Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Default Fear periods?

I know puppies go through fear periods, but what are the chances a 14-month-old would still be going through them?

Keegan's always been vocal, but the past couple of days his barking has reached a WHOLE NEW level. Today he was barking at the MICROWAVE. Which he sees me use EVERYDAY.

Or maybe he's just a crazy adolescent? I can't really think of anything else that's changed lately - exercise, training, etc. - that might possibly cause him to bark at EVERYTHING. Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:49 PM
*Now with Snark*

Fear periods can occur up to 24 months old depending on the chart you look at so yep... totally possible.

The main thing to watch out for is dogs that just don't get over it or go into basket case avoidance.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

Could have been spooked by something as well. Tucker's always on edge for a few days after the UPS man comes

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

What breed is Keegan again? Are you sure he's afraid of the microwave? Could it not be an "off shoot" of the herding instinct? I've seen dogs...my sister's is a good example where the herding instinct, I truly believe has gone hay-wire. Her sheltie barks and gets all worked up with every appliance, the ice maker, microwave, toaster, printer, hair dryer, on and on. Its so extremely excessive that he's developed a back-chaining situation where the things that precede working the ice maker (for instance)...like getting a glass out of the cupboard, getting the loaf of bread before putting it in the toaster etc trigger him to get all excitable and barking wildly. Its sprouted from mildly annoying to down right enough to make a horse leave its oats. I told her how to work the problem...things to do to break up those chains of behavior and some other tips to habituate him to these things and associate them with calmness, but she never does anything she's told. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

Logan definitely had a fear period around that age. He's now 2 1/2 and there's really NOTHING he's afraid of now.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
What breed is Keegan again? Are you sure he's afraid of the microwave?
Smooth collie, and yes, it was fear-barking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Logan definitely had a fear period around that age. He's now 2 1/2 and there's really NOTHING he's afraid of now.
Yay!

He's still being extra vocal today. I was going to take him to get pictures with Santa, but decided against it. His past fear periods haven't lasted too long, hopefully next weekend we can visit Santa.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Oh poor boy. Yeah, I do remember little things that would pop up from time to time that scared my puppies, even when I thought they were all "growed." I'm sure this will pass.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson