Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Samio, I do want to give you a bit of caution tho as you said you were going to ask your neighbor how he accomplished being able to walk his german shepherd off lead.

Sibes are well known for being runners and with their stamina it is something you should definitely be aware of. Most Sibe owners will tell you that they don't ever recommend having your dog off-lead unless they are in a well secured fenced area. They are escape artists as well and known to go over or dig under conventionally installed fences.

One thing that might help with the walks is to let your pup burn off some of the excess energy by running around in a fenced in area first. Sibes do require alot of exercise as well as mental stimulation.

Training sessions at this age should be short, 10-15 minutes and always end them on a good note. For example if your pup has a good response to a sit command, end the session with that with loads of praise afterwards.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Active Pup

hey you guys
Old 11-13-2005, 02:40 AM
Novice Husky Tamer

Thank you all for your amazing replies. Yea PoodlesMom, I've been told tons of times not to trust my sibe off leash. I was just wondering if maybe my neighbors technique for teaching his dog to heel off leash will work with mines on lease, lol.

Well now during his morning walks he's doing great (besides the occasional walking forward and pulling a bit) but at night is where the problem is still present. As long as I'm walking at night he does fine, but as soon as I stop (to wait for my food in front of the pizza shop for example) he begins screaming and pulling. My guess is that maybe he's afraid of the night and feels comfortable while we're walking (maybe hoping we're going home). He's definitly showing improvement though.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

He is still a baby and I am sure he will continually improve plus you said you just got him so he still is getting used to everything. I am sure your neighbor will tell you it took him months of on-lead training to get to being off-lead. As well trained as my 2 are I still wouldn't put them in a situation where they would be in danger off-lead such as in areas where there is traffic, etc. It only takes a quick second for something disasterous to happen and I always try to err on the side of caution, especially where my furpals are concerned.

If you think he might be afraid of nighttime try having some fun play sessions outside when it is dark to get him more used to it. As he sees you not being concerned about it being dark he will learn he has nothing to be concerned about.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

Have you tried carrying a glow-stick?

Okay, I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but when my dobe was a baby and on her own at night, she would scream and howl and make just a pill of herself. Inspiration struck me one night and I gave over my nephew's old "Glow Worm", which was just a squishy stuffed toy with a dim light inside. We'd turn it on at bed time and never heard a peep out of her. I think it was the combination night-light-effect and something-to-snuggle-with-effect. But something with a little light on you can help your guy recognize you at night, which may reduce his anxiety.

And just like PoodlesMom said, if you make a positive association with nighttime in his mind, he's much more likely to enjoy it. Have relaxed play sessions at night (on-lead, of course), and be sure to bring him back inside before he gets frightened or uncomfortable. Show him that it's just not that big a deal!

It might take some time, because I'd be willing to bet that his eyes aren't fully developed. He may actually not see well in the dark, which can be disorienting. But that may improve as he gets older and better able to use those muscles.