Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

Default Is raw about to come under fire?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3003575/

I sure hope not. I see a lot of crappy anecdotal 'evidence', such as the cat only fed pork liver, that seem to be trying to make a small case against it.

I'm not entirely sure what the issue is here, other than people not knowing what they're doing. Kibble is still a new invention. In the time it's existed, animals have not evolved to accept it as the best diet despite there being great examples of kibble. Literally the only thing I can think off that someone could claim against it is misinformation or lack of education.

I've always had issues finding a vet that accepted my feeding raw, and I've heard the same from others. What I've read about many veterinarians and how nutrition is taught, this doesn't surprise me. I know it's hard to find a vet that is more accepting of raw in some places.

I wonder where this will all take raw in the public eye. I was under the impression it was doing so well. :\

My Polyvore
Old 01-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Top Dog

It's pretty comical when people of "science" and "education" try and make a case against real food. Food in it's whole form that has fed and nurished all the creatures of this earth for thousands and billions of years. That stuff is **** and dangerous, better to feed processed stuff, because humans have gotten it right after 50 years
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM
love the fluff

I think it all comes from lack of understanding. Which is hard to believe anyone could argue with a way of feeding that has been around since before humans exsisted. Its 100% natural unlike kibble. I don't know how to make people see that. Raw feeding can come under fire all anyone wants it to, but it won't change a thing.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Plus, vets (well, most traditional vets) are notoriously bad for not knowing a thing about nutrition. They just want to sell their overpriced "vet foods" that are bags of corn-filled crap for $80.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'd love to see the financial backers of this.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

When has raw NOT been under fire by most people? Really, I have known exactly one person outside of Chaz to feed raw, and everyone else is like ZOMG NOOOO YOU KILL YOUR ANIAMLS LIKE THAT!!!1!!11! I mean, people that go batshit crazy at the mere mention of the word "raw" and how even eggs have to be cooked because they're POISON when they're raw.

I was pretty thrilled when we had a guy with GSDs come into the clinic a couple weeks ago and he fed raw lol.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I've had a pretty great reception from raw. Initially, many people question it. Simple explanation has set them all straight though. I've had a lot of people come to me on how to start as well.

Unfortunately, it seems this sort of fire, albeit bullsh*t, will at least APPEAR to have some sort of 'backing', spreading more ignorance.

I too would love to see who is behind this. Wouldn't take too many guesses I'm sure.

My Polyvore
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 AM
overdogged

They always jump on the e.coli, salmonella factor and I have a hard time getting all that excited about it. There are germs in the world. You're never going to escape them. Most of the time, it's no big deal. Why freak out about it?

Wash your freaking hands, people. It'll be ok.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM
love the fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
They always jump on the e.coli, salmonella factor and I have a hard time getting all that excited about it. There are germs in the world. You're never going to escape them. Most of the time, it's no big deal. Why freak out about it?

I think when people jump on the e coli and salmonella stuff, they are thinking in a "human" frame of mind not dog. WE can't handle that without getting sick, but dogs are designed for it and thats what I always try to get them to understand. Dogs and people have 100% different digestive systems.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post

Sometimes I think people like to have something to freak out about, just so they can freak out.

I wonder what they'd do if they ever found out they have 10x's more bacterial cells than their own human cells in their body.