Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Default School! HELP! (Advice? Slap to the face? ANYTHING?!)

OK so.... long story

I graduated high school in 2008. In 2009, I graduated from College with a General Health Science certificate. In September of 2009, I started Veterinary Technician program. Around that time, it was discovered my grandmother had cancer. Around December of 2009, right before final exams for the semester, we found out my grandmother would soon die from cancer, and she was to stay in the hospital until we could get her into hospice care facility. Stress happens, I decided I would take the next semester off to spend as much time with my Grandmother as I could. February 2010, my grandmother passed away. The plan was to go back to school in January of 2011 (since I had all the credits for the first semester).

That didn't happen. New plan was to go in May 2011 for Veterinary Assistant. Didn't happen, due to financial aid issues. NEW plan was to go back to school in May 2012, for Veterinary Assistant.

Then last night happened. For whatever reason, I was looking around the college site. When it comes down to it, I am very much NOT a science person. I cannot sit there and memorize life stages and how long, and medication for all the parasites animals can get. I cannot look under a microscope and be able to tell exactly what kind of parasitic egg the egg is. I had to do it first semester, and I wanted to blow my brains out. NO idea how I passed.

I am, however, VERY good at math. I always have been. I can sit there and memorize numbers and formulas and how to get to numbers and so on and so forth. I have done accounting for a friend's business, and I am currently the treasurer for the local ferret rescue.

It has always been in the back of my mind that I would want to do something math related as a career. I think I just got caught up in the "oh cute animals!" thing.

So I thought about it... and I decided I'm going to go back to school. Next month. For Accounting. Technically, I'm going to do it online, and just do like, one class starting next month to make sure it is what I want to do.

Essentially, with the course I am taking, I will be able to work in any size business, and government. Thinking about it, I think it would be better for me because, well, the money is better. And there are more career opportunities. In the long run, I could always attach it to working with animals, like working in a vet clinic as the accountant. But... I honestly think I would be alright just doing the volunteer work with animals that I do now.

I talked with the boyfriend about it last night... and he essentially agreed that it sounds like it would be a better fit for me, and that he would support whatever I choose, etc and so forth.

But I've said I wanted to work with animals since I was 5. I honestly feel no rush or motivation to go back for vet assistant, at the moment. I don't know... I guess I'm selling myself short if I DON'T go for vet assistant, cause it's what I always said I wanted? I don't want to let other people down.

ARGH. Slap me? Tell me I'm being stupid? I should know wtf I want to do by now... I really should

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 AM
and Spy.

The GREAT thing about going through school, particularly post secondary, is that you learn what you like and don't like. I went into uni thinking I was going to be a teacher or a geographer. Took a few courses and went nah. I then thought maybe linguistics, so I took an intro course. Dear god, never again lol.

What I am getting at is that finding out what you want to do is part of the process of school You seem to have found a direction that you think will really work for you, so I think you should go for it! Like you said, you can totally tie that into a job that is animal-related.

When I was little, I really really wanted to be a dog trainer lol. I then realized that although I would enjoy aspects of it, the pay really isn't anything to get excited about. In fact, all the trainers I talked to said that they can't rely only on that job for their income and need something supplemental on the side. So, I decided that fine, I probably wont get a job working with animals. However, I will be making enough money (hopefully) to pursue my animal interests and hobbies comfortably I may even also own my own business one day and can bring my dog to work.

Anyway, changing directions in post-secondary is really, really common and totally ok. Be happy you found what you really want to do! I am still surfing classes trying to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:16 AM
orange iguanas.

Well think about it - you never really wanted to be a vet tech/assistant if the things they do (looking under a microscope for example, lol) are things you don't enjoy or want to do. Sure, you may have liked the IDEA of being one.
But don't fault yourself, or let others fault you for deciding it might not be the path you want to take. If you're going to take the time to go to school and find a career, it might as well be something you're going to be interested in.

And it's better that you realize that before going through the entire program.

You can always do animal stuff as a hobby. Stay involved without actually having it be your career.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Top Dog

I had wanted to be a vet since I could talk, but I am just not good with chemistry and math. There was no way in hell I would make it into vet school. Turns out it was a good thing because I really don't think I could handle putting animals to sleep day in day out.

If you feel this is a better match, then go for it!! We all change from our 5 year old selves! Well...most of us anyway.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Think it over, but if Accounting is what makes you happy . . . then become an accountant! You can still work with animals as a volunteer . . . and CPAs make good money and are frankly some of the few people who have no problem getting jobs right now.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
But I've said I wanted to work with animals since I was 5. I honestly feel no rush or motivation to go back for vet assistant, at the moment. I don't know... I guess I'm selling myself short if I DON'T go for vet assistant, cause it's what I always said I wanted? I don't want to let other people down.
*smacksyou* You're allowed to change your mind! In fact, you can change your mind as many times as you want. What you definitely should not do (and I say this from experience lol) is let your family choose your direction for you. It's YOUR life, do what YOU want to do - and if what you want/need to do is figure that out don't feel guilty about it.

As for knowing what you want to do....eh. I don't think most people know what they want to do. They just do something and if they don't hate it they tend to stick with it. I've very rarely seen those people that OMGLOVE their jobs. I compensate for the fact that I don't love my job with hobbies. Lots and lots of hobbies.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Chihuahua Power!

If you have any questions about accounting, I'm sure Ian wouldn't mind chatting about it! He has his degree in accounting and just passed the CPA exam He's been working in the field for 5 years and is a Senior Auditor. There's definitey not a shortage with the need for accountants so it's definitely a good field to enter

But yeah, I totally agree an animal job would be more fun. Ian always talks about how he wishes he looked into going to vet school. He worked at a vet office for 5 or so months while he was in college just as a part time job, and he really enjoyed it.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Puppy Dog

My vote is to get a job and work. Save a little bit of cash, mature a little, then go to school when you find something that you're interested in. I'm 28 and just started college when I was 27 and it's the best choice I ever made. I would have done badly if I had gone right away.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Just try me..

My suggestion is do something you don't mind for a job so you can afford what you love.

I was horse crazy.. I went into horses. I managed a large show/lesson barn, I trained horses, I taught lessons. I went to horse shows both showing and with students. Sounds great right?! No. HAVING to do what you love as a job sucked. I began to dread work because the fun was sucked out.

Now I am going to hopefully lol, get a job I will find interesting and challenging to afford all the crazy dog stuff I want to do (and spoil Darien a little)
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

I think you're making a smart choice. You can fulfill your love of animals through volunteering and taking care of your own, and find a career you are good at (and enjoy parts of) in order to pay the bills and afford your hobbies.