Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Just try me..

But did you pick them out with the help of a person trained to do so? I tried on a zillion shoes and ran around the store. The guy explained what each shoe was doing to my gait etc (I could really feel it with some of the shoes, not so much with others) or a sales person?

I mean only one model of asics worked for me, and I am sure the other shoes are all good shoes.. just not for my foot, my weight and my stride.

I really want to try VFFs but money is tight, so was wondering if people were comparing them to a shoe that was good for their foot, or just a shoe they bought cause it was pretty and comfortable.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
For those who have come from running in running shoes.. did you have a gait analysis done? or did you just go with shoes that were a brand you liked/looked good/ or seemed comfy?

I have some asics that are really good for my feet (so far have yet to meet a Nike shoe that would work...) but would like to try VFFs. I go barefoot all the time, out around the farm etc. But when people say they are better, are they better than an appropriate running shoe for your gait, foot strike and foot conformation?
I always have a gait analysis done. I also took my VFF into my favorite local running store after i got them for the guy to watch me run in them.

He now stocks VFF
Old 01-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
But did you pick them out with the help of a person trained to do so? I tried on a zillion shoes and ran around the store. The guy explained what each shoe was doing to my gait etc (I could really feel it with some of the shoes, not so much with others) or a sales person?

I mean only one model of asics worked for me, and I am sure the other shoes are all good shoes.. just not for my foot, my weight and my stride.

I really want to try VFFs but money is tight, so was wondering if people were comparing them to a shoe that was good for their foot, or just a shoe they bought cause it was pretty and comfortable.
In my experience, I originally didn't buy VFFs for running. I bought KSOs for a general walking shoe to strengthen my foot, at the suggestion of my podiatrist who had seen marked improvement in patients with similar foot conditions to mine, when using barefooting footwear. He specifically told me NOT to run with barefooting shoes until my feet, ankles and legs built up strength from walking alone. I used KSOs for everyday footwear for about a year before starting my running in them.

I visited my podiatrist again this past summer (August, IIRC) and had x-rays taken, molds done and my walking and running gait examined... and there's marked improvement in my foot strength and structure. The arthritic buildup in my toes isn't happening anymore, muscles are firmer and stronger, and my arch has lifted slightly (I was extremely pronated/flatfooted). I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

Mileage varies per person, of course, but for me barefooting footwear is the best thing to happen to my feet and legs in a long, long time. More than orthotics have ever done.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Just try me..

Cool... good to know! (can you run in them in the cold?)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Cool... good to know! (can you run in them in the cold?)
Yes, but I won't until I get a pair of thin insulating socks. XD They're okay without, but having that light extra layer would be ideal.

They do make these for guys now, though not really for running, LOL:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...ormio-Mens.htm

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

I have both, and I have done a lot of barefoot running (though not now that it's cold and I'm way the heck north of where I grew up!).

The Good:
- VFFs allow you to develop your gait in a more natural way. That is, they seemed to improve my overall posture when I would switch to shoes in inclement weather or to race.
- They provide a different kind of workout: especially at the beginning, you will meet all kinds of muscles you didn't know you had. And they will hurt.

The Bad:
- When I ran with VFFs on pavement for a few months, I definitely felt it. During that time, I was way more susceptible to repetitive strain injuries (tendonitis, stress fractures), presumably because I don't have all that cushioning to lessen the impact on my bones and ligaments.
- I did a lot of barefoot running before I tried VFFs, and although my feet were pretty well-conditioned to rough terrain (callouses, etc), I still had a hard time with the rocky areas. I couldn't really run.
-They ripped. I hadn't taken them out a dozen times before I had holes in the toe area.
- During speed workouts, I slowed way the heck down. I could not get the workout I needed (or hit the times I needed to hit) while wearing VFFs and subsequently switched back to shoes.

I wear Saucony, but the type of shoe you should get obviously depends on your individual conformation! You might try looking for a lightweight pair of racing flats, which will by definition be minimalist without exposing your feet to uneven terrain and subjecting them to quite a long adjustment period (which, if you're like me, will drive you crazy!)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
-They ripped. I hadn't taken them out a dozen times before I had holes in the toe area.
My first pair of KSOs had several seams come undone after a couple months. I took them back to the store and they sent them in, and I was sent a brand new pair. Now I ahve 2 pairs of KSOs and no problems with them.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
My first pair of KSOs had several seams come undone after a couple months. I took them back to the store and they sent them in, and I was sent a brand new pair. Now I ahve 2 pairs of KSOs and no problems with them.
That's probably the way to go: I never bothered sending mine in. I was too busy stomping around my room complaining about it =P
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlahoops View Post
That's probably the way to go: I never bothered sending mine in. I was too busy stomping around my room complaining about it =P

I did my fair share of bitching and whining about it too
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Right now, my running shoes are Nike Darts. I've worn Nike since I was a kid so it's my tried and trusted brand.

However, I'm interested in getting a pair of VFFs solely for running. Pros? Cons? Are they painful at first?

I know there are a bunch of people on here who swear by them. Thanks!
Are you having any issues right now running? If you aren't...I wouldn't change.

For those with pain/issues, switching shoes can sometimes help, but it is a bit of a costly guessing game.

I'm a physical therapist & work with feet everyday - and everyone's feet are SO incredibly different, it is impossible to say if they will work for you or not. Now,a young, active, person with no history of pain/injuries...if using the proper precautions (already mentioned on here) for switching over...should do just fine in VFFs.

Thanks Jessie!