Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

I think everyone has summed it up fairly well. I am really surprised that so many go to daycare, my boy would walk in a daycare and turn it upside down. Depending on the lines they are not typically good dog park/daycare dogs. Too much freedom for things to go wrong. I do playdates with a small group of friends for my boy.

Quote:
The biggest issues that I have seen people have with GSDs are not appreciating just how guardy they can be and not training/managing them appropriately. And the dog aggression/reactivity/intolerance issues. Many can also be very bad about handling, especially from strangers (such as vets or groomers), so they need to be socialized and trained to accept such things at a young age. They can also be pretty high energy and some can be a bit destructive as youngsters. Some GSD people also refer to GSD babies as "landsharks" because they are so mouthy, grabby and bitey
This is SO SO SO SO SO true. My boy is VERY different in the fact that he is EXTREMELY social and friendly. That said, he does not allow other people to manipulate him/his body in ways that he is not ok with. He is at 4 years old and still can be destructive. The mouthy stage is a hard stage and too many people don't realize that is the BREED!

Overall, Judge is the most social friendly GSD that many people have ever seen. He LOVES everyone, unless they give him a reason not too. I will say that I hands down trust his judgement, if he doesn't like someone then that person is never around again period. I trust him so much because he is SO friendly.

To be completely honest, Judge is the hardest dog I have ever trained/lived with or owned. He is extremely pushy and can be needy. He is so in tune to me and my feelings that if I am just a smidge off in my head, he picks up on it and turns himself inside out trying to "fix" it. I HATE that about him. It makes it near impossible to trial him because of MY nerves.

I love GSDs but I more than likely will not have another. Judge has very extreme drive and that has turned me off of them a little bit. I love my boy and he is fantastic but Geez, he is a tough dog to live with. For those curious he is West German Working lines with a bit of Czech thrown in WAY back.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.