Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-16-2011, 09:44 PM
*Now with Snark*

I don't usually recommend papillons for kids. There is a certain level of error that is allowed with larger/heavier boned breeds of dogs that just doesn't work with a papillon. Kids are clumsy, kids do things without thinking through all the consequences, and I've seen too many pet papillons pay the more severe price of that thinking than a dog of heavier bone would.

That said with the right family where the parents were doing 90% of the dog raising I don't see it being a problem having the kid handle. I just don't see them as a kid's dog.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 PM
I'm All Ears

The only reason I would suggest one is that they said the kid was dog savvy. We've had toy breeds since Josie was really young and she's always been very gentle. But she's a gentle, calm kid too.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Keegan's mom had never been around kids until she was an adult. The instant she saw toddler Aurelia she melted into a puddle of goo and was like, "I LOOOOVE it and I don't know why! But I LOOOOOVE it!"
I can imagine that.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:57 AM
Top Dog

Logan loves kids but Gavroche ADORES them. He falls all over himself to see a kid (or a statue of a kid lol). I've heard that's true of many boxers. A female of either a boxer or collie could easily be in the 50-pound range (boxers maybe even the 40-lb range for a small female). Logan's sister Gala is pretty small, but I don't know how much she weighs...then again compared to Logan ALL the other collies were small lol.

Gavroche is very small for a male boxer at 54 pounds. I've seen multiple females at 40-45 pounds. He's 22" tall, but again, I've seen many shorter than he is. His coat is the easiest thing in the world to take care of. He's a lovable mush but is also very, very eager and willing to learn with a good amount of drive (now that he's not living under a blanket like last year). He's a little overbearing with my nephew, but my nephew is NOT dog savvy in any way shape or form. I would have been THRILLED with Gavorche when I was a kid.

Boxers are also pretty rough-and-tumble and hard to break.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Logan loves kids but Gavroche ADORES them. He falls all over himself to see a kid (or a statue of a kid lol). I've heard that's true of many boxers. A female of either a boxer or collie could easily be in the 50-pound range (boxers maybe even the 40-lb range for a small female). Logan's sister Gala is pretty small, but I don't know how much she weighs...then again compared to Logan ALL the other collies were small lol.

Gavroche is very small for a male boxer at 54 pounds. I've seen multiple females at 40-45 pounds. He's 22" tall, but again, I've seen many shorter than he is. His coat is the easiest thing in the world to take care of. He's a lovable mush but is also very, very eager and willing to learn with a good amount of drive (now that he's not living under a blanket like last year). He's a little overbearing with my nephew, but my nephew is NOT dog savvy in any way shape or form. I would have been THRILLED with Gavorche when I was a kid.

Boxers are also pretty rough-and-tumble and hard to break.
I have a boxer mutt, and with him its true too - he ADORES kids.

Everything you say is very true IME boxers, BUT.... Around here, all I see are BYB boxers who while they're terrific with the kids are super reactive around other dogs and will escalate (not something I'd want a kid to have to deal with), then on top of that, they drop like flies after about 3 years of various genetic joint issues, cancer, heart issues.... Its just sad. You'd have to be super savvy in your breeder search, that's for sure. Then there's still the reactivity issue.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 12-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
The only reason I would suggest one is that they said the kid was dog savvy. We've had toy breeds since Josie was really young and she's always been very gentle. But she's a gentle, calm kid too.
I agree - it depends on a lot on the kid. And a 10 year old is certainly old enough to understand the dog isn't a toy.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 PM
cRaZy AbOuT DOGS

miniature poodle. I had mine as a kid. Great with kids. They are not as fragile. They are sturdy Intelligent. My Melon was perfect in this department. sure are awesome at working with you.

A couple of Dock Divers live here.
Small & WhiteFluffy, but beware, Mighty and Athletic.
Require the time from the master to keep them busy!

Mighty Maltese YouTube Channel

Old 12-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Professional Nerd

OK, the fictional family is us in about 6 years. So, the child's prior dog experience has been with an AmStaf and a working bred Malinois. I was curious as to what people would suggest.

By the time Syd is old enough to show in 4H, Grant will be gone. The next dog that I'm getting will be for me, and will probably be too much dog for a little girl to show. Besides with the rules, my dog will likely have enough training and titles by then that if she were to show, she would have to be in the advanced classes with the teenagers.

I said small both because the dog would be for a little girl, and because my husband wants to get down to a one dog household. I doubt I could get him to go for another big dog, but I might be able to talk him into a little dog for his baby's 4H project. Ha!

High on the list are Bostons and Papillons, but the Paps have more fur than I want. It's not too poofy of a coat, though, so they haven't been written off entirely.

I wonder how Brussels Griffons are? A smooth red was one of the few dogs that made my husband remark on its cuteness without being prompted.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM
*Now with Snark*

My ex had brussels - I really wouldn't suggest bostons or papillons for kids. If I can make a suggestion it would be to get a working line teckel - it'll appeal to your more working dog nature and be an easily sturdy 4Hable dog.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
My ex had brussels - I really wouldn't suggest bostons or papillons for kids. If I can make a suggestion it would be to get a working line teckel - it'll appeal to your more working dog nature and be an easily sturdy 4Hable dog.

A Dachshund is definitely not something I want. I'm not so sure they are a good choice for obedience dogs. And, I've never heard anybody says that Bostons aren't good dogs for kids. May I ask why?

Keep in mind that we aren't going to hand a random little kid a dog and let her have at it. This is a child that has been raised by a parent that actually knows what they were doing. To be bluntly honest, she's 4yo now and I feel confidant that she wouldn't break a little dog. At 10 I would bet that she will be even more conscientious. Remember, not everybody is an idiot.