Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
What specifically do people mean by "pushy" or "needy" or "wanting to BE you"?
As far as wanting to "be" you, one thing I've noticed about GSDs I've had and worked around is they are soooo into you, their emotions are literally tied to your emotional state. They don't seem to have emotions independent of yours. And they work really hard to keep it that way. That's why trying to have one be my PTSD service dog was a complete fail.

Both Tengu (amline/west german blend) and Anko (DDR) were like that. They'd staaaaarre, and stare some more. And then some more. If I got anxious, they'd instantly leap to their feet making anxious wookie noises and begin hunting for the source of my anxiety. Anko was a lot more balanced and had a more solid head on her shoulders (she was also a mature female), Tengu became extremely reactive to various random things that she decided were making me anxious, and therefore were Teh Debil and needed to be driven away. If I was happy, they were ecstatic. It's not like with my hounds where Strider will be sad, because he's sad and it has nothing to do with me. Or Kaia leaping into the air with joy even if I'm a bit down. There's nothing wrong with shepherds being that way, I just prefer my dogs to be more independent and not constantly study me so that the know how they should feel at any given moment.

Maybe it's a bitch thing? Come to think of it, all of the GSDs I've lived/worked with were female and they all did it.

They honestly seem to settle all right in the house. The physical activity didn't bother me as much as the sighing, mooing, moaning, wookie grunts, staring, more moaning... lol. Tengu settled a lot better than Anko even though she was younger. Anko had a tense settle. She'd lay down in a sphinx position, ready to spring to her feet the instant you commanded because she lived for long strings of tedious commands. All four that I've worked around sort of writhe around mooing pitifully when made to settle for long periods if they haven't had their daily quota of work.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
This is a more adequate description of the German Shepherd Dogs I am used to and prefer. I am honestly surprised that the common consensus is that GSDs are constantly physically pushy and unable to settle well, because that has not been my experience. Then again, my experience is not with the competition sport trained dogs, so perhaps that is why?
It's not my description either. Either I have vastly different definitions or much different dogs. Mine are competition dogs as well though. The two I have now, one is what I consider to have very high drive, but only a mid level sport temperament. The other one has no limits other than I am her helper and handler and makes things difficult to do the training I want to and she's just coming off an ACL injury and 8 weeks of rest first round of light jumping last week and all is well so far.

While they certainly don't come out of the box so to speak knowing everything, i don't find them terribly difficult to live with or leave somewhere. It's one of the things I really love about them, they are able to go a thousand miles an hour and go till they drop, but also STOP when it's time to stop.

These aren't the first two i've had and won't be the last. Either i'm extremely lucky or something different is at work. I don't think my dogs fit the descriptions being left here either at all. Is it because I would describe things differently? or because my dogs behave differently?

what's pushy? can they be? YES, are they? NO They don't hump anything, none of them have. They don't throw fits. They do have energy, they are very driven and they can just chill out.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Thanks guys. I'm really enjoying reading this thread and it's interesting to read about different experiences people have had with this breed. Majority of the GSDs I run into are the ones at daycare and I can totally see how that would not be the best scenario to base a breed's overall temperament. I would absolutely love to meet some well bred German Shepherds outside of my work.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
As far as wanting to "be" you, one thing I've noticed about GSDs I've had and worked around is they are soooo into you, their emotions are literally tied to your emotional state. They don't seem to have emotions independent of yours. And they work really hard to keep it that way. That's why trying to have one be my PTSD service dog was a complete fail.

Both Tengu (amline/west german blend) and Anko (DDR) were like that. They'd staaaaarre, and stare some more. And then some more. If I got anxious, they'd instantly leap to their feet making anxious wookie noises and begin hunting for the source of my anxiety. Anko was a lot more balanced and had a more solid head on her shoulders (she was also a mature female), Tengu became extremely reactive to various random things that she decided were making me anxious, and therefore were Teh Debil and needed to be driven away. If I was happy, they were ecstatic. It's not like with my hounds where Strider will be sad, because he's sad and it has nothing to do with me. Or Kaia leaping into the air with joy even if I'm a bit down. There's nothing wrong with shepherds being that way, I just prefer my dogs to be more independent and not constantly study me so that the know how they should feel at any given moment.

