Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default German Shepherds- curious

When I was younger I always ALWAYS wanted a German Shepherd second to a border collie of course.

Anyways, I have met some pretty amazing GSDs in the past...

Fast forward to now. I work in a dog daycare and we have a LOT of German Shepherds that come to our daycare. I can't stand a single one of them. They are off the WALL boisterous dogs and SUPER pushy and they are some of our worst humpers. A couple owners own two of them (male and female pair) and the GSD pairs that come in are super clingy with each other. If you take one of the dogs away from the other even for a moment, they will both throw a huge fit. They're stubborn. They also are so needy with their owners that they literally scream bloody murder in the lobby when their owners come to pick them up. They just aren't at all what I imagined a German Shepherd to be and to be honest, these dogs are ruining my adoration for German Shepherds.

Is what I described a typical temperament for this breed? Or does it depend on the lines? I know we are right near Virginia German Shepherd Rescue and we give discounts to people from the rescue which is probably why we end up with so many, but sadly I don't like any of the ones at work.

Describe to me what a normal temperament should be? The differences between some of the different lines (American, German, Czech etc).... I know that looks wise I love the look of the European working lines, but again.... The temperament is the part I'm unsure about right now.

This is a breed I would like to want.... But if the way they are at my work is the way they generally are.... Then no way.

And an obligatory picture of one of our GSDs at work. Meet Tempest. She is super smart but one of the major pushy dogs, young and a pain in my ass. She's lucky she is cute lol...