Dehidrated Raw

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Has anyone used it before?

I believe you just add water to it??

I'm thinking the dehidrated raw might be a good option when Tyler and I go on weekend backpacking hikes. Since its light. Bringing PMR just seems inpractical, heavy and slightly risky as Im sure it will add to the attracking wildlife factor and of course you have to keep it cold.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I've used Stella and Chewie's before. It doesn't rehydrate very well, unless you break it into little pieces and let it soak over night. I feel like it would work better if it was a powder, like THK.

That said, most dogs are gonna drink up whatever water the patty has been sitting in, so it's really the same effect, in the end.

As for the dogs, neither of mine has ever had any digestive upset from eating dehydrated vs. fresh raw. Seems to go down fine.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I use Grandma Lucy's Artisan and Honest Kitchen all the time. I get them both at cost so it's reasonable, at mark up I would have more trouble rationalizing it.

Dehydrated Raw such as Stella and Chewy, nope, not here, but I doubt it's that much different.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
None of mine mill touch THK and neither will any of my friends dogs.

They will eat Addiction though.

We take it on road trips and hiking/camping and also have it in our emergency kit. Super light doesn't take up much space.

Dekka

Just try me..
We took THK on our trip. The JRTs eat anything and they ate the fish one ok, Smudge said it was a bit icky. They all loved the chicken one.

If I had more money I would buy it for Bounce, its the ONLY food she gets excited about.

kady05

I've used Sojo's Complete formula before. My dogs LOVED it. That's probably what I'll use when I travel to shows with Sako since all you do is add water.

Toller_08

I work in a natural pet food store and a lot of the hikers, campers and backpackers who normally feed raw will buy NRG dehydrated food to feed during those occassions because it's easier. I knew a fawn Doberman who was raised on dehydrated food her whole life and it worked very, very well for her.

dignity

Pyr Pressure
My dogs have been on Honest Kitchen before - they did really well on it!! To make it, add warm water, let it sit around 10 minutes and then feed.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Never used dehydrated raw myself, but we have a few very happy customers on THK, as well as Sojo's and NRG Maxim. Prices here are comparable to Orijen in terms of how much prepared food you get per box.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
yep... Rain was raised on THK embark until 12 weeks. She did really well on it. The $$ is the only reason I switched off of it.

I may give NRG a go if I decide to breed pups again.

Just add water. I have never had a dog have a gastric blowout on the stuff either raw fed or kibble so it is a nice go between.

Dekka

Just try me..
Never used dehydrated raw myself, but we have a few very happy customers on THK, as well as Sojo's and NRG Maxim. Prices here are comparable to Orijen in terms of how much prepared food you get per box.
That is what I thought, though I had to feed a fair bit more to all three dogs than the box would have you believe. They lost a lot of weight in the beginning. Being fed more food was a HUGE plus in Dekka's book.

AND Dekka didn't puke it up the way she does with kibble. (for those who don't know my dog.. she pukes up kibble, all kibble. Grainy kibble worse though. If she gets any more than a tablespoon at a time)

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Thanks guys, so its sounds like I have a good alternative when hiking. The only concer would be if snarky pants Teagan will eat it. Im ok with starving her until she eats it though haha. Plus Im sure doing a nice long hike with create a BIG appetite.

I've used Sojos and Honest Kitchen for Missy, just for a change-up in her normal meals - I originally bought them for Jack (since he'll only eat soft foods), but he wouldn't touch them.

I've also used Stella & Chewy's and Nature's Variety Instinct freeze-dried - they both love them! I don't use it for meals, but I do stuff their Kongs with it.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
That is what I thought, though I had to feed a fair bit more to all three dogs than the box would have you believe. They lost a lot of weight in the beginning. Being fed more food was a HUGE plus in Dekka's book.

AND Dekka didn't puke it up the way she does with kibble. (for those who don't know my dog.. she pukes up kibble, all kibble. Grainy kibble worse though. If she gets any more than a tablespoon at a time)
One of our customers mentioned that as well. She had to feed a whole cup more of THK. I haven't heard anything about the other two - NRG is more similar in consistency to a kibble than a powdery type like THK, no idea if that might make a difference in terms of content.

monkeys23

If its only for backpacking I don't see why not!

I've used both THK (grain free) and S&C (freeze dried patty samples, frozen patties on sale, and their treats). THK was not awesome as a sole diet (with added organ meat and rmb's even) for Lily, but it causes zero upset if randomly thrown into the pmr mix as a substitute meal.

I like S&C's better because it has organ meat in it. Dogs go ape for it. Since Teagan is small I'd probably go with that if I were you. :)

Members online

No members online now.