Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Felurian

Thumbs up Must Read editorial on Pitbulls!

By someone who was an outsider to the breed until recently and has done some serious homework.

http://bdickey.tumblr.com/post/13979...lls-and-canine

Quote:
With all those breeds mixed in, saying that “pit bulls kill more people every year than any other breed of dog” is a little bit like saying “unicorns kill more people every year than any other kind of horse.”

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Resident fainting goat

Unicorns are very misunderstood creatures.. lol but in all seriousness, great article!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Even Boston Terriers and French Bulldogs have been called ***8220;pit bulls.***8221;
The truth of the statement makes it all the more depressing.
I swear, any semi-stocky short-haired dog is a pitbull, especially if it bites, growls, or barks.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Chihuahuas have been mistaken for "pit bulls" as well. lol.

Quote:
IRVINE, Calif. (Reuters) - They thought they had stolen vicious pit bulls but instead they wound up with purse-sized Chihuahuas known for their timidity.

Mehrad Sepanjasa, 19, Ariyo MacKay, 18, and Kamyar Katouzian, 24, were arrested on Wednesday for allegedly stealing the puppies from an animal shelter in this Southern California city a couple of days earlier.

The men were caught after bringing the dogs, which had ID microchips implanted under their skin, to an animal clinic in a PetSmart pet supply store for an examination and vaccinations.

Lisa Morgenthaler, the store's director, said she recognized the puppies and the suspects from their descriptions on a flyer she received from the animal shelter.

The store manager said she sensed that the pups were victims of a severe case of mistaken identity. "They asked me, 'What is this?'" Morgenthaler said. "I told them it looked like a Chihuahua mix. They said, 'No way, it's a pit bull.' They didn't believe me. They wanted to ask the veterinarian."

When the men brought the puppies back to the clinic for an exam and shots two days later, Morgenthaler was prepared.

"We said we were going to take them into the back to cut their nails and take their temperatures, and we called the police," she said. "It was pretty scary."

During the examination, the men repeatedly asked the veterinary staff what breed the puppies were, and again insisted that they were not of the diminutive Mexican breed.

"They were pretty perturbed that the puppies they stole were not pit bulls," Morgenthaler said. "They thought they were stealing pit bulls. These guys are idiots."

Guiltyspike says- "What utter and complete nimrods"
The article is old and when I read it before it had pictures, but I can't find a link to it now. Boo.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Squishy face

Allow me to pick apart this article for a moment.

Quote:
who exhibited “gameness” (willingness to take on another animal in a fight
This is a woefully inadequate description. Gameness, while the true definition is subject to debate among the APBT community, is not just a "willingness to fight", it is what keeps the dog going through pain, a stubbornness and determination. There are many dogs that will fight but are not "game".

Quote:
BUT—when selecting a dog, it doesn’t hurt to consider how (or IF) you will be able to restrain it if, God forbid, a bite were to occur. Or if another dog attacks yours at say, a dog park. If you’re a big, strong guy and you can easily restrain your 120-lb Rottweiler, great. But if you’re an 125-lb woman and you own the same Rottweiler, it’s a good idea to have some plan for restraining the dog if you need to in an emergency…or to reconsider getting one.
By this logic no-one should have dogs bigger than 20lbs, because even 35lb dogs are VERY strong when they are determined. I've seen a 6ft tall man almost get dragged to the ground by a 40lb lab mix who wasn't leash trained. Dogs are kept under control by training, not by our size or strength. Also, way for the author to come off as sexist.

Quote:
This happens with treadmills, heavy chains, weights, long swimming workouts, bite work, springpoles, steroids, creatine, and supplements, not to mention many hours of encouragement/antagonism from trainers.
Thanks for perpetuating false information and making any activity a pit bull owner does with his or her dog appear to be a criminal activity. And what does the writer mean by "bite work"? Is he referring to PP/Schutz? Is he referring to the "bait dog" lies spread by HSUS (thus encouraging it to actually be practiced)?

Quote:
"The solution is.... the establishment of anti-tethering ordinances."
Yes, because outlawing the use of a TOOL always works to solve the underlying problem!

I would say about 90% of the article is decently written, but the author should really do more research.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
sarabeedlybgirl

Default Piles

Hi its great to be here i daydream that i can servants out and also learn a end from you guys ,thanks as having me.