Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Love my pets

Default Warning about treats made in China

Hundreds of reports of sick dogs come flooding in as FDA issues warning about pet treats imported from China

Old 01-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

I can't believe this is STILL going around. Years ago, when they first started selling the dehydrated chicken treats as a big thing in the store, I was a very good pet parent in reading the ingredient label and was so happy with it! I would have never thought to look for a "Country of origin", and half way through the jumbo sized Sam's club bag, is when I finally noticed it "Product of China". I cringe every time I see a bag of Waggin Train treats is someones cart. Even worse, I was duped again a short while later by Dogswell, when I was encouraged to buy a bag of their sweet potato treats and only later found the "product of china" stamp on the bottom of the bag! I was furious! I now look at every square inch of every bag of treats before I buy them!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I've been avoiding treats from China as well.

I was so upset when someone the other day (who knows about the whole China and sick dogs thing) when she gave Cricket some of the waggin train chicken treats without asking me. I ONLY stick with treats from either the USA or Canada.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

It's so scary! I agree, I would look at them and be like "Oh, they HAVE to be healthy! It's all chicken!" and then see the Made in China stamp. Plus Waggin' Train has something about USA on the front so unless you are looking at the back of it, you'd probably just guess it's a US product.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-09-2012, 07:40 AM
love the fluff

Thats why I buy chicken breasts from the grocery and dehydrate them myself. I feel like its safer, and it fits our raw diet as well. I can't stand thinking about the fact most treats and food have ingredients from China.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Wookie Collie

Be careful - packaging can be tricky as hell. Up until a few weeks ago, we were carrying VitaLife Chicken Tenders at our store. The bag says nothing about where the product was made, but it says on the top left of the bag "Inspected at a Canadian food grading facility" or some drivel. I always knew that they weren't North American... but in a recent shipment the little silica gel packet had some sort of nondescript Asian language on it. That was enough for my boss to finally pull them due to this recall stuff.

Turns out a lot of dogs have had issues with VitaLife as well as the other China-originating treats.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I love the bags that say "Product of USA" with a big flag, and then in tiny print somewhere they say "Processed in Mexico"

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

They sell junk to big Pharma companies making drugs that are supposed to save people, yet they put junk in their to make an extra buck and end up killing people. They put junk in their baby formulas and other human food products to increase profits, what do you think they put in the pet food that we feed our animals???????
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
They sell junk to big Pharma companies making drugs that are supposed to save people, yet they put junk in their to make an extra buck and end up killing people. They put junk in their baby formulas and other human food products to increase profits, what do you think they put in the pet food that we feed our animals?????
Unicorn turds, obviously!

Also, a lot of the new Dogswell treats are now being manufactured in the United States (yay!)

Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Even worse, I was duped again a short while later by Dogswell, when I was encouraged to buy a bag of their sweet potato treats and only later found the "product of china" stamp on the bottom of the bag! I was furious! I now look at every square inch of every bag of treats before I buy them!
Sam's Yams makes dehydrated sweet potato treats that are made in the USA, Frodo LOVES them!