Maybe it's a bitch thing? Come to think of it, all of the GSDs I've lived/worked with were female and they all did it.

They honestly seem to settle all right in the house. The physical activity didn't bother me as much as the sighing, mooing, moaning, wookie grunts, staring, more moaning... lol. Tengu settled a lot better than Anko even though she was younger. Anko had a tense settle. She'd lay down in a sphinx position, ready to spring to her feet the instant you commanded because she lived for long strings of tedious commands. All four that I've worked around sort of writhe around mooing pitifully when made to settle for long periods if they haven't had their daily quota of work.
lol he does the mooing/groaning/moaning noise when he's bored and he lies down lol but he does it infrequently, not more than a couple of days in a week and not more than 3x in a day. Infrequently enough that I find it funny vs annoying

He can be high strung (pacing etc) inside the house but that only happens in the evening when my mom comes home... her dog goes nuts when she comes home, and is completely I mean completely uncontrolled, barking, snarling, pushing past you, stealing stuff, yapping left right center... an utter menace. And Roman tends to anxious I guess at that time. With just me here, he basically lays around

e.g. (gratuitous pic from a few minutes ago )

and sometimes he plays with a toy, esp if he hasn't been out.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

I have two GSD mixes and a lot of whats being said is definitely true.

I know Lily (GSD/Sibe mix) would be fine in a daycare environment, but I would never put her in one. She's extremely conscious of polite dog on dog interaction and she is getting less tolerant of very rude dogs as she gets older (she's 5). She's extremely outgoing with people. I've only had her alert on 2 or 3 people ever, one of which was an upstairs neighbor that she alerted on every single time she saw him. He is now in federal prison, so uh I'm gonna trust her judgement. She's very vocal, but most of it is husky woo-woo-ing rather than the GSD yodeling and barking. I know its gonna be a good morning if I get howled at, lol. She settles well in the house, but is always ready to go. I honestly do not think I've ever really worn her out, of course the sibe could have something to do with that. Like I said, she loves people, but doesn't give a crap about working for anyone but me.

Scout (aprox. 75% GSD) is a very badly bred dog. I feel I gotta preface it with that because its true. She's got generalized anxiety that is genetically rooted. BUT her previous two owners also created quite a few problems with her too. Big example that relates to this discussion is that her first adopter didn't know what little sharkies baby GSD's can be and assumed that her tearing out of her kennel as a pup was SA, so then she bought a byb showline GSD male with problems to keep her company and stuck both in daycare all day long as well as taking them to the dog park. As a result, Scout has AWFUL dog on dog life skills and a really screwed up co-dependancy/insecurity relating to other dogs. Its been such a pain in my a$$. Luckily Lily has been very patient with her and they get along well despite both wanting to be my only dog and being GSD mix bitches and not caring much for other bitches in general. Scout barks a lot during play, especially when she gets overstimulated.

She also learned in previous homes that if she acted more scared than she is, she got the reward of being left to her own devices...

That said, Scout is extremely intelligent, sweet, and would literally do anything for me despite her fears about life. She yodels and barks a lot, but I love it. Which is weird because I cannot stand my friend's lab mix's barking or my little foster's barking. The little foster's has learned to woo-woo as of late though and isn't as annoying now. I took Scout with the intention of her being a foster and thus far have failed pretty miserably. IF a freakishly perfect home showed up that could give her a better life than me (lower key and less stress for her would be good, much as it pains me to say it) then yes I would place her. OMG it would be painful as hell though. I am very picky, odds are a home like that won't present itself. I hope I always consider what is best for her though and not just my own selfish attachment to her.

Both settle well inside, but they play together a lot in the house and there are times where I'm reading and both my hands are full of tug toy...
Both are very in tune with me... to the point where at one time when I was very stressed about something Scout refused to eat. Both understand that my cats are off limits and are great with them.... not so much with strange cats though.
If I have to go somewhere my mom or friend babysit's. Lily pines really badly and the day I'm headed back (I have no idea how she knows!) she is usually chirping like crazy and generally being completely insane. They are both meh on eating when I'm not there too I have been told.
Scout was great the groomer's, but Lily doesn't like anyone but me manhandling her like that. They've only ever gone once, I usually do everything myself.
They will both push around people who aren't me. The one exception is my one best friend.

