Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
How big is Ozzy? For some reason I always pictured him around 40lbs. Webby is around 17" and 22lbs.

Building a 4' contact board is cake, especially if you have a circular saw. I built mine last fall when I realized I was losing access to all my contact equipment (moving) and would be teaching Mira agility in a 15 x 30 loft...lol. Texturing it is the only time-consuming part, depending on how fussy you want to be about it.

Later built the down plank of a DW too but the 4' is really versatile.
Ozzy is about thirty pounds and I think 19" tall. So he's slightly bigger than The Webster. His ears are not nearly as awesome though lol.

and I have a circular saw! And a nail gun! Woooo!!!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
So much happy for Zuma and Savvy!!!! That's really really really great! Savvy is so freaking adorable and you're right, he does seem to be getting the idea.

I've been stalled out trying to figure out how to make the handstand translate to away from the wall. He uses the wall a lot as a crutch to get up it and I think I would have him offering both legs off the wall soon but I really need to work on his core strength to get into the handstand away from the wall.

So my idea when I was thinking about it last night was that I have a coffee table in the livingroom that is about knee hight. If get him to get his back feet on top of that he won't be able to climb up it like the wall, he will have to flip his back feet onto it. Then I can work towards higher things with no solid vertical surface to use.

That way I can help him work on the motion and get him used to not using his back legs to climb up it, rather use his core strength to lift his back legs up.
I'm not sure if it helped, but I taught Cohen to first push herself up on a large, flat box - it was pretty bouncy and I think she sort of naturally tossed her feet up it, giving her some clearance from the wall.

http://youtu.be/UnC6r-Vkv9M

And here was a video I took today (which I know you've already seen). I've been hella lazy refining the behaviour, but I'm definitely seeing increased strength. I don't think I caught it here, but sometimes Cohen just windmills herself up into position and it's really lovely.

http://youtu.be/kpkEIH4QZ7k

I'll start improving form then try again for balance/duration.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
So much happy for Zuma and Savvy!!!! That's really really really great! Savvy is so freaking adorable and you're right, he does seem to be getting the idea.
I could not stop laughing at him at class. And the more I laughed, the more he offered his handstand!

Very cool that Zuma is getting it now too!

Quote:
I've been stalled out trying to figure out how to make the handstand translate to away from the wall. He uses the wall a lot as a crutch to get up it and I think I would have him offering both legs off the wall soon but I really need to work on his core strength to get into the handstand away from the wall.

So my idea when I was thinking about it last night was that I have a coffee table in the livingroom that is about knee hight. If get him to get his back feet on top of that he won't be able to climb up it like the wall, he will have to flip his back feet onto it. Then I can work towards higher things with no solid vertical surface to use.

That way I can help him work on the motion and get him used to not using his back legs to climb up it, rather use his core strength to lift his back legs up.
One thing I did early on with Savvy that you may want to try is starting him a bit away from the board and marking for leg lifts that don't quite touch it, even if it's just one to start with. Do that a few reps then back to up on the board. I think that might help them get the idea that there might not always be something back there.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Twin 2

Seka, I really love Cohen. A lot. I think she has more bounce her to her back legs in general, Traveler doesn't tend to use his back legs like that. But that springy box was a stroke of genius.

Out of curiosity, how big is she?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
One thing I did early on with Savvy that you may want to try is starting him a bit away from the board and marking for leg lifts that don't quite touch it, even if it's just one to start with. Do that a few reps then back to up on the board. I think that might help them get the idea that there might not always be something back there.
Back Leg Lift

He's actually offered that right from the start but it doesn't seem to be translating
Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Resident fainting goat

Loved all the videos! How did you work on your heel with him? He is so good! I love his side-step
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Back Leg Lift

He's actually offered that right from the start but it doesn't seem to be translating
I would do it with the target behind him, he may start trying to kick back to it. That's what I was doing with Savvy and it seemed to help give the idea of "you might be able to do this without the board". Much to my surprise really!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I would do it with the target behind him, he may start trying to kick back to it. That's what I was doing with Savvy and it seemed to help give the idea of "you might be able to do this without the board". Much to my surprise really!
I'll try it again! I haven't tried it for a few days but when I did it before with the board behind him at all he would just back up with a leg up and back until he ran into and then procede to climb the board again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Loved all the videos! How did you work on your heel with him? He is so good! I love his side-step
Hey Fran, who's heel are you talking about? I think I missed someone posting one. Or I'm just blind! Very possible!
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Top Dog

Just watched Cohen's video - very cool! I'm pretty sure that Silvia Trkman suggests fading the target by having them do it against something that is less and less sturdy or is increasingly thin. I can definitely see with this video how that can work.

And the way she uses her rear reminds me of a lot of Savvy. Actually Aussie and PyrShep bounciness has a similarity to it.

Has anyone seen Jay Sisler's dogs? They were some of the foundation dogs in the Aussie breed and were awesome trick dogs. Very bouncy dogs! They did handstands and walking on their front legs. Looked pretty weird. I'd guess he taught them through molding though? Or at least helped them get into position some how. And his Greyhound did somersaults...possibly the weirdest and most impressive dog trick ever. I can't say he used entirely positive training but he did say that he used leftover pancakes to train the dogs every day. Considering it was the 50s, I'd say he was way ahead of his time.

http://youtu.be/ejioz8N9h3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzD1D...eature=related

Quote:
I'll try it again! I haven't tried it for a few days but when I did it before with the board behind him at all he would just back up with a leg up and back until he ran into and then procede to climb the board again
LOL isn't it funny the answers dogs come up with?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:

Hey Fran, who's heel are you talking about? I think I missed someone posting one. Or I'm just blind! Very possible!
Yours! woops lol I started on the leg life video and then kind of..youtube stalked my way through the others
Old 01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Linds, you are my inspiration!

I haven't worked on Art's handstand in a very very long time, but I went outside to give it a try and see what he remembered today after seeing your video of Traveler. He remembered it perfectly and I was even able to get him to walk 3 steps forward!!!! I've never been able to get him to walk forward before!

Thank you!! ^_^ I didn't have my camera, I wish I would've gotten it on video, but I wanted to end on a good note so I gave him the rest of the treats and ended the training session. I'll give it another go tomorrow and get a video! ^_^