Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I really really don't know, I would like to say yes because I really really want to get it. But it's such an awkward body position for them! He has no issue up against a wall or even pushing off of it a bit, much like Zuma (though I think Zuma is better away from the wall then him by far, he just offers one leg up and then a tiny hop with the other)

Right now, I'm going to go with the idea that it's going to take much more muscle memory and core muscle strength to get there. That's why I'm just going to work on back leg raising and going up a wall in different places for now.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm interested to see how far you can take it!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Sounds like a good plan. I'm interested to see how far you can take it!
Me. Too.

So question for you all, how many things do you work on at once? Do you find it confuses your dog if you are shaping more than one or a couple of things at once and do you avoid it?
Old 01-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I think it's possible for them to physically do it though. I think kikopups border collie can do a handstand. I think its more unused core muscles need to strengthen up.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
So question for you all, how many things do you work on at once? Do you find it confuses your dog if you are shaping more than one or a couple of things at once and do you avoid it?
When Mu was in her tricks class (technically over but we still have to do the performance) we worked on up to three things concurrently. She didn't have a problem with it at all but I haven't tried that with any dog but her so....I dunno. I think as long as you divide it up into sessions it would be fine. And (for example) don't click for a bow when you're working on back up or your dog will forever and always back up into a bow. That is, if they will if they're anything like mine. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

I've found you can work on a couple different tricks as long as they are very different from each other. Working on the opposite leg lifts at the same time as the handstand really confused Zuma, because she didn't know what to offer at any point. So now we are working on the opposite leg lifts, hopping backwards on hind legs and roll over.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Top Dog

If Traveler's hopping he may be getting very close! That's what Savvy started doing and still does some, as well as offering the brief "real" handstand. I do think it takes conditioning though for sure. I'm pretty sure Traveler should be capable if it, really hope so

I teach my dogs all sorts of stuff all at once and never had any trouble. Sometimes initially, there will be some early confusion in the way of offering something you were just working on but it isn't really a big deal at all.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Me. Too.

We always work on multiple things. I get bored doing the same old stuff and Juno finds it even more boring. Usually I pick something I want to train and work on, and then during a single session we alternate between working on that, and me just clicking anything and everything she offers me. Breaks up the monotony of working on a single behavior, and oftentimes my random clicking leads to fun behaviors for me to expand on. There might be some confusion, but not enough that it screws us up.

I've been trying to get her to target with her back feet but she does not get it lol. I'm sure it's just an error on my part, as usual. I thought she was getting it but then I realized she really just thinks I want her to back up. Which might be an okay starting point, but she is not very good at backing up ONTO an object.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Twin 2

So everyone, don't forget to keep updating what you're doing! I love all the video's and watching the progress and seeing what everyone is up to!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
So everyone, don't forget to keep updating what you're doing! I love all the video's and watching the progress and seeing what everyone is up to!
On that note, I tried to get Mu to rotate on her platform without me last night. We ended up with a hop, twist, head turn, FLING BODY around that I had to stop clicking because even though it's hilarious it is so so wrong. Apparently she can't possibly turn her back to me for more than a split second. *facepalm*

I also took a video of all of the tricks we learned in tricks class - I just need to upload it. I'm not sure what our next trick will be. I want to start working on muscle memory so we can do dance and beg.

Tipper has learned how to crawl. It's the cutest thing EVAR. And it only took one session to pick up - I started clicking her for front paw movement and she just went with it. I'm working on dance with her too, her ability to stay upright is very impressive.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

I've been trying to get her to target with her back feet but she does not get it lol. I'm sure it's just an error on my part, as usual. I thought she was getting it but then I realized she really just thinks I want her to back up. Which might be an okay starting point, but she is not very good at backing up ONTO an object.
You can definitely train it with the backing up. Start with a very flat surface for her to back up onto - a lid from a plastic tote or even a large towel folded in half. Then gradually increase the height of the surface. Most dogs, especially ones who haven't done a lot of rear end awareness style tricks don't understand they can put their back legs up onto something behind them.