Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default Mexidogs

So I know a few people on here have these awesome little dogs.

What can yall tell me about them?
Temperament, living style, size, versatility, train ability, etc.

I know all of that varies from dog to dog seeing as how they aren't really a breed (unless I haven't been looking hard enough and they are lol).

And feel free to post pictures
Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Lord Cynical

Hopefully Skittledoo sees this, since she has an adult.

Here's somewhat of a "standard" I wrote up for my blog, based on what I've seen and what RD has told me about them:

Quote:
A medium sized, short coated, slender dog with long legs, a curved tail and prick (or semi-prick) ears. Average weight is 35-55lbs. The head is dry and wedge shaped, with dark brown or black eyes. Body shape is reminiscent of a sighthound, with decent ribspring, depth of chest and a defined tuck-up. Front legs turn neither in nor out, and the legs are long and refined - yet strong. Front is well angulated, and pasterns are only slightly let down. Rear is moderately angulated with sufficient turn of stifle. Topline is level, and the croup is slightly rounded. Coat is short but surprisingly dense, with slightly longer coats less common. Feet are oval shaped, with well arched toes. Many have functional fifth toes on their rear feet, which resemble dewclaws but are actually extra toes - complete with pads and normally-sized & fully developed carpal bones. The most common color is tawny-gold with a black mask and white toes, but other colors (such as black, sable, tricolor, and brindle, all with or without white toes and chest stars) are seen.

Temperament is social, intelligent and biddable, but somewhat intense. They are active and athletic, but have definite "off switches" as adults. Belligerence towards other dogs is rare - this is a type that usually gets along well with other animals. They are decent watchdogs, but not a true guardian breed. They generally do not bark unless there is reason for them to do so.

If raised away from the streets, they are generally quite healthy and hardy. The weak, the unsound and the sick rarely live long enough on the streets to pass on their genes.
Talla is definitely a high-octane little puppy. However, she learned to alter her craziness to adapt in my house. I'll admit, she thought every grumble from the other dogs was a threat against her life so she overreacted a bit, but now she knows they don't want to kill her and is just fine now.

She's crazy smart. She's the kind of dog that you can teach her something and she's got a good idea of what's expected of her in a matter of minutes.... and it sticks. I can teach her something, not work with her on it for a week, and go back to it and she remembers everything. (Granted, she's also a puppy sponge so this might bot be unique.)

Also, she was not exactly the prettiest puppy:

But that changed real fast....

The day she got off the plane - bounced back from her long journey in a matter of minutes.

(more pictures coming up!)

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

they are another pariah type dog. should be hardy & quick.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Kotah BEAR

Sizzle - Talla is beautiful!
She sounds perfect, just like Cricket. I love that they come in different colors to. I have a soft spot for fawn type coats.

They sound like an ideal dog for a lot of type of people.

Do you think Mexidogs would be good in agility? I know you say they learn things fast and Talla remembers them for days, so I know they would be good in obedience.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Lord Cynical

Home in Iowa...

Old 01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Just try me..

they are a type not a breed (their genetic diversity is bound to be quite high, more like a mix than a purebred). So sure some will be good agility dogs, but not all. The best bet would be to find a puppy that could be accessed by someone. Otherwise its not much different than going to a shelter and getting an athletic looking mix.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
they are a type not a breed (their genetic diversity is bound to be quite high, more like a mix than a purebred). So sure some will be good agility dogs, but not all. The best bet would be to find a puppy that could be accessed by someone. Otherwise its not much different than going to a shelter and getting an athletic looking mix.
Thank you

And Talla is getting big, already.
And that spaniel in the pic with her is gorgeous!
Old 01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
Sizzle - Talla is beautiful!
She sounds perfect, just like Cricket. I love that they come in different colors to. I have a soft spot for fawn type coats.

They sound like an ideal dog for a lot of type of people.

Do you think Mexidogs would be good in agility? I know you say they learn things fast and Talla remembers them for days, so I know they would be good in obedience.
I believe so - I know Skittle is doing Agility with Cricket and she's doing pretty well.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

Are Talla's ears braced?
The person I work for has a multi-generation type mix but not from Mexico. He's smart, trainable but fairly independent too. I'm not sure if/how the Mexi-dogs differ from other mutli-generation mixes
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Are Talla's ears braced?
The person I work for has a multi-generation type mix but not from Mexico. He's smart, trainable but fairly independent too. I'm not sure if/how the Mexi-dogs differ from other mutli-generation mixes
They have breathe-right strips in her ears - they wanted to stand so we're giving her a bit of help. One ear doesn't need a strip anymore and it's up, just waiting for the other one.