Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Top Dog

Default Calling all GSD people!

I'm starting to seriously look at GSD breeders. I *hope* to be ready to get a puppy by the end of this year. The question I have, is what "type" of dog is the one shown above? Is it possible to tell by the picture?

Would you recommend any breeders who are breeding for dogs of that type? That is, by far, my favorite look.

Personality wise, I've researched all of the different lines, and DDR is my favorite, but I'd be happy with anything but a Czech dog. Those seem a bit *too* intense for me.

So, any breeder recommendations? They don't have to look like the dog above, I was just posting an example of what I like, looks wise
Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

I asked a friend who is in gsds and she said that particular dog looks like a Euro show line dog. Beyond that I'm no help.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM
*Now with Snark*

I'll send you a pm.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'm not sure where you are, and I've been out of looking for breeders for so long it's not even funny, but he looks Euro show lines to me too.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Do you have any other, non-action shots of him? It is very hard to tell from these pictures but I wouldn't say he looks typical of the current German showlines. He may be a German/American cross.

If I got another GSD, it would be from: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vom-H...s/296969018132

I think there is a breeding planned out of Drama sometime this year. Valerie breeds very occasionally but every litter she's had has produced puppies who went on to do all sorts of things - SchH, Police, SAR, Service Dog, Performance and of course, companions. They really are IMO just what GSDs should be.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Do you have any other, non-action shots of him? It is very hard to tell from these pictures but I wouldn't say he looks typical of the current German showlines. He may be a German/American cross.

If I got another GSD, it would be from: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vom-H...s/296969018132

I think there is a breeding planned out of Drama sometime this year. Valerie breeds very occasionally but every litter she's had has produced puppies who went on to do all sorts of things - SchH, Police, SAR, Service Dog, Performance and of course, companions. They really are IMO just what GSDs should be.
BEAUTIFUL dogs!
*drool*

If I wanted a GSD, I would definitely be interested in them, Aleron.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Resident fainting goat

Here is a breeder I had my eye on for a while: http://wildhauskennels.com/

I love their dogs and their philosophies
Old 01-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Stafinois is has educated herself pretty well on GSDs. I will direct her here, she may be able to help.

I really, really want a GSD clone of this dogs son whom we train with.

http://www.diehlspolicek9training.com/erri.asp

I don't know a ton about the breed but this dog is pretty dang amazing.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Agility freak!

But come on, Czech lines are fuuuuun!

I was going to guess Euro Show lines, but honestly, I don't really know. I still have so much more research I need to do about lines.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

Do you train with Falon? Curious how you got these photos, anyway, if you don't know Falon I'd be happy to message her and ask about that dog's exact pedigree. Definitely thinking partially West German show lines, there are several at the club she trains at/does photography for. Agree with Aleron however that this dog does not look like typical high lines, but it is very hard to tell from those photos alone.

Would like to add that yes, Czech lines are quite "intense" but I know some people who would take a Czech dog for a pet over WGR or DDR any day. I was at one point, going between specific Czech lines and older working lines and honestly would probably have found the former easier to handle than the latter. I have known of just as many West German working line dogs known for being sharp, civil, actively aggressive, etc. as I have Czech dogs... even just read from someone with a young male going to the od Policie and z PS dogs that he thought his dog more handler soft than he'd like. Of course, these anecdotal lists of exceptions are about as useful as the generalities themselves.

Certainly not pushing you towards Czech lines, I'm actually with you in that I am not likely to be interested in an all Czech dog (although I am willing to entertain the idea). I am, however, more personally interested in Czech/DDR/WGR mixes, primarily Czech and the older, established DDR working lines. Just so happens that particular breedings/dogs that catch my eye are a combination of such lines, while most of the all Czech breedings are "missing" something I want to see. Nothing more than a personal preference, every dog is an individual and I certainly do not know enough about German Shepherds or specific lines for anything but speculation (which, as someone in the market for a puppy, I'm guilty of often).

Would you be interested in a dog with a partially Czech pedigree? My favorite litter from the breeder Fran linked (Wildhaus Kennels) was by a Czech male, Andy Maly Vah out of a West German working female. Also would second Aleron's recommendation, I am a part of a message list or two where Valerie is an active member and she has always been helpful and shown a particular dedication to her dogs and the breed.

Last edited by Equinox; 01-07-2012 at 02:31 AM.