Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default Light therapy.

I bought a SAD lamp, 10000 lux. Just plugged it in, its great. Going to put it on a timer to come on in a morning. We don't get much daylight in the UK during the winter months, and I get really lethargic and sleepy, and miserable, so I'm hoping this helps!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Behavior Nerd

My mom has SAD and she loves her full spectrum lights - hopefully you have the same success!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I have a Happy Light (seriously, that's what it is called) and it seems to help. My father has SAD, and I suspect (though I don't have a formal diagnosis) that I do as well.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

I've been thinking about asking about light therapy for DSPS. I can't drive for long periods of time with sunglasses on or I start to fall asleep. Take the glasses off and I wake up. What's annoying is that I am also sensitive to light when I'm driving >.< (but it's more of an issue at night than during the day).

How much do one of these things cost, approximately?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I think mine cost about 40 bucks at the drug store, but its definitely a low end gadget. Mine is designed to be put next to your work station so that it basically shines into the corner of your eyes.

I suspect Dizzy has the kind that you put on a timer and that is supposed to shift your rhythms and I think those are more expensive . . . mine is just supposed to be a mood elevator.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Mine was about 60 and cheaper than the alarm clock types. You need to look.at the lamps lux level as that determines how long you need to use it. I've just hooked mine up to a timer plug so it comes on automatically in the morning before I get out of bed! It suggests an hrs exposure each day over a period of a week (minimum) to notice an effect. This morning is day 1, its come on fine!!! Very bright. Although I got an extra hr in bed anyway today so the sun is coming up a little.

Yesterday it was dark all day though..winter sucks.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein