically tell when even email-conversing with a person whether or not they truly have the pet's best interest at heart), I've come to the conclusion that a good home - not a perfect home, a good home - is better than none at all. I think the biggest thing is to compromise.

When I adopted out my Guinea Pigs, I didn't want to them go to a home where they would be a "child's pet". I didn't want some parent to purchase them for the kid, expect the kid to have the entire responsibility of caring for them, and then get upset and either a.) get rid of them or b.) let them waste away in their own feces because the kid isn't keep the cage cleaned. I rescued Lucy from a situation like that, I didn't want my piggers to end up in the same mess. But, they did go to a home where they were children's pets. Two darling little girls wanted a pet of their own, and the mom LOVED Guinea pigs, so she wanted to adopt two of them for her girls. I have no doubt in my mind that those piggies went to the best home possible.

Just like I wouldn't not adopt a dog to someone because they don't have a fenced in yard. Heck, I don't have a fenced in yard and we've had dogs for the past 15 years. What's more important is how the potential adopter plans on exercising his dog.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Chihuahua Power!

My parents adopted a toy poodle from a breed specific rescue with tough adoption requirements. They didn't have any issues since my dad is retired and home all week, they have a fenced in yard, no other pets, the same vet for 10 years as a reference, etc, etc.

Rescues are great IF you fit all of their guidelines. Having 5 dogs (and one intact!), I'd be turned down from most of them.

In some ways, I can definitely understand the strict requirements- they want to make sure that the pets they adopt out are in their forever homes and not returned to the system.

I was browsing on Craigslist yesterday, and there was someone rehoming a dachshund mix because he liked to run and they didn't have a fenced in yard So I can definitely understand a rescue wanting to make sure that the pet never has that happen to them.

Some rules are just insane, though. I think they should check out homes on a case by case basis rather than turning people away based on a blanket set of rules.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Top Dog

I've faced the brunt of adoption standards being too high. We were denied a dog not long ago because we had "outdoor cats" - IE, there are stray cats around our house that we TNR'd so that means they belong to us...

But on the other hand I can understand where they are coming from. If you've ever fostered a dog you can understand being paranoid about making sure they go to a good home and being positive that the owners are really as good as they say. It's a hard line of work.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Slave to the Aussie

I've adopted a lot of dogs and never once gone through any kind of tough adoption process.

I think its the same as breeders (who i have gone through a hell of a purchase process with) there are some that are great and some that are not.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Lord Cynical

I was actually planning on writing about this article on my blog. I think if most people saw the scary, scary applications that come in every day... there would be less people up in arms about how picky rescues can be.

And remember, many rescues will make exceptions... but not if you're a jackarse about it.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I was actually planning on writing about this article on my blog. I think if most people saw the scary, scary applications that come in every day... there would be less people up in arms about how picky rescues can be.

And remember, many rescues will make exceptions... but not if you're a jackarse about it.
This, and I have some of the strangest clients with rescue dogs, somehow they're getting through the system so it can't be that hard across the board.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Resident fainting goat

I hate the "cookie cutter perfect owner" places who don't make exceptions and prefer to deny/shame instead of talk to people.

If you are adopting out an elderly maltese, they don't need an 8 foot fence!!

but I certainly see where the paranoia comes from and where the kind of "people are EVIL ANIMAL ABUSERS until proven good owners" idea stems.

I just don't agree with it.

I feel like if you are going to spend all this time preaching "DONT BUY WHEN SHELTER DOGS DIE!" and "ADOPT! ADOPT! ADOPT! RESCUE A DOG!" then you should at least be willing to be open minded and adopt out to average joe who would be a GOOD home even though he has a short fence, or has kids, or lives in an apartment..

not just the perfect stay at home older than 25 perfect house perfect fence 1000 references dog enthusiast owner
Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Eh, perfectly good homes regularly return and dump dogs, hence the paranoia.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.