Having met enough well bred GSD's I can honestly say they are fantastic dogs that I would be extremely happy to own. I very much like west German/Czech combo dogs that I've met. I feel like I just click right with the high drive shepherds. Some have said they wouldn't have another for various reasons, but for me its the opposite... everything not a shepherd just doesn't quite measure up in my eyes. Depending on the month I might lean more toward Malinois or Dutchie, but whatever breed I end up getting in the future would be peachy with me. I do like the extreme athleticism (not to say GSD's aren't athletic by any means!) of Mals and the lighter, more upright structure as well, but I've met/lived with (family friend!) enough GSD's to know that I'd be more than happy living with one. I will actually be dog sitting a very nice girl sometime this spring probably. Looking forward to it!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

I've never met one like the ones you described. All the ones I have met have been very loyal and focused on their owners, but not obsessively so. A friend of my sisters has a pup just now, and she is amazing, she is so eager to please, willing to learn, and smart, oh so smart. Not to mention, she is gorgeous!

I always wanted a GSD when I was younger, but realised they are way too much for me. Just need too much exercise for my lifestyle at the moment.

My Photos
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

I don't want people leaving this thread thinking that my dog is a menace in the house. He is hard to live with, I won't lie, but he is a good dog. He helps my grandma and is very gentle with her at all times.

But my dog is not super suited for sport work. His breeding and litter was meant for more serious venues such as real patrol work etc. He has a direct sister who is a working K9. He got placed in a sport home but honestly that is not where he should have been. I've had many offers from K9 officers to buy him as a started dog. His attitude and the way he is, is partly why I do Personal Protection stuff with him. He is extremely friendly has excellent nerves and is a GREAT dog but he would kill the average sport dog owner let alone a pet dog person. As I said my dog's not balanced.

You can find a good solid GSD if you do your research and look hard! They are out there but you can end up with one like my dog.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Apollo was very in tune with my emotions, but he was definitely his own dog. He grumbled when settling, but that was it. He liked to move around the house a bit faster than a walk, but once he reached wherever he was going, he was happy to settle down. He would bark out of frustration outside a lot, but never in the house. He was a high drive dog, very willing to engage the helper, very "up" in his work, but controlled. He was a serious worked, but very level headed.

Knox doesn't pace either, he's also willing to settle down and chill with me, but he couldn't care less about my feelings. He's a much more stubborn, hard headed fool of a dog. He's got pretty good work ethic, his drive is either a lot higher than Apollos (Apollo would never have dreamed of hurting the cat, Knox wants to eat him, literally) or it's less controlled than Apollos was. Knox can come to daycare with me, but he's a bit of a bully sometimes, and he definitely likes to get his hump on occasionally. (It's gotten better) but nothing I can't control. I wouldn't leave him there with certain people, but others I work with I would be fine leaving him with them.

He's much much more of a talker/sigher/grumbler than Apollo. He also screams when he's excited, when he's frustrated, ect. He doesn't bark hardly at all. He will sometimes, but he's much more likely to scream and make wookie noises than bark. Apollo never screamed, or did very much that was undignified.

He can be very stubborn if he doesn't see the point in something. Not really working per say, because he'd work until he dropped just about, but he doesn't like Steven's car, and has to basically be either bribed to get in it, or I have to pick him up to put him in it. No amount of cajoling will get him in that car. If he doesn't want to do something, like get out of the front seat, or go down stairs, he puts the brakes on. I think it's some sort of magical shepherd ability to instantly make themselves about fifteen times heavier than they normally are.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Meh, my dogs are menaces in the house, join the club. That's why we have "Doggy Jail".

But, yes, I know... they're malinois or better known as sewer rats on crack in the shepherd world. LOL
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Meh, my dogs are menaces in the house, join the club. That's why we have "Doggy Jail".

But, yes, I know... they're malinois or better known as sewer rats on crack in the shepherd world. LOL
lol.

I guess they respect the idea of a fence?