Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

Smile Look at this adorable pup - Seattle Aquarium

Pup's first vet exam:Video I might be going with my daughter tomorrow to see her....or to a museum. We haven't decided yet for sure.

http://blog.seattleaquarium.org/

Quote:
For those of you who like cute fuzzy things or have little ones who like cute fuzzy things, one of the sea otters at the Seattle Aquarium just gave birth to a pup. It was born early Saturday morning. There is some information and a picture of mom and pup below and more pictures and videos on the Seattle Aquarium's facebook page, if anyone is interested.

The pups grow pretty quickly, so if you are looking for something fun to do in the next few weeks, I would highly suggest visiting the little guy. I haven't seen the new pup myself yet, but plan on making a stop in this weekend.

For those of you who don't know much about sea otters, here are a few interesting facts:
Aniak, the mother, is the daughter of Lootas, who is also at the Seattle Aquarium. Lootas came to the aquarium as a young pup herself when her mom was accidentally killed by a boat.
Unlike river otters, sea otters can live their entire lives at sea. They are born, eat, and sleep in the water.
Although pups can float, they spend much of their puppyhood on mom's stomach, while moms grooms, feeds, and teaches them to hunt.
Once they are grown, sea otters are in nearly constant motion cleaning and grooming their fur. They keep warm by keeping air bubbles trapped in their fur. If the fur gets dirty, they will loose their protection against the cold sea water. This is why oil spills are so dangerous to sea otters - if oil gets in their fur and they can't clean it off, they quickly become hypothermic.
The AZA recently stopped all sea otter breeding programs in zoos and aquariums to leave the space open for injured or abandoned wild otters, so being able to see a brand new pup is pretty unusual (this one was a bit of accident).
I hope you get a chance to see the new pup!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

Awww Not much cuter than an otter!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Lots of amazingness in that video.
I was fascinated with the training aspect of course How do you get a wild animal to hand over their offspring without stressing either mom or baby? Neat, training techniques...
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Lots of amazingness in that video.
I was fascinated with the training aspect of course How do you get a wild animal to hand over their offspring without stressing either mom or baby? Neat, training techniques...
Exactly!!! I love the part where they give the pup back to her mom and the mom promptly put her back on the ledge, like "Nope! You keep her, I get shrimp while you have her, so keep it coming!"

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Exactly!!! I love the part where they give the pup back to her mom and the mom promptly put her back on the ledge, like "Nope! You keep her, I get shrimp while you have her, so keep it coming!"
Ha ha I loved that part too <3
And hafta say... as the mom of twins, I empathize greatly with the otter mom Here YOU take the baby, Iíll lay here and eat shrimp cocktail...
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

Same here....I loved watching the mama bring her baby over and trust her caretakers with her...amazing.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

I laughed right out loud when that mama passed the baby back up on the deck....she totally trusts the people. Gee wiz...how could she not with all the free shrimp cocktail? LOL. Yes, it looks like it takes two people; one to examine and one to keep dishing out the goodies to make sure the Mom is all right with it. In fact, it looks like she's come to enjoy handing over her baby to the "baby-sitters." LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

That. is. adorable! I love how much momma trusts her keepers with her baby!

I love otters <3 so much.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Walks into Mordor

I could not be the vet. I would be too busy squeeing and cuddling the little fluffball to actually do the exam.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

I love otters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno

That's one of my fav videos