Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
However, one thing that I love about Canons are the screen. I always find the Nikon screens too bright and the picture actually turns out a lot darker, whereas with the Canons, I don't have that problem.
Funny, this is something I've found to be a real annoyance with both my Nikon's (D80 and S550), the screen makes every picture look perfect, but once I try to view them on my computer they are REALLY dark! For printing I find it anywhere from, in between (with my older computer than had a darker screen, photo's would print a bit brighter/clearer, but not as much as the camera's screen), or near the computer screen view (the computer monitor I use with this computer, flat screen, is very near as things print).
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Twin 2.0

^^I've had the same issue. I've finally started remembering to keep that in mind though, so I can adjust my settings accordingly. If the pic is too bright on the screen, it's probably perfect.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
^^I've had the same issue. I've finally started remembering to keep that in mind though, so I can adjust my settings accordingly. If the pic is too bright on the screen, it's probably perfect.
I do that as well. But I find it very irritating. It's not even in the brightness of the screen, but the way they design it I think. I can turn (and do) the brightness setting of the LCD to the lowest level, but the photos still come out a bit underexposed if I see it on the screen perfectly.

Honestly, when someone is buying a camera for 1000+ and especially for even some of the semi to completely professional models (D700 upwards), they could do something about the screen. Even Canon's T3 or Xs doesn't have that problem as far as I remember..

I've gotten used to it and I just adjust automatically now but I don't think it should be this way.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Interesting I have not had this issue on my D7000.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
Interesting I have not had this issue on my D7000.
I think it also depends on your screen on your computer. But as far as I've tired, with all my computers (which are all Macs), the D60 (not as bad), the D90, D7000 all have this problem, these are the cameras I've owned and used extensively. I've been shooting the D90 and D7000 for the last 2+ years and they have the exact same screen, thus same problem. As well as all the Nikons I've used at work (so anything up to D700). I don't know, I've also heard a lot of customers complain about it as well but after a while you just get used to it. To me, it's pretty noticeable. I don't know why.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Slave to the Aussie

So is it just a computer screen thing or is it evident in the printed photo?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielou View Post
So is it just a computer screen thing or is it evident in the printed photo?
For me, yes. I've printed photo's on regular paper, special paper (for making cards), photo paper, and I've had some printed at Walmart, and they all seem to be a bit darker than what you see on the screen. I do love the clarity of the screens, but yeah I've also tried to turn down the brightness and it didn't seem to help.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Interesting I'm going to have to compare my prints to my computer screen when I get home.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
MIiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
I think it also depends on your screen on your computer. But as far as I've tired, with all my computers (which are all Macs), the D60 (not as bad), the D90, D7000 all have this problem, these are the cameras I've owned and used extensively. I've been shooting the D90 and D7000 for the last 2+ years and they have the exact same screen, thus same problem. As well as all the Nikons I've used at work (so anything up to D700). I don't know, I've also heard a lot of customers complain about it as well but after a while you just get used to it. To me, it's pretty noticeable. I don't know why.
I guess my only questions on this would be how do the histograms of your photos look? And does the lcd or your monitors look dark in relation to what the histogram is telling you?

Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
I guess my only questions on this would be how do the histograms of your photos look? And does the lcd or your monitors look dark in relation to what the histogram is telling you?
my LCD monitor, in my opinion reflects the histogram well. However, the LCD screen of the camera...compared to the histogram does look too bright.

My photos do come out darker as prints too. Our photography shop does photofinishing as well, everything is printed with a Noritsu D703 dry lab.

However, the thing is, I almost never ever make prints just from the photos out of my camera. Not never, but I guess very rare, so I've already color corrected it, then it prints out fine. I haven't tried just taking my card and printing from there in a loooong time. Now I want to go test it out...

Edit: I'm just comparing between my computer and camera now, it's not very noticeable in photos where it's very sunny. It becomes more prominent when it's a bit too dark inside. On the camera it seems to be exposed right, but on the computer it's just a tad underexposed. I think it has something to do with the contrast settings on the camera LCD and the computer LCD. On my computer, it looks like the photos have less contrast. Since currently I don't have my laptop LCD calibrated either, the color is a little "off" too. That might be the problem. But when I'm shooting now, the difference is not too noticeable, maybe because I've gotten used to it? I'm not sure. I very very rarely will end up with an underexposed photo now because of the screen differences...

Last edited by Michiyo-Fir; 01-26-2012 at 08:27 PM.