Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Mini Aussies

Does anyone here have first hand experience with mini aussies? I'd love to hear anything and everything about them as I'm pretty sure they're the breed I'm going to go with for my first dog I've done some research on them but reading breed standards and the like is nowhere near as informative as hearing real first hand accounts.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 PM
I'm All Ears

I've met some great minis and then some that are not so great. I know that can be said about any breed but I think since they are such a new creation and a lot of people are breeding them in all different ways then there is just a ton of variety.

The best ones were very drivey and fun little dogs and I'd totally snatch them.

Then I've met some that were obviously crossed to shelties, poms, chis, or papillons. The other end of the spectrum was a 'mini aussie' breeder that bred dogs that were easily 50-60 lbs and driveless and looked like aussie x retrievers.

My biggest suggestion would be to be breeder aware and make sure you're getting the real deal.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

My experience with them has been similar to Laurelin's. I like most that I've been around but definitely, some are obvious mixes. The good ones really are just like good Aussies - smart, drivey, bouncey and fun, active dogs Look for a breeder who health tests and does stuff (competes in something, preferably in some sort of performance or "work" related venue as well as conformation) or actually uses their dogs for work.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for the input guys! Smart, drivey, and fun is what I'm looking for in a dog, so it's good to hear that fits these guys! I've seen the obvious mixed type you guys mentioned and I'm staying far far away from those. The ones that I've seen that look like that are typically labelled as toy and I don't want to go that small anyways.

The breeder I'm currently looking into health tests and does rally, obedience, and agility with her dogs as well as confirmation. Plus the good majority of her dogs have their CGCs Not bad for a breeder who I found through my paper's classified ads
Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Hits the Mark

not being rude - but there is no such thing as a mini aussie. it's a designer dog that utilizes the look of an australian shepherd which only comes in one standard size. personally i am against mini aussies - but that's just my honest opinion and thus why i am so snarky about it. i'm curious as to why you don't want a real Australian Shepherd?

Rachel McWhirter
WetPaint Productions

Chek Out Aero's YouTube Page!

The Fetching Merle Blog

Add Me on DogDayzz! ID:Rachel #13971
Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

The ASCA doesn't agree with mini aussies. So neither do dog breeders that follow their guidelines, which is most good breeders I believe. (and regardless MOST/all good aussie breeders don't agree with the mini thing either)

So my biggest question is, where are these mini aussie breeders getting their breeding stock?
That is where my biggest issue is.. more-so than changing a breed just to suit people is that you could end up with a puppy whose parents are not even the best that breed can produce BY FAR
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailenAero View Post
not being rude - but there is no such thing as a mini aussie. it's a designer dog that utilizes the look of an australian shepherd which only comes in one standard size. personally i am against mini aussies - but that's just my honest opinion and thus why i am so snarky about it. i'm curious as to why you don't want a real Australian Shepherd?
Some respected registries seem to disagree with you

My guess as to why the poster wants a Mini Aussie (now accepted into AKC's FSS program as Miniature American Shepherds) as opposed to an Aussie is they want an Aussie type temperament in a smaller package. That's why I would get a Mini instead of an Aussie anyway.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Some respected registries seem to disagree with you

My guess as to why the poster wants a Mini Aussie (now accepted into AKC's FSS program as Miniature American Shepherds) as opposed to an Aussie is they want an Aussie type temperament in a smaller package. That's why I would get a Mini instead of an Aussie anyway.

If they are accepted by the AKC for FSS as a Mini American Shepherd, that makes them a totally different breed, so really they are NOT mini Aussies.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailenAero View Post
I'm not going for the full sized version because I'll be renting, and most places around here that allow dogs have weight limits in place. Or if they don't have a set pet policy, it would be much easier to negotiate one with a dog on the smaller side. I still want a dog that can do it all though, as I want to play around in agility, rally, flyball, and maybe even herding. I was considering Papillons, but I don't want to go quite that small.

As long as the breeder is reputable, (health tests, and does something aside from just confirmation with their dogs), I don't have a problem with 'designer dogs.'
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
So my biggest question is, where are these mini aussie breeders getting their breeding stock?
That is where my biggest issue is.. more-so than changing a breed just to suit people is that you could end up with a puppy whose parents are not even the best that breed can produce BY FAR
Mini Aussies are as old as the normal aussie... you can find references to breeding them in the late 50's and pictures of smaller size aussies back to the foundation of the breed as a motley breeding of sheep herding mutts around WW1. They are also not uncommon, at least here there are loads of breeders probably more than the larger size - you will find as much variation in them as the larger versions. It also means that there really isn't a lack of a gene pool to work from. Since the Aussie itself didn't join AKC until 1980 and didn't even have a set standard until 76' I think you can decide which "breed" is real and not real.

I've always been of the opinion there are loads of breeds with different sizes that are uncontroversial. I just see the smaller version hate in the mini aussie case being a case of sour grapes.