Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

I just bought a pair of the Merrel Pace Glove's. I LOVE them!

I've slowly been building up the length of time I wear them and I can definitely feel the muscles in my feet getting worked. My feet haven't gotten that good a workout since I was doing several hrs of hatha/Iyengar yoga everday a couple years ago (need to start that habit up again...).

I freaking love Merrell shoes. My last shoes were the Siren Sport crosstrainers. I go a lot of miles and the soles of traditional shoes get really distorted/worn/just done for really quickly and then start hurting my feet really badly because I can't afford to buy new pairs that often. Should be interesting to see if the pace glove sole's wear as slowly as the dude at REI says they do...

I think VFF's are about the ugliest things ever invented. JMO.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Resident fainting goat

I am a tippy toe walker..so I kind of "strike" with the ball of my foot.
When standing I also tend to stand on the ball of my foot.
I've been doing that since I was little lol so it's a tough habit to break. Not sure if it's "BAD" really, but yea, its quite odd.

I got tested at the Nike Store (Nike town I believe it's called) and they helped me pick out a shoe they asked what terrain I would be running on and helped with my gait/foot/how I walk/run.

the website is also pretty simple http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh..._KW_0611081618

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
Are you having any issues right now running? If you aren't...I wouldn't change.

For those with pain/issues, switching shoes can sometimes help, but it is a bit of a costly guessing game.

I'm a physical therapist & work with feet everyday - and everyone's feet are SO incredibly different, it is impossible to say if they will work for you or not. Now,a young, active, person with no history of pain/injuries...if using the proper precautions (already mentioned on here) for switching over...should do just fine in VFFs.
Did you read the rest of the thread? Like Allie's post (and all her foot troubles) in particular?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'm going to go at least try a pair on and see how they feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreeza View Post
Are you having any issues right now running? If you aren't...I wouldn't change.

For those with pain/issues, switching shoes can sometimes help, but it is a bit of a costly guessing game.

I'm a physical therapist & work with feet everyday - and everyone's feet are SO incredibly different, it is impossible to say if they will work for you or not. Now,a young, active, person with no history of pain/injuries...if using the proper precautions (already mentioned on here) for switching over...should do just fine in VFFs.
I have no feet issues at all. I just like the idea of barefoot running/hiking.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I am a tippy toe walker..so I kind of "strike" with the ball of my foot.
When standing I also tend to stand on the ball of my foot.
I've been doing that since I was little lol so it's a tough habit to break. Not sure if it's "BAD" really, but yea, its quite odd.

I got tested at the Nike Store (Nike town I believe it's called) and they helped me pick out a shoe they asked what terrain I would be running on and helped with my gait/foot/how I walk/run.

the website is also pretty simple http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh..._KW_0611081618
Sadly going to a store that only sells one brand isn't the best idea. What if your best fit isn't a Nike? As I said for my foot/running style there wasn't a single Nike that would work. Also a website isn't going to be able to do a gait analysis.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Sadly going to a store that only sells one brand isn't the best idea. What if your best fit isn't a Nike? As I said for my foot/running style there wasn't a single Nike that would work. Also a website isn't going to be able to do a gait analysis.
Oh I wasn't really clear.. I've gone to running specialty stores and been fitted for plenty of shoes.
I've also had quite a few other running shoes (asics, new balance etc..) but always end up favoring my nikes.
For somebody shopping for the first pair I probably wouldn't suggest hitting Nike Town first, but I know and love the brand so I figured why not just hit the source? lol she has had nike's before and loves them and the store has a larger selection than the outlets..

Oh and at the store, you get a free tracker pod with your shoe! (keeps track online of your running habits, times, when you slow down, how far you go, etc...) and connects through your ipod!

Which is pretty cool!!

That said, my asics are still around and still are my second favorite. and unlike my pretty little personalized nikes, I don't care about getting them dirty lol but they are almost as comfortable!

but ya, you are right.. if you are shopping for your first pair try going to a store with various brands/shoes to try on

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kJJW1UoQ2E

Here's a cute guy (hot guy) who seems to know what he's talking about.

I have had and loved Saucony shoes.... and have a pair of North face that I love. I don't know that the Northface are specifically for running though. They're not as light weight as they could be. They're probably better for rough terrain.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson