Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 AM
blue's Avatar
blue blue is offline
Jerk.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: wasilla alaska
Posts: 10,088
Default So I got a Kindle Fire

I like to read. I have books every where, living room kitchen, rather extensive collection in the bathroom. I like to reread books and sometimes I cant find the book I want to reread. So an ereader is pretty much a no brainer, all my books from here on out in one place.

Now what are the good useful apps for the Fire? Im going to root this thing soon to get the Android Market on it, and maybe eventually just install Ice Cream Sandwich on it. For now I would like to know what are useful apps for a stock unrooted Kindle Fire?
__________________
I SSH'ed into Mordor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Miakoda's Avatar
Miakoda Miakoda is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,657
Default

Root? Ice cream sandwich? You lost me after "I like to read.".

Lol!
__________________
The Hokey Pokey. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Root? Ice cream sandwich? You lost me after "I like to read.".

Lol!
Yes, me too, LOL!

Do you like your Fire? I have the bottom-of-the-line Kindle (I don't care, I love it), but my dad got the Fire for Christmas and had some problems setting it up. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but he and my sister worked on it for HOURS just trying to get it setup so that he could start downloading books.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Izzy's Valkyrie's Avatar
Izzy's Valkyrie Izzy's Valkyrie is offline
Very Food Agressive
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 5,789
Default

I set up my grandmother's kindle in about 30 minutes including teaching her how to play angry birds *rofl1* They're pretty neat but not entirely intuitive if you're not super tech savvy.

Blue: Angry birds is a fun addiction!
__________________
Jade: DMH Cat
Tango: LH Tripod Chihuahua

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM
stafinois's Avatar
stafinois stafinois is offline
Professional Nerd
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mayberry
Posts: 1,607
Default

I don't have a fire, but I rooted a Nook Tablet. Nobody has managed to unlock the bootloader on this model so i just installed Go Launcher X and Button Savior to simulate a normal version of Android.

What kinds of apparently do you want?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2012, 06:21 PM
k9krazee's Avatar
k9krazee k9krazee is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 2,037
Default

I have a Fire. I much prefer the regular kindle for reading books though, I liked the buttons on the side to move pages and the feature that allows the book to be read to you. I'm adapting though and am starting to like different features that it has.

As far as apps go, I use netflix and pulse probably the most. I'm not really a game player or an app buyer.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM
blue's Avatar
blue blue is offline
Jerk.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: wasilla alaska
Posts: 10,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Root? Ice cream sandwich? You lost me after "I like to read.".

Lol!
Root for an Android device is like Jailbreak for an iOS (iPad iPhone) device. Root is also linux for SuperUser, SuperAdmin, total control of the device.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the latest version of the Android OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Yes, me too, LOL!

Do you like your Fire? I have the bottom-of-the-line Kindle (I don't care, I love it), but my dad got the Fire for Christmas and had some problems setting it up. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but he and my sister worked on it for HOURS just trying to get it setup so that he could start downloading books.
So far I like it, but Im mainly using it as an eReader, Ive only had it 2 days. I am looking for other ways to use it, if it winds up being used 99% of the time as an eReader Im going to give it to my mom and get a Kindle Touch.

I had mine set up in less then 10 minutes of having it home, but I have a few IT certs and work for my ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I set up my grandmother's kindle in about 30 minutes including teaching her how to play angry birds *rofl1* They're pretty neat but not entirely intuitive if you're not super tech savvy.

Blue: Angry birds is a fun addiction!
I had a 11 year old girl hook her Fire to the wireless network in less then a minute, it took me 30 minutes to get her mom to setup the wireless router to the internet and set up the wireless security.

Ive had Angry Birds on my phone for over a year and I only play it on the toilet at work. TMI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
I don't have a fire, but I rooted a Nook Tablet. Nobody has managed to unlock the bootloader on this model so i just installed Go Launcher X and Button Savior to simulate a normal version of Android.

What kinds of apparently do you want?
Im still looking for other uses for this, Im going to root it to get the Android Market on it there are some network tools that arent in the Amazon Market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
I have a Fire. I much prefer the regular kindle for reading books though, I liked the buttons on the side to move pages and the feature that allows the book to be read to you. I'm adapting though and am starting to like different features that it has.

As far as apps go, I use netflix and pulse probably the most. I'm not really a game player or an app buyer.
If this winds up mainly as a eReader Im giving it to my mom and getting the Touch. I got this to tinker with and maybe make it a more useful tool. I need to play with it for more then just a few days to see what the Amazon and Android Markets can offer.
__________________
I SSH'ed into Mordor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,074
Default

No help really, it I have a rooted nook color. Its pretty awesome. Watching videos rocks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 AM
blue's Avatar
blue blue is offline
Jerk.
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: wasilla alaska
Posts: 10,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
No help really, it I have a rooted nook color. Its pretty awesome. Watching videos rocks.
Could you not watch videos on an unrooted Nook Color? I can watch videos on the Fire either from the drive or using Netflix or through the Amazon Prime service. The Nook has a bigger HD I believe.

ETA: I cant imagine Ill be watching many videos on this fire.
__________________
I SSH'ed into Mordor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Sometimes BOTH sides are just full of sh1t.
AKpostal
Blog?
MyDrunkAdmin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site