Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Some Cricket puppy pics because I'm mean and like to torture people

Love this pic

Demanding that wink play with her lol

Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Getting a little bigger
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM
ಥ⌣ಥ

clearly i've been away too long!

i've got some learning to do about this little pariah. don't be surprised if (WHEN) i come back and poke at you guys about where you got your mexidogs and how you found them/came to the conclusion to get them! Cricket and Talla are ADORABLE beyond words.

My Polyvore
Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Lord Cynical

Some Talla photos from tonight - SUPER cute!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Are you dead yet?

I love Cricket and Talla!

As far as street dogs being good sport dogs, it depends on the individual. Most of them are built for it and have the intelligence and trainability to do most sports, but some don't have the edge to be flyball champions or super speedy agility stars. Honestly getting an older dog for sports is a good idea if you are getting a previously owned shelter dog, but with street dogs if you get an older dog, there's a **** good chance the dog's not going to have the proper socialization under its belt in order to make the change from street dog to sport dog. Most street dogs aren't treated very well by most of the people they encounter, and they learn to defend themselves against other dogs and prey on small animals. I would advise against a more mature street dog for a sport prospect, though they can make superb pets!

They're all individuals, despite having a common tendency towards cleverness and problem solving. For example, Talla was way more drivey, tuggy and fearless than Cricket was at the same age. They were both affectionate, friendly, confident puppies, but one was a complete land shark and the other a bit more stoic.

They are not a "breed" with a set in stone temperament defining them, so you get quite the variety. You also get quite the variety of ears, coats, colors and tails. What you usually do get set in stone is medium size (between 30-50lbs), tough feet, moderate and balanced structure, a strong jaw with a good scissor bite, and full dentition. They are usually relatively light in bone and built for a combination of speed and endurance.

They are territorial. All dogs are territorial, but Mexidogs are territorial enough for it to need mentioning. It's certainly less noticeable in females and in puppies that never lived on the street, but they are protective of their home and their people.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Just try me..

Grace, could someone get an older puppy, say 6 months or a bit older with no issues? I don't think someone would need an adult to have a good idea, but an older puppy would be safer.

Even of purebreds not all dogs are good at dog sports. This is why when dog sport people get puppies they pick ones from lines that are known for their talent in what the person is looking for. Going the rescue shelter route is safe because you can test for drive. (though some dogs will become good with enough time and training that you wouldn't expect)

Cricket and Talla look lovely and there is no structural reason they wouldn't be good at dog sports, but IME temperament and drive is a bigger factor.

Was Wink a street dog? (I love that pic of Cricket grabbing Wink.. one of the best pics evar)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

I have been fascinated with pariah type dogs for years. I have done a lot of reading on Carolina Dogs and they seem sooo cool! My hesitation with seriously looking into them was always that while I like the more primitive type herding breeds, I'm not sure about primitive type dogs without the herding part in terms of trainability, drive and human orientation. I love sighthounds but have found there is a huge difference between trainability and human orientation between the more primitive and more "developed" ones. So I guess a question I have with Mexi-dogs is, just how primitive are they behavior wise? The Carolina Dogs tend to have a lot of primitive behavioral traits.

I would think if you are getting a street dog from anywhere with the hopes of doing sports with them, the younger the better. I would think 6 months is way too old, as they are half grown by then. By then they have spent their most important socialization periods learning survival and not important skills for working with humans. I have no experience with street dogs. Still, I wouldn't even take a puppy from a breeder at 6 months old unless I knew they did a ton of socialization and foundation work with them. I would need to know the puppy was raised in a way that encouraged them to be highly trainable, oriented towards humans and socialized enough not to be weird about new situations. IME with dogs in general, dogs who aren't interacted with in a certain way as puppies just don't mentally develop the same way as dogs who have a lot of interaction, training and socialization from a young age. I would think that is especially true of dogs born and raised on the street.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Just try me..

I don't think Amber got Cricket till she was older... I am not saying take the dog off the street at that age. Just look into rescuing one at that age so you can gauge drive etc. Same as going to a shelter. You can tell at 6 months if the dog is happy go lucky or not (regardless of socialization). A stable dog will still be a stable dog even with out socialization.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I have been fascinated with pariah type dogs for years. I have done a lot of reading on Carolina Dogs and they seem sooo cool! My hesitation with seriously looking into them was always that while I like the more primitive type herding breeds, I'm not sure about primitive type dogs without the herding part in terms of trainability, drive and human orientation. I love sighthounds but have found there is a huge difference between trainability and human orientation between the more primitive and more "developed" ones. So I guess a question I have with Mexi-dogs is, just how primitive are they behavior wise? The Carolina Dogs tend to have a lot of primitive behavioral traits.
Clearly you need a Kim

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Resident fainting goat

Sorry if this is going off topic, but in Haiti, we have "Ti' Chien Jaune" which literal translation is: "Little yellow dog"

and I've noticed MANY similarities between them and little Talla and cricket as well!

I have some pictures:

I just think it's interesting how common traits seem to even out in strays in similar environments

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.