Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
Bone marrow is delicious. But very, very fattening. Its sort of like foie gras . . .without the cruelty.
I have not tried it yet, did you make it? or did you have it somewhere? Basically the recipe I have for it, is cut the bones to about 4 inches, salt and pepper over top of marrow cavity and bake in oven till it starts to bubble then eat with something, I forget what

I'm not concerned with fat, as long as it's not from corn fed beef I'm fine with it. The more I research, the more i'm leaning towards no grains, moderate protein and high fat diets. I just have to deprogram myself from the many decades of public policy "education" approach to nutrition pushed in this country.

on a side note about grains, when they started seeing the cultivation and consumption of them as part of the regular diet, that's when fossil evidence of things like tooth decay and inflammatory joint conditions like arthritis started to show up. I think i may have mentioned that in a thread before, but if not, I am now just something to think about.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I had no idea it's meant to help you lose weight. Hmmm, my boyfriend might be more interested in this than me for that. I'm 5'6" and 120 at my heaviest ( I know that is underweight for some charts, but my doctor always said I'm just fine and that I should covet this while my metabolism is still fast, LOL) so weight loss isn't my first concern.

I do want to be able to FEEL good though. I see so many people trying new diets and saying how much better they feel, or how much energy they have. That's what I'm really after. Especially lately feeling so blah, physically and mentally.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Just try me..

Its not meant for you to lose weight. Any more than feeding a dog raw is. Often feeding raw WILL help a dog look their best, but thats not the main goal.

I hope to move to a more paleo diet AFTER I have lost weight.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Got it.

One more thing: what grains are the best/easiest to stay away from? I have to go grocery shopping tonight, so I figure it's as good a time as any, while my cupboards need full re-stocking, to understand what I should try to avoid regardless of if I'm strict on this sort of diet.

I was never taught much about food. :\
My mother is Paula Deen, sans the diabetes.

My Polyvore
Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I have not tried it yet, did you make it? or did you have it somewhere? Basically the recipe I have for it, is cut the bones to about 4 inches, salt and pepper over top of marrow cavity and bake in oven till it starts to bubble then eat with something, I forget what
Its sort of an "in" thing here. I've had it as an appetizer (like pate) and on top of a gourmet burger . . . and I learned to suck it out of the bones of chops and roasts as a kid. I've never tried making it as a separate dish, mostly because I don't have a practical way to split large bones.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravennr View Post
Got it.

One more thing: what grains are the best/easiest to stay away from? I have to go grocery shopping tonight, so I figure it's as good a time as any, while my cupboards need full re-stocking, to understand what I should try to avoid regardless of if I'm strict on this sort of diet.

I was never taught much about food. :\
My mother is Paula Deen, sans the diabetes.
Well, I'd stay away from processed grains myself, and stick to the most whole grains you can get. So all the white grains are out . . . that's what we've done . . . and discovered it tastes better if nothing else.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Got it.

One of the tenets of paleo is no grains. Pretty much all the grains we as a society eat are foreign.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
What exactly does it mean to eat raw when you're a human? Is it uncooked, or unprocessed, or both?
Basically nothing you eat is brought to a temperature greater than 115 F (46 C). There's some debate about the actual temperature at which the enzymes you cook die at, but all my raw friends tend to stay below 115. You can blend it, soak it, dehydrate it, etc, so long as you pay attention to temperature.

All the Raw foodists I know are also vegan, but you can also buy unpasteurized raw milk, etc.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
Basically nothing you eat is brought to a temperature greater than 115 F (46 C). There's some debate about the actual temperature at which the enzymes you cook die at, but all my raw friends tend to stay below 115. You can blend it, soak it, dehydrate it, etc, so long as you pay attention to temperature.

All the Raw foodists I know are also vegan, but you can also buy unpasteurized raw milk, etc.
Note that a lot of research says that a raw diet is not natural to human beings, and in fact fire and cooking predate modern humans. Just something to take into account if you want to try it . . . you are not a chimpanzee.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Just try me..

Ya I don't think raw is terribly natural to humans. There are loads of examples of very early man cooking. THAT we have evolved to. (Not saying raw things aren't good, just that our digestive systems are adapted to cooked foods)