Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Let it be

I have broken all those rules and am not living in poverty. I BEAT THE SYSTEM BOO YEAH.

/hides

But seriously as a general rule I agree. Life sometimes throws you curves though and you have to cope, get a little creative and make your situation work.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Don't spend more than you earn.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Jelly baby?

I'd say the full-time job is really the only one that will "guarantee" anything. Even then a full-time job doesn't guarantee non-poverty. I know plenty of people who didn't graduate high school, or didn't go to college, and make more than I do.

Overall I would say those three things are a good idea, though, but not a "YOU MUST DO THIS OR YOU WILL FAIL MISERABLY!"

Quote:
Having a full-time job can be out of your control at times though.
Yes I've been looking for full-time work for years and NOTHING has come up. Not even Walmart or anything.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
[threadjack]There is no such thing as "ready to be a parent" no matter how old or settled you are. Sure, there are better times and more ideal circumstances than others to start a family, but there isn't a single person who is not a parent who is "ready to be a parent". Hell, most of us who are parents still aren't ready [/threadjack]
I think I disagree. I know plenty of women who were "established" in their marriage and career and decided to have their kid(s) later. They fully embraced the thought of being a mom (and dad). I believe you can be ready for a child.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Felurian

It's always easier to deal with living in a world where there is poverty if we can rationalize and compartmentalize it so that it must be always be the fault of the poverty stricken.

After all, the "working poor" are just a myth. Like the monster under the bed. And anyone who wants to work can have a job that pays enough to live on reasonably.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I think I disagree. I know plenty of women who were "established" in their marriage and career and decided to have their kid(s) later. They fully embraced the thought of being a mom (and dad). I believe you can be ready for a child.
At the risk of calling someone out, M&M's Mommy comes to mind as someone who was more than ready to be a parent before God gave her the opportunity to be a mom.

In my personal life, our friends just had their first baby this past fall. They've been married 10 years, and she's been wanting kids for the past 3-4, but the timing just wasn't right. They waited, and everything fell into place nicely so they could have their child at the right time. She was more than ready to be a parent before she had her son.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
At the risk of calling someone out, M&M's Mommy comes to mind as someone who was more than ready to be a parent before God gave her the opportunity to be a mom.

In my personal life, our friends just had their first baby this past fall. They've been married 10 years, and she's been wanting kids for the past 3-4, but the timing just wasn't right. They waited, and everything fell into place nicely so they could have their child at the right time. She was more than ready to be a parent before she had her son.
Not to derail this thread or anything, but my mom waited until she was 29 to have me. When she told people at work (mostly women in their 20s) they were shocked and couldn't believe she waited so long. I find their reactions so bizarre! I'm glad my mum waited. I'm not saying under 29 is a bad age, but I know that for her she wanted kids, but she knew she had to wait until it was the best time.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 PM
*Now with Snark*

My five rules for staying out of poverty

Be Flexible
Work hard
Avoid debt
Save where you can
Be aware that things can and do change

Also the myth of no one being prepared for parenting is a bunch of BS, although kids often don't read the books on how they should be. Choosing to be a parent is almost always better than incidentally falling ass first into it. I know for me kids will be a conscious decision to have.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think it makes sense and is a good general guideline for most of the population!

but remember guys, it's a general guideline. Not all rules apply to all people.

For instance..

GUIDELINES FOR STAYING OUT OF JAIL

1. Don't steal
2. Don't kill anybody
3. Don't try to kill anybody
4. Obey all traffic laws
5. Pay your taxes
6. Don't assault people
7. Don't rape anybody
8. Be rich
9. Be white
10. Be a celebrity

Following these rules.. 99.9% of people WILL NOT GO TO JAIL! EVER!

..but then..

Old 01-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
The last one made me LOL. Thats like saying the key to being attractive is not to be ugly.