Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

Oh we have smoke detectors. They are absolute ******* devices, I'm going to tell my family to replace them with optical detectors, they sound peachy.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:02 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I don't think they do "know" the difference. There must be something else going on. Here's some more info. I think it's bad that you don't have a way to get out on the opposite side from the front door. That's really quite dangerous. There should always be two exits. Is there a window you can get out of in the back of the apartment?

/Smoke_alarms_faq.htm[/url]
No one really has smoke detectors in Germany. Only a few private house holds and I guess in certian states they are mandatory in apartment buildings. Our buildings also don't burn down as fast as a wood house - you have longer to exit (for example down the main stairwell, since all apartment doors are firedoors). My apartment building was built with ferroconcret which gives you about an hour before it gets hot on the other side of the wall.
Most private homes are made out of brick.
I can get out on the balcony which is across from my front door, but It can barely be considered an exit in the event of a fire, because its up on the 7th floor.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
No one really has smoke detectors in Germany. Only a few private house holds and I guess in certian states they are mandatory in apartment buildings. Our buildings also don't burn down as fast as a wood house - you have longer to exit (for example down the main stairwell, since all apartment doors are firedoors). My apartment building was built with ferroconcret which gives you about an hour before it gets hot on the other side of the wall.
Most private homes are made out of brick.
I can get out on the balcony which is across from my front door, but It can barely be considered an exit in the event of a fire, because its up on the 7th floor.
Hmmm . . . you might want to invest in an escape ladder. They make them.

Brick, as a opposed to wood, does help . .. somewhat. But everything on the inside can burn, and that means the floors, ceilings and walls in most brick houses (if they are actually brick . .. alot of "brick" houses here are brick veneer . . . I got money off on insurance for having a REAL brick house). As for the apartment building, the fire doesn't have to get to you. Its the smoke that kills most people in fires, not the fire itself. And the real worry is that your exit would be blocked . . . trust me, if someone has a fire in their apartment, they are opening that door . . . and then you have a hallway full of smoke and, possibly, flame.

Don't discount the risk. Yes, the building that burned down while I was there was cheap wood . . . but I've seen plenty of burned out brick and stone buildings (real brick, real stone) and people die there too.

I find it interesting that Germany doesn't have many smoke detectors though . . . although I'm always surprised when people here don't have them. I wonder if its because they used to be radioactive.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Over your bed? That is just too weird. Should be up high in the hall, and one the same for the kitchen..close but not directly in. That would make me suspicious.

Was grateful when we had the fire that the dogs let me know with frantic pacing LONG before the smoke detectors went off.

No matter what burns, once your roof goes the water and falling insulation and char will destroy everything that isn't covered up.IT is an awful mess.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
O

No matter what burns, once your roof goes the water and falling insulation and char will destroy everything that isn't covered up.IT is an awful mess.
I second this. It is an awful mess. Heh . . . I found the pictures from our fire yesterday. Unbelievable . . you forget how bad it was.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 01-18-2012, 01:07 AM
<(같<) <(같)> (>같)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Over your bed? That is just too weird. Should be up high in the hall, and one the same for the kitchen..close but not directly in. That would make me suspicious.

Was grateful when we had the fire that the dogs let me know with frantic pacing LONG before the smoke detectors went off.

My apartment is REALLY small. I have just about 300 square feet. I'm glad I even HAVE a hallway. If they installed the thing in or next to the kitchen It would go off all the time.

Kitchen (before I moved in)

Bed is off to the right, and theres a tiny hallway that leads out the front door.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.