Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 PM
The Littlest Hound

Well I have no information on the PNW but now I want to move to Vegas...

We'd be upping your house to 5 dogs, but no small animals... Just 3 coonies, a basset, and an APBT who would ADORE a pool... come to think of it so would Rage...
Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Glutton for Crazy

LOL It's actually a very nice house, small, but nice, to rent. It has a pool but not much more by way of yard. However, it's close to several big parks. We lucked out and bought it when it bottomed out in the market. We're hoping to hold on to it and rent it out when we move and we'll positively be breed friendly but you might go insane here with that many dogs, well... we do alright with 4 and did alright with 5 but it's not for most people. :-P
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:55 AM
The Littlest Hound

Hurley is generally outdoor only (he has the Taj Mahal of all kennels) but I imagine that'd be a no-go with Vegas summers. Daisy rarely moves Liz actually rarely moves as well... she just lays on the couch.

My aunt & uncle live in Vegas, so we'd know people... hmmm...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Yeah, some keep dogs out all summer but I am hesitant to do so. If you use a kiddie pool and a mister system I'm sure it can be done safely. Also our winters get pretty bitter cold which surprises most but we have no trees or hills to hold the heat in. We obviously aren't like PA but we get down to and below freezing at night regularly.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:25 PM
The Littlest Hound

Yea, winters don't concern me - being from PA we do know how to winterize a kennel... it's the summer that is unknown territory

hmmm I have some thinking to do for the next few months.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Taxiderpy

From my experience Portland is a lot friendlier to dogs in general than most cities I've lived in, including Seattle. Several of my friends are in Portland, one has a largish ambull/pit thingy, the rest are smaller, but none of them have ever had problems finding a landlord that allowed dogs. The rent in Oregon is pretty cheap compared to up here too, I'm jealous.

Are you looking at living in a bigger city or smaller community? There are a ton of beautiful little towns out toward the coast. McMinnville, Dallas, and Monmouth are small little farm communities but within half an hour or so of Salem (plus McMinnville has the Spruce Goose!). Tillamook is beautiful too. The hard part is finding a job. They laid off a ton of folks at Intel a few years ago, and a lot of them are still unemployed. I've got friends with masters degrees in Portland working minimum wage jobs. One even has her K-12 teaching certificate.

ETA: OH yeah!!! Forgot about Albany. Honestly, that town felt pretty comfortable. I lived there for half a year with a family while I went to school. They have some awesome cultural/community things they do, like their wooden carousel (which may still be in progress, I carved some of the flowers on it). There are houses with land on the outskirts, and if you want to be in town they have some gorgeous historical neighborhoods. I lived in a 1870s victorian with three floors that the family I stayed with bought for only $60K. They restored it beautifully, and it had secret passages!!! So rad!

The main drawback there is there's a paper mill in town. However, it's outfitted with some kind of venting system that makes it not stink most of the year. Every few months they shut it off to do servicing and it makes the town smell like rotten mustard for a couple days.

Last edited by Romy; 11-29-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
From my experience Portland is a lot friendlier to dogs in general than most cities I've lived in, including Seattle. Several of my friends are in Portland, one has a largish ambull/pit thingy, the rest are smaller, but none of them have ever had problems finding a landlord that allowed dogs. The rent in Oregon is pretty cheap compared to up here too, I'm jealous.

I'm excited about the friendly part. Housing is more expensive in Oregon than Vegas but part of it will even out.. I think. LOL

Quote:
Are you looking at living in a bigger city or smaller community? There are a ton of beautiful little towns out toward the coast. McMinnville, Dallas, and Monmouth are small little farm communities but within half an hour or so of Salem (plus McMinnville has the Spruce Goose!). Tillamook is beautiful too. The hard part is finding a job. They laid off a ton of folks at Intel a few years ago, and a lot of them are still unemployed. I've got friends with masters degrees in Portland working minimum wage jobs. One even has her K-12 teaching certificate.

Hopefully an outskirt of Portland I think? Luckily Denis' job has a lot of openings in Oregon. He works for the dept of health and human services and doles out welfare, etc so where there is a need he has a job usually.

Quote:
ETA: OH yeah!!! Forgot about Albany. Honestly, that town felt pretty comfortable. I lived there for half a year with a family while I went to school. They have some awesome cultural/community things they do, like their wooden carousel (which may still be in progress, I carved some of the flowers on it). There are houses with land on the outskirts, and if you want to be in town they have some gorgeous historical neighborhoods. I lived in a 1870s victorian with three floors that the family I stayed with bought for only $60K. They restored it beautifully, and it had secret passages!!! So rad!

The main drawback there is there's a paper mill in town. However, it's outfitted with some kind of venting system that makes it not stink most of the year. Every few months they shut it off to do servicing and it makes the town smell like rotten mustard for a couple days.
I remember how badly that stunk as a kid now that you mention it! LOL

I am so impatient I sent a job app this morning.. :-X