Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Twin 2.0

Holy crap, I'd swear the dog on the left had a tumor or something. O_o

There's a weim at work right now who has outstanding conformation--if he was a Dobe. It's the strangest thing to watch him--the cognitive dissonance about kills me. I like a deep chest on that type of dog, but not to the point that it looks like the prow of a submarine.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Sizzle, your dogs are definitely not bad. The dobes at my work are beautiful standing but I would like a less exaggerated chest.

On the left is the most over done but several others are similar.
Wow, I have never seen anything like that! Is it quite normal to see?

My Photos
Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yeah, I feel guilty posting that because he is a really nice dog and a nice owner but I just don't like the way most of the dobes at my work have that chest. It's true though, the boys are worse than the girls.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

I don't really have anything to add to this thread since Leah already said everything I would have... but in a much more condensed way! I had a huge long jumbled story written out. But I do have some photos of my dogs sitting for you. I agree that some Dobermans have way too large and overdone chests. I don't like it either. I wish I had a picture of a dog that I knew with a huge chest. She was pretty when standing, but when she sat she had a chest that looked like it belonged to another dog.

Here is one of both from the front:

Keira:

Well, I thought I had more photos of them sitting than that. Looks like they're all mostly from the front, though. But as you can see, neither one is overdone (IMO). Keira's kind of a chest-less wonder. She hardly has any at all, though she's so fine boned and petite as it is, she'd probably look goofy with more chest. I like Ripley's though. I don't think I'd want him to have a chest any bigger than it is. The first picture is kind of deceiving in that I think he looks more moderate than how it appears in that one. I wish I had more side angles of both that would show a better example.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
F150 and a .30-06

OP: I see you are from Ontario. There are alot of good breeders there. Alot of bad ones as well. You can also look into the states that are close to you for breeders as well. It is VERY VERY easy to get a dog between Canada and the US. It is also to reg the puppy with the CKC if it is already AKC reg. Google the Doberman Pinscher Club Of Canada for info and breeders, as well as the Doberman Pinscher Club Of America. You can search by state/province and the US site has so much info on it.

I would avoid anyone who sells warlock or over sized dogs. They are BYB at best. Avoid Von Luxus in Ontario. They talk a good game, but do not sell quality dogs or give you support after the purchase.

Beware of politics. A good breeder should not bad mouth another breeder. Now, if they are clearly a mill, byb or do not health test it is a different story. There are a few breeders here in AB I would not buy a dog from, but I respect them. Their dogs are simply not my type but I have and will continue to refer people to them.

Sizzle covered basically everything. She is very knowledgeable in the breed.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 01-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Twin 2.0

FWIW: I love Jayne and Ripley's chesticles.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

that one red, that's the most exaggerated chest i've seen on a dog period, wow.
is this something that some breeders actually breed for? i've never seen it before!

i have heard of the warlocks in the past and how it's best to stay clear of them. i will keep my eye open for any that appear to be the same thing for sure. and i'll give some looks into close breeders in the states as well. if it were soon, i couldn't go myself to pick it up or visit, which would bum me out a bit (i'm still working on my residency and as of right now, i can't leave and re-enter, but if i find a good breeder i'm willing to wait).

Keira is another Chaz Dobe that i have fallen in love with. i love her frame!

perhaps i should go and grab some breed-specific books!
i've been looking through the breeders and rescues in Ontario and saving a lot of them. it'd be neat if i got a chance to meet a few of them.

thanks guys, this is helping a lot! we're both giving multiple thumbs up over here

My Polyvore
Old 01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Top Dog

I had a very Dobe like Dobe mix and really like the breed. IME with them, the boys tend to be rather dorky and yeah, most of the good obedience/performance ones I've seen were girls. It's too bad the breed has such a short life expectancy and such widespread healthy issues though

IME It's not all that uncommon to see show Dobes with really exaggerated chests. Course, you usually see them standing:

Historical photos of Dobes show a much more shallow chested dog than even the moderate Dobes one sees today. It is the same with GSDs and has always made me wonder if those earlier dogs were as prone to bloat as our modern dogs are.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

those old photos are great. thanks for posting them. i have been on a "this is what breeds used to look like" kick for a little while.

My Polyvore
Old 01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Glutton for Crazy

How are Dobe hips and knees? They often have some really extreme angles.

I liked the breed a lot but have been hooked since the flick Hugo and our friend Candice at splash dogs, her rescue dobes are AMAZING jumpers and can fly even though I heard most dobies are water-resistant . I need to talk myself out of them before they become my next dog.

I also don't know if I could tape my dogs ears for as long as it takes but I do enjoy the cropped look. Is it really as traumatic as people say? I know a lot of people who gave up because it was annoying/upsetting the dog and the owner got soft so now they have cropped floppy ears.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.