Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

The bowfronts distort the view a lot.. almost to the point of being annoying. I hated looking through that glass when I had mine.

I'm a huge fan of long tanks, I have a 20 gallon long right now. I started with a 36 bow front, went to a 75 gallon south american cichlid tank, did the whole expensive pleco thing.. then converted it to a saltwater tank. Focused on primarily aggressive salt water fish, then sold everything and bought the 20 gallon long.. made that a coral tank with a pair of black and white clowns, got sick of that. Traded the clowns in on a sweet black frogfish. When he died, my heart broke and I swore off fish forever. Sold all of my saltwater stuff to prevent me from wasting all my money of expensive fish and corals again... then started my planted fresh water tank. I have a breeding pair of killifish in there now and a sweet tiger pleco. I was just at the fish store buying plants/snails/schooling fish yesterday to restock.

Nope. Not addicted at all.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:01 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
What do you guys think of a half moon or a bowfront? I think depthwise half moons might have some of the same problems as hexes. IF I get a tank it'll just have small fish in it like guppies, tetras, corydoras, and similar sized fish.
I think bowfronts are the way to go if you're bound and determined not to have a square tank. For really big tanks I like acrylics. Otherwise, save yourself some money and just go with a 20 - 29 gallon kit.

The main concern is waterflow and avoiding stagnant spots while providing enough hiding areas for your fish. A well decorated tank with a ton of hiding spots makes for happy fish.

I think when I get to my next big tank project I'm going to have one in my library/study that is a 300 gallon freshwater community tank.

Something like this just fills me with that inner peace feeling.

PSA: I am *NOT* a fan of saltwater aquatics. The deathtoll of wildlife involved with the saltwater tank industry I find utterly unacceptable.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

That is a GORGEOUS tank. I'm definitely a fan of the more natural setups. My betta has neon multicolored gravel at the moment and it drives me nuts I actually just bought some new gravel today - kind of a sandy, translucent color.

I don't get WHY aquariums are so addictive, they just are lol. I think being able to add fish and not have to deal with more work or anything does kind of help with the "animal wants" though. Much easier to just set up an aquarium than get a new puppy
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
The bf has 4 or 5 huge tanks. He used to breed fish (he still may, heck if I know).

I've had betta's (and had a gold fish when I was like 3) and I really don't get the appeal of fish. They just aren't the pet for me.
The last betta I had, Picasso, was the most awesome fish ever--he would even take treats from my fingers. When he died it wasnthe first time I'd ever cried for a fish.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post

PSA: I am *NOT* a fan of saltwater aquatics. The deathtoll of wildlife involved with the saltwater tank industry I find utterly unacceptable.
All of the corals I ever bought were fragged from established colonies. NONE were ever taken from the ocean (well I suppose the mother colony years and years ago).

All of the fish I bought were farm raised (other than the frog fish). The saltwater community is really pulling to stop the collection of wild corals and fish to preserve the environment and most reputable fish stores limit importation. Petco however does not.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
All of the fish I bought were farm raised (other than the frog fish). The saltwater community is really pulling to stop the collection of wild corals and fish to preserve the environment and most reputable fish stores limit importation. Petco however does not.
*Most* saltwater fishes in this world in aquariums at one point were born in an ocean. It's just reality. Very few species have tank born success on the commercial scale required to keep up with demand. Petco was a pioneer in the propagation of clownfish for the pet trade but it doesn't change that for me there is a huge problem with people acquiring a fish only after another 3-6 died getting the one to market - being poisoned out of an ocean a half a world away - drugged to the gills so it wouldn't die of shock - only to be plunked in a fishbowl after fishbowl where it is almost guaranteed to die due to neglect, overcrowding, disease, or simply stress. To me - on the scale of things the lucky ones die upon capture.

I admire the movement within the aquarium industry to limit impact but to me this is too little too late.