Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-19-2011, 08:18 PM
orange iguanas.

It was when I started joining forums... there was probably not one particular situation that made me re-think my dog's diet, but the more topics I read regarding brands of food, the more it started to click.

We fed Molly Nutro Natural Choice her entire life... which is by no means the worst we could have done. I know for sure that I was a little more "nutrition savvy" about the time we got Lucy, because her breeder sent us home with some Iams and I immediately chucked it in the trash when we got home. My friend had given me a bunch of samples of Innova and California Natural, and I knew those were good brands. So this would've been almost 6 years ago.

It all came together when I finally convinced my mom to let me switch our cat's food.... I switched him from Iams, to California Natural. We saw a change for the better and that's when I was fully on board with paying attention to what I feed my pets.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 12-19-2011, 09:19 PM
woof!

Wow interesting stories keep them coming!

Nice to hear some members have never used a garbage brand, lucky dogs.

Sometimes I feel really bad and guilty for what Oso had to eat, but the real ones who are to blame are the dog food factories, who don't care at all for the heath of our beloved pets and only care about the money.

And they used a lot of monet to brainwash people wit agressive propaganda and sponsorship.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Felurian

I've always been a label reader and what I was reading just did NOT seem right. When I got Bimmer I started looking for something better, and then, when studying up on Filas before getting Buffy, I really started digging after reading some of the admonishments of some of the breeders on their sites.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Mainly it was before I got Teagan. I always fed her a high quality kibble with the intention of feeding her raw. It took me about 2 years to actually feel comfortable to start feeding her the raw and its actually not as hard or as complicated as it looks, especially for a 16lb dog.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

I really have never fed any of our dogs crap dog food...we've always sort of known better. Even with our first dog, we wanted to feed the best food available, not grocery brands.

I've been researching dogs and their care since I was like 6 years old. Our first 2 dogs were fed Royal Canin (they're in London, England) and at that time, Royal Canin was pretty much literally the best there was in England. Orijen and Acana didn't get imported there until about 2 or 3 years ago and none of the American brands like TOTW, Wellness, Innova, Solid Gold, Go! exist there. But once Orijen and Acana was imported, we immediately started feeding that.

Nia was always on good quality kibble. The worst one she's had was Royal Canin and that was because her breeder feeds that brand.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I've never really fed a "bad food."

Our first dog (who is in a different home now) came to us on Dog Chow- which we knew was bad since it was a grocery store food (and the name just sounded cheap!). I put him onto Eukanuba since my parents' fed that to their dogs.

We didn't even finish the bag before I researched foods and switched to Nutro. After that, we switched to Innova.

I've fed 10-15 different foods over the past 6 years... but everyone is on raw now which they will be on indefinately.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Resident fainting goat

This forum actually! More-so than the information being thrown at me, I SAW the results in other peoples dogs here. The shiny coats, the teeth, etc..etc..

and just like that I was sold!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Chaz. I was 14 and feeding Iams. Millie always did so much better on Iams than Pedigree (which is what who we were living with at the time bought for the dogs sometimes), so I actually felt like I was feeding a good brand.
I thought about her coat and how much better it looked on Iams, but after reading on here I started on Canidae, which was like night and day. After the problems with Canidae I started feeding EVO and once again that wonderful change came. Since then I've been aiming for grain free kibble and supplemental raw.

What Chaz taught me at the beginning was the good brands, and then I learned to read an ingredient label myself.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Dafuq?

I was actually a teenager when our veterinarian suggested we get off the plain-label crap and on to Iams, which wasn't quite the worthless label it is now. We saw enough improvement to continue on that food, and to look into even better ones. I kept it going when I got my first adult dog, and have since blossomed into full-on dog food geek-dom. I soak up any information that's dog food related these days.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Backward_Cinderella

I have to thank Chazhound and all the amazing and knowledgeable people here who (without knowing it because I was lurking for a long time before I joined) educated me on the evalz of the icky foodz.