Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
MulligansMomma MulligansMomma is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
Default Vomiting - should I be worried.

My two year old golden has vomited 6 times in the last 3 hours. First couple of times it was his food, last 4 times it's yellow bile. He's lethargic and hasn't drank any water.
When should I get really worried about him? It's afterhours so I'd have to bring him to the emerg. clinic but not sure if this is something he ate that just has to pass.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,956
Default

I'd be worried if he were my dog. Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have and could have an obstruction?
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
MulligansMomma MulligansMomma is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I'd be worried if he were my dog. Is it possible he ate something he shouldn't have and could have an obstruction?
I was with him this morning at a park and I don't think he ate anything. My husband got home at 2:00 pm and he said he seemed totally fine. They went on a walk and he def. didn't get into anything. He ate his dinner and then it came up and he's been throwing up since.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:35 PM
CharlieDog's Avatar
CharlieDog CharlieDog is offline
Rude and Not Ginger
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 9,079
Default

Could be stomach bug, could be an obstruction. I'd take him in as soon as feasible. If he starts trying to puke but can't bring anything up, I'd take him in tonight. Obstructions are dangerous, and the sooner he's seen, the better his odds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is offline
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,248
Default

The lethargy and not drinking is more worrisome than the vomiting... personally, I would vet. Can you get him to drink if you put a little chicken broth or something in with the water? Is he dehydrated? You can check for dehydration by lifting the skin on his back right over his shoulders and see if it feels elasticy and goes back down quickly - if it doesn't, he's dehydrated. I would also check his CRT - press your finger on his gums until they turn white and then count how long it takes for them to turn pink again. It usually takes about two seconds. If it takes a long time he really should go in immediately.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
MulligansMomma MulligansMomma is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
Default

I just have him water and he drank it. Good sign I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
MulligansMomma MulligansMomma is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
The lethargy and not drinking is more worrisome than the vomiting... personally, I would vet. Can you get him to drink if you put a little chicken broth or something in with the water? Is he dehydrated? You can check for dehydration by lifting the skin on his back right over his shoulders and see if it feels elasticy and goes back down quickly - if it doesn't, he's dehydrated. I would also check his CRT - press your finger on his gums until they turn white and then count how long it takes for them to turn pink again. It usually takes about two seconds. If it takes a long time he really should go in immediately.
I did the skin and gums test and not dehydrated and his gums turned pink immediately.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2012, 04:58 PM
MulligansMomma MulligansMomma is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
Default

Update: Took him to the vet and they checked his blood (some level to do with his liver slightly elevated, liver test results tomorrow), the xray showed nothing injested (the did say his splean looks large and liver looks small), he hasn't vomited in the last 12 hours and has eaten a little bit. They gave him an iv for the day, he is now home with me. He does have diarreah and there is a bit of blood in it.
So I am somewhat confused, test results show nothing but they think I will be back tomorrow????
Man oh man vets aren't cheap, this just set me back $1000.00 but I have peace of mind now....sort of.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 AM
MulligansMomma MulligansMomma is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulligansMomma View Post
Update: Took him to the vet and they checked his blood (some level to do with his liver slightly elevated, liver test results tomorrow), the xray showed nothing injested (the did say his splean looks large and liver looks small), he hasn't vomited in the last 12 hours and has eaten a little bit. They gave him an iv for the day, he is now home with me. He does have diarreah and there is a bit of blood in it.
So I am somewhat confused, test results show nothing but they think I will be back tomorrow????
Man oh man vets aren't cheap, this just set me back $1000.00 but I have peace of mind now....sort of.
I haven't slept all night, I'm worrying about Mulligan and kept my eye on him. He is completely lethargic, he has been laying down for the last 12 hours. He did get up twice, once to pee once to poo (diarreah). He did drink water this morning but would not eat the soft food the vet gave me. He actually did something weird that I have never seen him do, he dragged him nose along the floor and tried overturning the bowl with food in it. I have some diarreah meds to give him so tried putting one of the three pills in a piece of chicken breast and he would not eat it. He did end up eat an entire chicken breast, he wanted nothing to do with the rice.
I think the vet is rigth I will be back today. I am now really scared something major is going on.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 AM
poodlesmom's Avatar
poodlesmom poodlesmom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Halfmoon, NY
Posts: 1,867
Default

Sending good vibes Mulligan's way! Hopefully the vet has a solution today and he's soon on the road to recovery.
__________________
Denise a/k/a Poodlesmom
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site