Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Twin 2.0

I was thinking your list sounded pretty Aussie as well. You can find lines with more moderate coats than others, so you can stack the deck as much as is possible as far as easy coat care goes. They are/should be pretty wash n' wear anyway, but the amount of shedding/undercoat will vary by dog/line.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
-could at least be trained not to bother the birds
We have chickens and Logan's favorite passtime is staring at them. No barking, to lunging, just watching. And the chickens go up to the fence and watch him, too. It's adorable lol.

Aside from your requirement for not being barky, and your husband's requirement of not loving every stranger, a smooth collie would be an excellent fit. However, Logan knows that although he LOVES everyone, he is not allowed to solicit attention, and ignores people when we're out somewhere. Given permission to socialize, he's all over everyone lol. You can also train the barkiness out, though it takes a lot of work. As long as Logan gets a good amount of exercise or other stimulation (even riding in the car for a couple hours) he's quiet and calm. If he's stuck in the house all day he does get a little barky.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Minus the grooming, the dog described in your OP sounds exactly like a Jack lol. Although I don't think he's 100% typical of any breed, so that probably doesn't help you!

And as for the grooming, I clip him down every 6-8 weeks, quickly run a brush through him every couple days, and pretty much just leave him be the rest of the time. There is minimal to no shedding, and he doesn't really tangle or mat, either.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

I'm thinking Australian Shepherd?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Felurian

Aussie came to mind for me, too.

O'Reilly was totally wash and wear. He'd get so muddy I'd swear I was going to have to spend the next week cleaning him up, but he'd dry off and miraculously be spotless. Never seen anything like it! His coat was easy to keep up, too, just normal brushing and he was fine.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Active Pup

Most of the Pointers that Iíve had have been quite active. Out of the suggestions I think the golden retriever is good for you and I kind of like collies too. An Aussie or Brittany may also work. I suggest looking at the dogís individual temperament and personality. I have seen very calm pointers and off the wall crazy Goldens. Breed traits give us an idea of what we are getting, but we need to look at the individual dog to make the final decision.